Register Now
Pvillerob

How do you get your headset mic to work?

I have a Logitech G432 headphone/mic. It has the three banded 3.5mm plug, two for stereo audio and one for the mic.  Does anyone know if this headset is useable with the Xbox? Do I HAVE to use the wireless controller and headset adapter? 

Currently, I'm using a DAC/headphone amp connected to the Toslink output on the console so I can get decent volume, and not have the audio shut off in the middle of play. 

The headphone came with a 3.5mm splitter, and a 3.5mm>USB "headphone adapter".  But I  have no idea how those are supposed to be used.  I've tried various things, but cannot get the mic to be recognized. 

I resolved my Double NAT issue by setting my router to Bridge mode, but now the Xbox is saying I've got a UPnP issue, that may or may not interfere with online play. Does that have any bearing?

You could be using the wrong plug size. If you check it out, a lot of controllers require the smaller (I don't remember the size number) plug. Or it could be as simple as not having it plugged in all the way. A lot of headsets fight you on plugging in completely, leaving just a little bit out of the plug. Also have you considered ear buds that have microphones as well? I use Raycons, and have no issues whatsoever.

Edited by The Blackangel

I'm not completely sure, but I think it's your combined use of the DAC and Toslink output that may be causing the problem. As far as I can tell there're three ways to connect this thing.

1) Plug the headset straight into the controller using the 3.5 mm jack. Newer versions of the Xbox one controller (I assume your using an Xbox One) don't need the adapter, but older ones will, try and find out what model you using.

2) The 2 Male Y-splitter to connect the headphones to a dual audio output, but this really for PC users that would rather use that than the DAC, speaking of which.

3) Using the DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter). The DAC is used to connect to headphones to a device (In this case, you XBox) to create the 7.1 surround sound. The DAC connects to your console via USB, then one just plugs the 3.5mm jack on the headphones into the DAC.

Yes, your Toslink converter may have adapter inputs and outputs on, it, but the DAC need to be connected through USB from the console/PC to work properly because it's not just audio, it's data as well. It just seems to me DAC and optical audio just aren't designed to work together. My advice would to try to use the DAC and plug the headset into your console through USB.

Edited by Shagger

I assume the splitter splitter that came with the headset is something like this:

71MrERREZJL._AC_SL1300_.jpg

If that's the case you will also need a cable like this (AUX to RCA):

d0366f98-08a7-4bc7-9614-630ed5c9cbd0_1.4

What you need to do is first connect the male AUX cable to the headset to the splitter's headphone jack (which may be indicated with a green line and//or an image of a headset), then you need to connect a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable (I'm assuming one must have come with the headset) to the audio jack on the controller.  This will give your chat audio and microphone.  Then use the AUX to RCA cable pictured above and connect the other side of the splitter to the DAC, this will give you your in-game audio.

Edited by Crazycrab

32 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

I assume the splitter that came with the headset is something like this:

71MrERREZJL._AC_SL1300_.jpg

It Isn't, I've looked into the model. The Y-splitter has two male ends to one female end.

Edited by Shagger

Fixed

35 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

I assume the splitter splitter that came with the headset is something like this (AUX):

61qJtHPjA3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If that's the case you will also need a splitter like this (AUX to RCA):

41po3-JuLnL._AC_.jpg

What you need to do is first connect the male AUX cable to the headset to the AUX splitter, then you need to connect a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable from the green headphone jack (I'm assuming one must have come with the headset) to the audio jack on the controller.  This will give you your chat audio and microphone. Then use the AUX to RCA splitter pictured above and connect the other juck on the AUX splitter to the DAC, this will give you your in-game audio.

Turn the switch from on to off and if that doesn't work have your son press the big xbox button in the middle of the Controller then go all the way over to settings then down to prevences then hit voice and he might have his voice muted turn the switch from on to off and if that doesn't work have your son press the big xbox button in the middle of the Controller then go all the way over to settings then down to prevences then hit voice and he might have his voice muted