Register Now
Kane99

Will Xbox ever do a handheld?

There was many rumors of Xbox trying their hand at handhelds around the time the PSP and again when the PS vita came out, but Xbox never jumped into the fray. Do you think that Microsoft will ever produce a handheld gaming console? I remember hearing in the past that they weren't interested, but times change. 

Do you think they will ever make a handheld console? Or will their focus be on PC and console? 

I doubt they will make a hand held system. They're the biggest in the world as far as computers go, and when they entered into the gaming world with the original Xbox, they became a beast in the market. They don't need to make one, because they are under no threat. They have their rivals, but Microsoft will never close down. So if they don't see a need for it, they most likely won't bother. I still think Nintendo is going to leave the home market and focus strictly on hand held's that can go both ways, but mainly hand held.

No one can say for sure, but I think they are going to remain focused on Consoles and PC. This part of the gaming sector has been filled already by competitors like Nintendo.  Microsoft has already released the Lumia Smartphone so who knows, they might do a handheld platform for gaming. Only time will tell.

I believe they might or will release xbox handhelds, so far the biggest name of technology are android phones over selling iphones. Microsoft might release a teaser inside one of their magazine ads about the xbox handheld but if the xbox 720 is released it might or might not happen

If they were to do a hand held, then they would have to have every game on it either a DDL, or cartridge. I know the PSP had discs, but that was the main screw up for it. DDL's and carts run a lot better than the discs PSP had. But I don't see Xbox ever touching a cartridge. DDL is fine, but they would have to go into a whole new market alongside their home console. It didn't work for Game Gear, and wasn't the best for Gameboy so I wouldn't recommend they do it, and I absolutely don't see them doing it.

I'd prefer they expand out their apps on phones, and create some sort of play-anywhere element there with achievement support, etc. Obviously there aren't a ton of games, but if games like PUBG/Fortnite can be released on mobile devices, I'm sure MS could support an ecosystem of decent mobile games on Android/iOS.

Maybe even release some official mobile controller that holds the phone or something.

On 12/18/2020 at 11:29 AM, Empire said:

I'd prefer they expand out their apps on phones, and create some sort of play-anywhere element there with achievement support, etc. Obviously there aren't a ton of games, but if games like PUBG/Fortnite can be released on mobile devices, I'm sure MS could support an ecosystem of decent mobile games on Android/iOS.

Maybe even release some official mobile controller that holds the phone or something.

Xpass gaming cloud is coming to mobile devices soon so you won't have to worry about playing games on the go...

This rumor seems to be still doing the rounds even though Xbox has not actually made any announcement about a handheld console. I myself personally feel that is something that I am missing when it comes to Microsoft and their Xbox consoles, they really do need a handheld if I am honest, and I have been hoping for so long that they would announce one but so far we haven't had anything. I know they have released the cloud so that we can play using our phones which is amazing but so many people don't always want to be using their phones or even tablets for gaming purposes and that can leave so many left out. I keep hoping for a handheld and I do believe one day we may see it or at least I hope we do.

2 hours ago, Shortie said:

This rumor seems to be still doing the rounds even though Xbox has not actually made any announcement about a handheld console. I myself personally feel that is something that I am missing when it comes to Microsoft and their Xbox consoles, they really do need a handheld if I am honest, and I have been hoping for so long that they would announce one but so far we haven't had anything. I know they have released the cloud so that we can play using our phones which is amazing but so many people don't always want to be using their phones or even tablets for gaming purposes and that can leave so many left out. I keep hoping for a handheld and I do believe one day we may see it or at least I hope we do.

There is always that chance that it could happen. Things change, and I too can see MS taking a stab at a mobile Xbox handheld. I think their focus will first go onto perfecting streaming and gamepass, but once they have that all figured out, I could see a handheld being a viable option for gamers. Until then, I think they're going to focus on building the streaming up, to make sure it works. And then go from there. 

I think both MS and Sony will release new hybrid handhelds within the next couple of generations, I believe hybrids are the future of game consoles and will eventually replace the traditional bulky home console. I think both companies are taking a serious look at the success of the Switch and Steam Deck, as well as the massive boom in the number of companies making and selling hybrids within the past year or two, and see where the market is going