Register Now
Kane99

Will Nintendo produce another handheld?

The last Handheld that Nintendo made, I think was the Nintendo 2DS, but I may be wrong. Either way, we haven't had anything newer than the 3DS. When do you think we'll see the next Nintendo handheld? 

I suppose you could argue that the switch is their new handheld, but I don't agree with that. I guess the Switch Lite may be their current one, but I still would love to see a new DS console at some point. Do you think that'll happen? Or will it be Switch from here on out? 

On 8/5/2020 at 12:23 PM, The Blackangel said:

Docking ability aside, how is the Switch not a handheld?

Apart from that, I think after seeing the success of the Switch, Nintendo is probably moving to a portable/handheld market. Possibly entirely, and leaving Xbox and PlayStation to duke it out over home consoles.

Do you think we'll ever see a new DS/3DS console? Or will the switch be their new handheld from here on out? 

I doubt it. While it was extremely popular, and featured games that haven't been ported to the Switch, (such as Zelda OoT) unless there were massive upgrades it would be more of a step backwards than anything. They're still selling games for it, but I don't think they're making the system anymore and have no plans to do so. I played the DS/3DS a bit, but always preferred my GBASP over it. With the capabilities of the Switch, and it's popularity, I don't think we'll see another in the DS line being produced.

But I'm not a prophet or even a Nintendo insider, so I can't say for certain one way or another.

Edited by The Blackangel

Now, with the Switch being portable, I think there is not need for another handheld. Old Nintendo handhelds were light version of the main consoles, now the have 2 in 1, if you have the potence of a main console with the option of being handheld, you already have the handheld sector covered. The Switch Lite is exlusivelly portable, still it is the same machine that normal Switch.

But as you said, we are not prophets, maybe they launch a handheld device with inferior potence that the Switch, but a lot cheaper with other exclusive games, or myabe they could launch a Game Boy Classic Edition or similar.

You made good points @johnlink. But if you go back to the original Game Boy, and count through every Nintendo hand held up to the Switch, they have only consistently gotten more powerful and better. I could easily be completely wrong, but until I know differently, I still think Nintendo is going to focus more on the portable market. The PSP and PS Vita never did all that well, and Xbox never released any kind of handheld, so they would essentially have a monopoly on the market. For the time being anyway.

Edited by The Blackangel

Yes I think handhled is very important for Nintendo, but the Switch could be the answer to both markets, it's is a TV console, but is handhled too. A importnat thing I noticed in this generation is that a main Pokémon game is in the Switch. In all generations, all main Pokémon games are made for the handheld console, and the TV console get spin-offs. with Switch the line between a main console and a portable one is really blurry. We don't know of Switch is the successor of Wii U or 3DS, or both, or none. Before Switch release they said that Wii U would have a successor different from Switch, but today they are not saying it anymore, so maybe Switch is ultimate hybride to cover both markets, but the future will tell us.

So far we haven't heard anything in terms of a new handheld from Nintendo and one of the reasons for that could be because of their Switch Lite which is just that, a handheld console and they do seem to be focusing a lot more on the Switch at the moment. I would love to see a new DS if I am honest, their last one was the 3DS which my eldest had and he still has his in his bedroom in a drawer. I guess the question would be where they would take another DS, especially since they have the Switch Lite now. 

It's hard to say for sure. The Switch being a hybrid, I think they kinda have both handheld and home console covered with just the Switch, it would be counter-productive to have say another 3DS or gameboy come out to compete with the Switch. Sega did this in the past with the Nomad and Game Gear and it hurt them in the long run. I don't see Nintendo putting out another handheld right now, at least not until the Switch is no longer their focus.

Very unlikely. Phones have pretty much taken over that space, there's not enough of a market for dedicated handhelds today. Even during the 3DS's lifespan it didn't perform nearly as well as the DS era, and had a sharp drop towards the end as phones really took over. Nintendo saw the writing on the wall and pulled out instead of making a successor.

With the success of the Switch, they probably won't be going to regular handhelds anytime soon if ever again. They hybrid console that is the Switch has carved out a niche for Nintendo and they'll only get more successful with subsequent releases of Switch successors.

At this point I don't think any major game company is going to make a dedicated handheld system. The Switch fills the need for a handheld system since it's a tablet at it's core. You can take it with you and dock it and play on your tv if you wish. So I highly doubt Nintendo will ever come back with a standalone handheld system.