Register Now
The Blackangel

Hatred

I've talked about this game a lot, as it's one of my favorites, and actually therapeutic for me. Those of us that are misanthropic beyond most human comprehension need something to keep us in check. I would love to do what The Antagonist is doing, but obviously I can't. So I thought I would post a video clip of the beginning of the game I found on YouTube. Mainly because I don't have a clue how to record gameplay on a PC unless I set up a camera in front of the screen like my phone or something. But that's more of a hassle to me than it's worth.

I 100% get what you're saying and understand why you like this game and why you find it therapeutic like you said, but It's not for me. I don't mind violence in a video game, I just prefer it when it has real context in the game, like in The Last of Us games or if it's clearly a romp like in DOOM or more humorous like the Borderlands' series.

Hatred sits in an awkward place somewhere in between them. It's humourless, brutal, dark and stylish, but there's no tale to tell, no context or motive, and quite deliberately so. That's makes the violence in this game more uncomfortable and less engaging because you engage in mindless, brutal acts for no reason. The developers were going for shock value and controversy in a very deliberate way and I don't like it when dev's do that because it feels lazy. It's the mating call of a badly designed game that the dev's know it couldn't stand on its own merit and quality. Strip away the brutality and grainy art style from a hatred and what you end up with is a pretty average twin stick shooter.

I totally get why this would feel therapeutic to someone, even me. We've all got into a place where we're pissed off and just wanna rage. Hatred is the digital equivalent of a punching bag. I completely understand it, but I can't get over the fact that all dev's really wanted to do with this is cause a controversy, and that's the wrong reason to do anything.