Register Now
skyfire

Hellbound Release on Steam

It looks more of an homage to DOOM than a clone to me.  A clone would try  to disguise the influence of the original but this clearly isn't doing that.

Hell the Steam store description literally says:

Play a game inspired by '90s classics like DOOM, Quake, and Duke Nukem 3D. Enjoy non-stop action and gameplay without interruptions. The only things you can do is shoot, kill, move fast, and perform minimal interactions with the environment such as opening doors, pressing buttons, and finding secret locations.

Edited by Crazycrab

42 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

It looks more of an homage to DOOM than a clone to me.  A clone would try  to disguise the influence of the original but this clearly isn't doing that.

Just because the dev's are up front about, doesn't mean this wasn't created with the same lack of imagination. There's a million games like this. Like @skyfire said, even DOOM itself evolved to improve, so I just don't understand why dev's still think that doing this formula again and again is gonna help them stand out. Even the title, Hellbound, sounds like the first thing they wrote down. Sorry to shit on this so much, but I am getting a little sick of these FPS's that feel they have to be DOOM to feel old skool. Keep the basic environmental interactions and more floaty, fast-paced gameplay, but do something different with theme and design.

On 8/6/2020 at 7:12 PM, Shagger said:

Just because the dev's are up front about, doesn't mean this wasn't created with the same lack of imagination. There's a million games like this. Like @skyfire said, even DOOM itself evolved to improve, so I just don't understand why dev's still think that doing this formula again and again is gonna help them stand out. Even the title, Hellbound, sounds like the first thing they wrote down. Sorry to shit on this so much, but I am getting a little sick of these FPS's that feel they have to be DOOM to feel old skool. Keep the basic environmental interactions and more floaty, fast-paced gameplay, but do something different with theme and design.

Don't fix what ain't broke, I guess? Agreed games shouldn't outright copy each other, but taking inspiration from the genre is fine, lot of gamers like to just kill shit with high adrenaline gameplay