Register Now
Kane99

Should I build an old pc for old games?

On 3/25/2021 at 10:04 PM, killamch89 said:

If I were you, I'd build one for modern games but the beauty is that you can run both new and old games on that PC so you get the best of both worlds. The PC will also be future-proof as well.

well, this makes sense but it's not right, due to compatibility issue, some old games can't be played on modern devices, there is surely either a hardware or a software issue at some point :/

On 5/9/2021 at 7:20 PM, Patrik said:

well, this makes sense but it's not right, due to compatibility issue, some old games can't be played on modern devices, there is surely either a hardware or a software issue at some point :/

Actually, if you use Microsoft compatibility with it, then you get older games to work. That's how I play the original AOE 2 on my gaming laptop. 

32 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Actually, if you use Microsoft compatibility with it, then you get older games to work. That's how I play the original AOE 2 on my gaming laptop. 

it doesn't work always unfortunately, by using that, you are just pushing a game to be compatible with the system and not really emulating it like it's working on the chosen system itself :-(

On 8/6/2020 at 11:06 PM, Crazycrab said:

It's not a very practical way of playing older games but it does sounds like a fun little project.

Finding compatible parts is a challenge but i've seen people do this kind of thing on Youtube, it's possible.

Yeah, there are so many people who's done it already from the YouTube videos that I have watched in the past. Although, it's not something that I would be interested in doing but it looks cool from watching it get done. 

Some people prefer the experience of using an older computer with older peripherals to play. I can see why it would be more nostalgic. You'd essentially be experiencing the game as people played it back when it was new. Retro technology can often be really expensive for what it is though.

3 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think it's not about the experience of old PC but more like playing experience for the old games. Some games are definitely worth it. 

Of course yes, most old games are far more better when it comes to games originality unlike what we have today. 

On 12/9/2021 at 1:52 PM, StormyFire said:

Some people prefer the experience of using an older computer with older peripherals to play. I can see why it would be more nostalgic. You'd essentially be experiencing the game as people played it back when it was new. Retro technology can often be really expensive for what it is though.

There is a way these old hardwares have impact on us that the ones can't comprehend at all. They offer something unique.