Register Now
Kane99

Should I build an old pc for old games?

One option you may have, is you could go around to computer repair shops, and they may have parts lying around that are just taking up space. By that I mean small local shops, not something so big that it has multiple locations. Those usually ditch all their old stuff. But the other places often do have  what they term "junk parts" that are just wasting space. They may be willing to sell you something that you need for a really good price, or even give it to you. But don't hold your breath. That would be like getting struck by lightning while you're cashing in a billion dollar lottery ticket.

It would be really fun to build a PC with 2004 - 2008 parts. Sounds like a good side project. The downside to using old computers is the overall speed, but if you're looking for the nostalgia of playing old games it's all part of the experience. 

On 8/25/2020 at 10:02 PM, Kane99 said:

Yeah, I guess I didn't think of that. I've watched a lot of LGR videos about him building old PCs and he does explain the cost can be quite high. I wonder if I should just try to find a used PC from then and try to find parts as I go along. I may even have some old PCs lying about that I could take some parts out of maybe. 

Yeah true. There are a lot of ways to make old media work on newer devices. And thanks! 🙂

I actually watched that video a while back. I could probably do this with one of my old PCs. 

I actually have a raspberry pi for retro console games, got the retropi set up and have NES, SNES, and a bunch of other games. I haven't tried DOS or any PC games on it though. 

I disagree. I have a raspberry pi myself, and what I did was just buy a bundle case set, which included everything you need including the plugin, SD card etc. I only spent $80 or so. The only downside is that I use it on my TV, so playing PC games on it at the moment, isn't going to work for me. But yeah, I wouldn't say it's bulky. If anything it saves on room. 

That's great! I'm not quite certain about how it would run DOS Games but I think it should be fairly fine if it can emulate other consoles!

6 hours ago, skyfire said:

If you use DOSBOX then be it Linux or Windows, you can run the old games on the machine regardless of the base operting system that you have. No issues of compatibility in that case. 

I have tried DOSBOX several times and it never worked. It did absolutely nothing but waste space on my hard drive. So unless I'm missing something, I don't recommend it.

If you really want to play those old titles, then go for it, as due to the massive updates that Windows has received, it's no longer possible to play those old games on modern Windows due to compatibility issues.

Also building an old pc won't really cost you that much.

The only issues you will face when using your modern PC is with software compatibility, You don't really need to build an old school pc to run old games in fact that you can play 90-00' games on emulators and you need to fiddle with settings. There's no guarantee all games will work and its more likely than not that there's no workaround for certain games. This said, based on what's your PC system is, You can either browse ebay for parts or straight up buy older systems and tweak them. A rig that runs 90-00 games probably will be less than hundred bucks. A rig that runs 00-10 games will at most be 200 for max settings for its time.