Register Now
Kane99

Which NES do you have?

Do you have the original NES console? The one with the slot loading and the little door on the top. Or, do you own the top loader? I currently own the original NES, but have wanted to own a top loader NES for years now. I hear they're more reliable than the original NES and are cooler looking to some extent. 

Which one do you own? Or, do you own both? 

I used to have the original NES, it still in my parents house, but my brother that lives there kept it when I move out, I prefer how the original NES looks, but the top loader NES has a lot of advantages, the plastic looks cheaper, but has better video out and cartridges work better, since the original NES sometimes don't load due that unnecesary mechanism, also has a longer life cycle.

I have the original NES. Top loading cartridge systems are better for the life of the cart, but also more expensive. The unnecessary setup of pushing the cart down in the NES was stressful on the whole thing. If you’re looking to actually get an NES, then spend the money and get a top loader if nostalgia isn’t a factor. For someone like me however, nostalgia is an ENORMOUS part of it. That’s why I don’t own a top loader.

13 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I have the original NES. Top loading cartridge systems are better for the life of the cart, but also more expensive. The unnecessary setup of pushing the cart down in the NES was stressful on the whole thing. If you’re looking to actually get an NES, then spend the money and get a top loader if nostalgia isn’t a factor. For someone like me however, nostalgia is an ENORMOUS part of it. That’s why I don’t own a top loader.

If nostalgia isn't a factor and you have a little money then I think the best thing to get by a long way is the RetroUSB AVS:

RetroUSB-AVS-Console-wController-FL.jpg

It's a modern NES system of which there are tons on the market but unlike others which use unreliable software emulation or cannibalise old parts the designers of this thing have actually been very clever.  It uses a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) to simulate the original hardware.  An FPGA is a logic board that can be programmed to simulate the circuitry of whatever you want, in this case an NES and it's much more reliable that software emulation.

It works with the original controllers as well as having its own wireless controllers with variable turbo. It's fully compatible with NES (all regions) and Famicom games (including disk drive) and it's HDMI and upscales to 720p.

The only drawbacks are that it won't work with Light Guns because of issues with refresh rate and so on and at around $200 it sure ain't cheap.

I actually ended up buying the NES Classic Edition (miniature remake) last Summer as an addition to my room. I didn't want to buy a 1985 original because of functionality. It' definitely a lot of fun and gets more attention from my guests than my PS4.

10 hours ago, Wolves said:

I actually ended up buying the NES Classic Edition (miniature remake) last Summer as an addition to my room. I didn't want to buy a 1985 original because of functionality. It' definitely a lot of fun and gets more attention from my guests than my PS4.

Those things make me want to puke. They're an insult, slap in the face, and a disgrace to gaming as a whole, regardless of which one you get.

Edited by The Blackangel

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Those things make me want to puke. They're an insult, slap in the face, and a disgrace to gaming as a whole, regardless of which one you get.

Some of original NES consoles can have problems so I bought the CE because I knew it would be alright for a long time. I hardly ever play it - it's more of a decoration in my mancave.