Register Now
Kane99

Will there ever be a PS2 Classic?

10 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

Is their any need if going retrospect? I don't see  enough reasons buddy fir Sony to go back making PS2 classic remake. 

What's your favorite Playstation 2 classic that you have played over the years you have been playing? 

I don't see Sony ever making a classic machine again after the PSC bombed. The only reason the machines are even starting to sell is because of the huge price slash and the work of the modding community

8 hours ago, Empire said:

I don't see Sony ever making a classic machine again after the PSC bombed. The only reason the machines are even starting to sell is because of the huge price slash and the work of the modding community

The reason it bombed was because they half-assed the production of it. They input some pal games for the American audience, which if you know, isn't meant to play on NTSC devices, and I believe it caused some slowdown of the games. At least the Pal versions. 

On top of that, the selection was kinda lacking. We expected a lot more for what people were paying. 

I've been seeing prices for them go up in price as of late though. So if you haven't picked one up yet, you may want to soon. I still need to buy one. 

Anyway, Sony could make it work, if they actually cared about making the emulation work proper. They clearly rushed that PSC to catch onto the craze of classic/small consoles. Sega made the same mistake with AtGames, and they made a new Sega Gen classic that was actually good. So there's a chance Sony could try it again, even with a PS1 and then maybe a PS2 classic. I'd love to see them try again. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

They clearly rushed that PSC to catch onto the craze of classic/small consoles.

I'll begin by saying that I agree with all of your post, but this part in particular rings the most true. What was the rush, according to Sony? This wasn't one of their mainline consoles, nor a handheld nor a peripheral to either. It was just some toy with poor emulation ability and limited intellectual property.

If there is to be a PS2C - and I would like there to be if done properly - they'd have to fix the previous issues which is easier said than done. I imagine their biggest problem of not having very good games before was due to licensing: what games do they own and can reliably put onto an emulator? I doubt there's all that many, let alone good, instantly recognisable and nostalgic titles. Most of all I want them to take their time with it. Nobody needs this thing so badly that it requires cut corners, and Sony isn't exactly short on cash.

In answer to the question, I'm unsure if there will be one. Critical or consumer opinion doesn't seem to steer Sony's course, so if they think there's money in a Playstation 2 Classic it's probably going to happen. But then I don't know if it made them enough money even with more sales via the rapid discounts offered. It's a head scratcher.

I doubt it's even feasible due to several licensing issues and companies going bust over time and who owns what license to what game. It would be a pain in the ass to make it even work and get something decent on the system. Take something like tony hawk pro skater 3 imo would be a must to put onto a ps2 classic, the only problem is Microsoft owns the tony hawk franchise now, needless to say you also have the licensed music to deal with. Gran turismo a staple sony franchises also not going to work to put on there for the very same reasons. 

Needless to say a lot of the good ps2 games like jak and daxter, metal gear solid, sly cooper and ico and shadow of the collusus and rachet & clank just to name a few have had Hd collections on ps3. Like are you going to put the ps2 versions on a ps2 classic or the hd versions? It would be much easier for sony to just re-release these collections on ps5 like slab them on a disc again and sell them for 30-40 bucks and you no doubt have a winner on your hand (again). If i had to choose woulden't mind having the hd versions of both dark cloud games on one disc come on sony make it happen.

21 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I'll begin by saying that I agree with all of your post, but this part in particular rings the most true. What was the rush, according to Sony? This wasn't one of their mainline consoles, nor a handheld nor a peripheral to either. It was just some toy with poor emulation ability and limited intellectual property.

If there is to be a PS2C - and I would like there to be if done properly - they'd have to fix the previous issues which is easier said than done. I imagine their biggest problem of not having very good games before was due to licensing: what games do they own and can reliably put onto an emulator? I doubt there's all that many, let alone good, instantly recognisable and nostalgic titles. Most of all I want them to take their time with it. Nobody needs this thing so badly that it requires cut corners, and Sony isn't exactly short on cash.

In answer to the question, I'm unsure if there will be one. Critical or consumer opinion doesn't seem to steer Sony's course, so if they think there's money in a Playstation 2 Classic it's probably going to happen. But then I don't know if it made them enough money even with more sales via the rapid discounts offered. It's a head scratcher.

Yeah the whole rushed release was their attempt to catch on to the classic consoles that dropped around the time. They could have easily succeeded if they didn't rush and took time to develop it better, much like what sega did. 

But yeah, if there is money there, they will probably try again. When that is, could be anyone's guess. 

1 hour ago, Yaramaki said:

I doubt it's even feasible due to several licensing issues and companies going bust over time and who owns what license to what game. It would be a pain in the ass to make it even work and get something decent on the system. Take something like tony hawk pro skater 3 imo would be a must to put onto a ps2 classic, the only problem is Microsoft owns the tony hawk franchise now, needless to say you also have the licensed music to deal with. Gran turismo a staple sony franchises also not going to work to put on there for the very same reasons. 

Needless to say a lot of the good ps2 games like jak and daxter, metal gear solid, sly cooper and ico and shadow of the collusus and rachet & clank just to name a few have had Hd collections on ps3. Like are you going to put the ps2 versions on a ps2 classic or the hd versions? It would be much easier for sony to just re-release these collections on ps5 like slab them on a disc again and sell them for 30-40 bucks and you no doubt have a winner on your hand (again). If i had to choose woulden't mind having the hd versions of both dark cloud games on one disc come on sony make it happen.

Yeah that's the unfortunate truth. Licensing would be a bitch to deal with for a lot of games. But if they focused on just exclusives they can easily port, then I could see it happening. Especially if they already have license agreements with the games on their PlayStation shop. I'm sure there are more than enough games on their shop marketplace that features PS2 and PS1 games that could potentially be places on a new classic system. We just might not get all of the classics we want due to licensing, but I'm sure they can think of alternatives to put on there. 

6 hours ago, danielgaryuu said:

I think PS2 Classic would go for maybe $75 or something like that. But there are so many games for it so Im not too sure.

Considering the PS1 classic started at $100 if I remember correctly, I doubt they'd charge less than $100 for a PS2 classic console. I could see it going to a bit more than $100, because it seems a lot of the newer classic consoles are reaching $100+.

I'd love for it to cost $75 or so, but I doubt it, especially with how it's going to be tougher to port these games, and the licensing as well. 

On 8/10/2020 at 1:56 PM, Kane99 said:

The PlayStation Classic came out a couple years ago by now, and it didn't go over too well. The emulation was mediocre, and a lot of the ISOs on the system were the PAL version and not the US version, which caused issues with some games. Some people were able to modify the device to add other games, which is probably a more appealing idea. 

Anyway, this is not about the PS classic. But, about a possible future PS2 classic. Do you think Sony will try their hand at another classic console? I think it would be cool if they released a PS2 classic, but I imagine it would be a pricey one, considering how big games are on the PS2. I could easily see a PS2 classic going for like $100 or more. 

What do you guys think? 

Unlikely. I'm pretty sure the PS2/Xbox era had such a diverse library of games, with alot of those games being shared between the two consoles, that it'd be kind of random to choose a set of games to throw on a PS2 mini. 

Error of PS2 is gone, it will be hard for Sony to consider making a classic version for the then popular gaming console. Sony's attention have shifted to making more PS5 and are considering the retirement of PS4, I believe PS6 release is forthcoming. 

10 hours ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

Unlikely. I'm pretty sure the PS2/Xbox era had such a diverse library of games, with alot of those games being shared between the two consoles, that it'd be kind of random to choose a set of games to throw on a PS2 mini. 

Of course, but I'm sure there are enough exclusives to make it a reality. How many games do most classic consoles hold? I don't remember what the PS1 classic had, but I'm sure if they included the same amount of games it would still sell decently. 

But the big issue would be licencing all of these games years later. Probably the reason that not every PS2 game is available digitally for the PS4 and 5. 

On 8/15/2022 at 3:13 PM, danielgaryuu said:

I think PS2 Classic would go for maybe $75 or something like that. But there are so many games for it so Im not too sure.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:10 PM, Kane99 said:

Considering the PS1 classic started at $100 if I remember correctly, I doubt they'd charge less than $100 for a PS2 classic console. I could see it going to a bit more than $100, because it seems a lot of the newer classic consoles are reaching $100+.

I'd love for it to cost $75 or so, but I doubt it, especially with how it's going to be tougher to port these games, and the licensing as well. 

It would be a complete steal for anyone to get Playstation 2 Classic for $75. I couldn't even find it online the last time that I had looked for it. 

If it's sold within the cost of $150-$200+, it's a fair price from how the system is now in the market. 

On 8/21/2022 at 8:23 AM, Kane99 said:

Of course, but I'm sure there are enough exclusives to make it a reality. How many games do most classic consoles hold? I don't remember what the PS1 classic had, but I'm sure if they included the same amount of games it would still sell decently. 

But the big issue would be licencing all of these games years later. Probably the reason that not every PS2 game is available digitally for the PS4 and 5. 

Something like 25, to 30 or more. Licensing issues, in my opinion, would be linked to the fact that the library of the PS2/Xbox 1 era was so enormous. It's not impossible bro, but it's rather unlikely. I personally think that the "mini" wave of consoles is effectively dead. I prefer the original consoles for the most part, but they could very easily make a Nintendo 64 Classic/Mini and a Gamecube Classic/Mini; the former of which would sell in troves, and the Gamecube of which COULD potentially sell alot as well because so many people missed that Nintendo era.