Register Now
Kane99

Will there ever be a PS2 Classic?

5 hours ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

Something like 25, to 30 or more. Licensing issues, in my opinion, would be linked to the fact that the library of the PS2/Xbox 1 era was so enormous. It's not impossible bro, but it's rather unlikely. I personally think that the "mini" wave of consoles is effectively dead. I prefer the original consoles for the most part, but they could very easily make a Nintendo 64 Classic/Mini and a Gamecube Classic/Mini; the former of which would sell in troves, and the Gamecube of which COULD potentially sell alot as well because so many people missed that Nintendo era.

You're probably right. I think it mostly works best for retro consoles anyway. Once you hit the generation with the PS2, things start to get murky with the licensing, plus probably the hardware needed to make it work properly. They clearly had their issues with the PS1 classic, so maybe it'd be best to not do anything later. There's no chance a PS3 classic would ever be made. 

On 8/22/2022 at 5:59 PM, Kane99 said:

You're probably right. I think it mostly works best for retro consoles anyway. Once you hit the generation with the PS2, things start to get murky with the licensing, plus probably the hardware needed to make it work properly. They clearly had their issues with the PS1 classic, so maybe it'd be best to not do anything later. There's no chance a PS3 classic would ever be made. 

PS3 classic wouldn't be cost friendly in any way, plus emulation would surely be a nightmare as well. Hopefully the new online service gives us all the old PS3 games playable.

9 minutes ago, Demon_skeith said:

PS3 classic wouldn't be cost friendly in any way, plus emulation would surely be a nightmare as well. Hopefully the new online service gives us all the old PS3 games playable.

It wouldn't make sense for the PS3 considering it's still a bit fresh on our minds. As well, it would need hardware similar to a PS3 and I doubt Sony would want to go that direction. I imagine it would be pretty costly as well. So it just isn't practical. It's a lot more practical to just re-release the games on the PSN marketplace. 

On 9/27/2022 at 12:31 AM, Kane99 said:

It wouldn't make sense for the PS3 considering it's still a bit fresh on our minds. As well, it would need hardware similar to a PS3 and I doubt Sony would want to go that direction. I imagine it would be pretty costly as well. So it just isn't practical. It's a lot more practical to just re-release the games on the PSN marketplace. 

Eh, PS3 seems like ages ago now that PS5 is finally taking over, but we do need to see some love for PS2 one of these days.

On 8/11/2020 at 8:29 AM, skyfire said:

My question is how you are going to jusitfy the monetization of that device? Who is going to make games for that old device? As is old device remade can't get much benefits. 

This is the issue. Most of the players won't want to spend a lot on a Playstation 2 classic since they still have the old console working just fine. There will also be a challenge of gamers not interested in playing some of those old games. 

On 10/23/2022 at 9:28 AM, Ajibusu said:

This is the issue. Most of the players won't want to spend a lot on a Playstation 2 classic since they still have the old console working just fine. There will also be a challenge of gamers not interested in playing some of those old games. 

Making a PlayStation 2 classic is that much of a bad idea though , improving the engine and making it Match with the modern requirement for a good console , I guess people would still be willing to out their try their favorite video games of that era on an upgraded PlayStation 2 console.