Register Now
Kane99

Will there ever be a PS2 Classic?

The PlayStation Classic came out a couple years ago by now, and it didn't go over too well. The emulation was mediocre, and a lot of the ISOs on the system were the PAL version and not the US version, which caused issues with some games. Some people were able to modify the device to add other games, which is probably a more appealing idea. 

Anyway, this is not about the PS classic. But, about a possible future PS2 classic. Do you think Sony will try their hand at another classic console? I think it would be cool if they released a PS2 classic, but I imagine it would be a pricey one, considering how big games are on the PS2. I could easily see a PS2 classic going for like $100 or more. 

What do you guys think? 

This year does mark the 20th anniversary of the system so it's definitely possible, but there is a problem with the idea.  Working PS2's are not rare and still quite reliable so you can get working models for comparite pennies compared to an NES, SNES or even a GameCube.  You go to a car boot sale in the UK and you can usually find one with working controllers and a bundle of games for about £40 - £50.

I can't really see Sony releasing a classic console these days. Too much focus and development on the PS5 that there probably isn't enough time and money to roll out hundreds of thousands of newly manufactured devices. It would be awesome though, I had some fantastic times on the PS2. I remember 007 being my game at the time.

On 8/11/2020 at 3:29 AM, skyfire said:

My question is how you are going to jusitfy the monetization of that device? Who is going to make games for that old device? As is old device remade can't get much benefits. 

Well all they would need is the ISOs like the PlayStation classic. Of course they need to get permission from the publishers and devs of the games they want on it, but it would be fairly simple. The only other issue is the fact that PS2 games tend to be hefty in size, so if it happens, the PS2 classic would need a lot of space. Which will cost consumers even more. 

On 8/16/2020 at 3:18 AM, Oliver said:

No. Reason is the games are too large. They'd have to spend more in bigger storage. That brings the cost of the console up to an unreasonable price.

True. That's my biggest concern. My guess is, if they do make a PS2 classic down the road, they won't have a lot of games on it. I don't recall how many the PS classic had, so maybe around that amount, or likely less. 

On 8/23/2020 at 10:12 AM, Wolves said:

I can't really see Sony releasing a classic console these days. Too much focus and development on the PS5 that there probably isn't enough time and money to roll out hundreds of thousands of newly manufactured devices. It would be awesome though, I had some fantastic times on the PS2. I remember 007 being my game at the time.

I don't think their core team would even be involved in the PS2 classic if it were to become a thing. I imagine they had a small team handle the original PS classic, and if they do a PS2 classic, they'd probably use the same team. But, I don't see that happening anytime soon. I think it's a ways off if it ever happens. Would be cool though, I agree. 🙂