Register Now
Spikey

Donkey Kong

You didn't say if you mean the original Donkey Kong or other games. I will speak about both cases.

The first Donkey Kong is really limited, it has only 4 stages and repeats the cycle again and again until game over. Same for the sequels. But there is a really cool version, Donkey Kong for Game Boy, it has a lot of new mechanics, and 100 levels and is one of the best games for such handheld. Other game with similar gameplay is Mario vs Donkey Kong for Game Boy Advance.

The Donkey Kong Country saga is really spectacular and is today considered the main universe for Donkey Kong. My favourite game is DKC 2 Diddy's Kong Quest, it has the best levels and music, too bad I can't play with Donkey Kong himself here, so the first game is one of my favourites too, but gameplay was more limited and simple. The DKC Returns for Wii is great, almost a perfect platformer, but the villains are really lame compared to the Kremlins, Tropical Frezze could be better but I haven't played it yet.

Edited by johnlink

On 8/12/2020 at 11:38 AM, johnlink said:

You didn't say if you mean the original Donkey Kong or other games. I will speak about both cases.

The first Donkey Kong is really limited, it has only 4 stages and repeats the cycle again and again until game over. Same for the sequels. But there is a really cool version, Donkey Kong for Game Boy, it has a lot of new mechanics, and 100 levels and is one of the best games for such handheld. Other game with similar gameplay is Mario vs Donkey Kong for Game Boy Advance.

The Donkey Kong Country saga is really spectacular and is today considered the main universe for Donkey Kong. My favourite game is DKC 2 Diddy's Kong Quest, it has the best levels and music, too bad I can't play with Donkey Kong himself here, so the first game is one of my favourites too, but gameplay was more limited and simple. The DKC Returns for Wii is great, almost a perfect platformer, but the villains are really lame compared to the Kremlins, Tropical Frezze could be better but I haven't played it yet.

Donkey Kong Country is what really got me into Donkey Kong games as the original didn't appeal to me. I also liked the introduction of Diddy Kong as a playable character and the stage designs were really spectacular.

When I read the title it was like the very early 80s wasn't it? I remember having family played it back in the 90s when I was around.

On 8/12/2020 at 4:55 PM, The Blackangel said:

Do you mean Donkey Kong, or Donkey Kong Country?

This

The arcade style Donkey Kong is not my favourite but Donkey Kong Country was my jam back in the day! I don't remember my favourite level exactly but I remember riding a rhino as well as underwater levels. So much fun!

On 5/13/2021 at 9:13 PM, lludawg said:

The arcade style Donkey Kong is not my favourite but Donkey Kong Country was my jam back in the day! I don't remember my favourite level exactly but I remember riding a rhino as well as underwater levels. So much fun!

Indeed it was a good game and a lot of fans are out there for the game. 

I’m older so we had the Atari version which included Donkey Kong, the original. While the graphics were different back then versus now, it was still a fun game to play & my family enjoyed it. Didn’t care for Donkey Kong Jr. Didn’t have the same feel. Never tried Donkey Kong Country.

On 3/29/2021 at 9:32 PM, killamch89 said:

Donkey Kong Country is what really got me into Donkey Kong games as the original didn't appeal to me. I also liked the introduction of Diddy Kong as a playable character and the stage designs were really spectacular.

Diddy Kong was my favorite character.  I use to think that he is the best in the game especially when you want to have full control of what goes on in Donkey Kong Country. 

Well that was fucking hard...took me about 7 hours, and the last two were spent on that fuel level and King K Rool. Im very proud actually, first time I actually finished a Donkey Kong Country Game, the last time I attempted to finish one was like 10 years ago and I only got as far as the factory levels.

20220722_181304.jpg

Edited by kingpotato

Man I miss Donkey Kong games. I think they're due for another classic. I need to revisit Donkey Kong Country, as it's been a while since I last played it. And honestly it holds up really well today in terms of gameplay, graphics, sounds, etc. 

I also need to get my hands on the other games in the series, because I only played the first and a small bit of the second game.