Register Now
Redschyte

8gb ram still worth?

The short answer is no. 

The slightly longer answer is you will still be able to play some games with just 8 gig but you want at least 16 to play most 'heavy' (assume you mean major AAA titles) on anything but minimum settings without major frame rate issues. Ideally 32 gb of ram is desirable, but 16 should be adequate. Both the PS5 and Xbox Series X have 16gb so that should give you some idea of an industry standard moving forward. If you have only 8 you're going to be left behind as most games will default to 16 as a minimum. 

If you're unsure if you can play a particular game try going here: https://www.pcgamebenchmark.com and downloading the compatibility tester. It'll tell you what you can and cannot run.

I've seen alot of games coming out with recommended spec's including 16GB of ram with 8GB being the minimum. When we see multiplatform games come out for next gen and PC, I don't think 8GB of ram would be enough. If I was to build a new PC now, I wouldn't have any less than 32GB (2x16GB) in it.

8GB RAM is only useful for the normal office and surfing type of the PCs.

If you are planning on playing games go with the 16GB RAM and the higher if possible. Most of the games that you'd find run a lot of background services. So 24GB RAM is also often low but not all folks do development and need such games with background services running. 

On 8/17/2020 at 5:20 PM, Redschyte said:

Well, 8 gb ram is still smooth to play a heavy game in this year? What do you think about it?

8GB is sufficient with about any game out in the industry. Upgrade to 16 later if the eight doesn't work out for you. From experience, most videos I've played while running on this memory, have processed without any lag.

Remember, you can always upgrade. 

1 hour ago, Alexander. said:

8GB is sufficient with about any game out in the industry. 

Not at all. I guess you didn't play the recent games it seems. Try running the modern games released after 2018. 8GB would eat your PC in in the game loading itself. 

Hell even Mobile version fortnite requires 8GB. 

You must be playing angry birds or humble bundle games which play under 6 GB RAM.

5 hours ago, skyfire said:

Not at all. I guess you didn't play the recent games it seems. Try running the modern games released after 2018. 8GB would eat your PC in in the game loading itself. 

Hell even Mobile version fortnite requires 8GB. 

You must be playing angry birds or humble bundle games which play under 6 GB RAM.

Sorry but you're wrong.  Modern games, even massive, system hungry, full boar and roar, AAA budget, open world, high graphical fidelity games in truth... don't use anything close to that much system RAM.  In case you don't believe me this is a this a screenshot I just took of resource manager while playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I will point that I was playing on Ultra at 1440p and I was in game, not in the menu or anything:

image.thumb.png.7e7cbdde1b22d1026d06d94c9b4f1ab4.png

The reason for this as I've tried to explain before is the game engines much prefer to use the VRAM on the card, NOT the system RAM on the motherboard whenever possible.  It's faster, easier to access and that is exactly what the developers design their games to do (if they are optimising their games properly that is) because the system RAM is used for system tasks such as the OS and desktop apps like Chrome in my case.  Results will vary and it depends largely on how much VRAM is on your particular graphics card.

I still maintain that 16Gb is better to play it safe, which is what I have and you might have noticed I'm using more than half with both AC and Chrome running.  But for lower tier setups I still think 8Gb will play most modern games fine. 

Edited by Crazycrab

Yes that is because if the graphics card has 3GB onwards capacity, you are pretty much compensated on graphic part but you can't have pre 2016 devices with 8GB RAM and No graphic card to play the A level games. Think about it, most of the new games released since 2019, are too much graphically demanding, and without Graphics card  and even with 8GB RAM you are not going to play it comfortably. I am not saying one can't run completely but definitely you wont get much from some of games. 

I have 8 GB RAM and I've not faced any issues. It's definitely sufficient enough for now. For the future? Who knows, but like has been said above, the new consoles have 16 GB RAM so that probably means 8 GB won't be sufficient for the newer games.

On 10/30/2020 at 3:12 AM, skyfire said:

16GB is definitely going to be new normal from the 2020 onwards. And hopefully 24GB to 32GB is going to be pretty good range for the future games. 

I agree. With titles like the Call Of Duty games among others that are very demanding, 16GB will most definitely be the new normal. As a matter of fact, I'd argue that 16GB has been the new normal since 2018 onward.

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I agree. With titles like the Call Of Duty games among others that are very demanding, 16GB will most definitely be the new normal. As a matter of fact, I'd argue that 16GB has been the new normal since 2018 onward.

Yes even my League of Legends PC is taking like 4GB of RAM. so as games each year change a lot, they will consume more RAM.