Register Now
StaceyPowers

GTA 6: How to parody a real-life world that now feels like a parody?

I think I remember reading in an interview some years back that Dan Houser was relieved not to be working on a GTA game at the time because real-life had become so bonkers it would be hard to know how to parody it since it already seemed like a parody.

Well, now real life is about ten times crazier than it was whenever I read that, and hypothetically, GTA 6 is on the way. How do you think they will tackle the challenge of trying to do their usual hyperbolic parody of real life when real life is already crazier than any video game?

I've often said this about my job. One couldn't write a sitcom about my place of work because nobody could write anything that's actually funnier that what really happens there. I suppose GTA 6 faces a similar problem.

Hypothetically, of course, if GTA 6 is coming (and that's a bit if, and it won't be for years if it is), they would have to walk a dangerous line between being that parody we know about and getting, as so-called "gamers" would put it, "to political". Yeah, because the war themed FPS's and crime sim's like GTA they seem to be obsessed with can't relate to politics at all 🙄. And that's the real issue IMO with a new GTA because a big portion of the GTA fandom, whilst I don't mean to stereotype, do pull in that kind of social-political demographic. It's difficult to see how Rockstar can include themes parodying this world without including themes of immigration, BLM, COVID-19, LGBTQ rights and the other big political hot spots without pissing the "gamers" off, even if is  just a parody. You can barely have a female lead in a video game without them loosing their fucking minds. No wait, I'm being unfair. Include a free roaming camera and give her a nice ass, they might be on board.

Trying to parody this world in a GTA game would be hard, you're right. Trying to parody this world in a GTA game in a way that the fanbase will accept, almost impossible.