Register Now
Shagger

Black Myth: Wukong, a new Chinese Action Adventure RPG

A lot of chatter on Twitter about a new single player action adventure/RPG game being developed by Chinese indie studio Game Science Studio called Black Myth: Wukong. It is based on the mythology of "Journey to the West", a Chinese novel written in the 16nth century during the Ming Dynasty. The gameplay looks phenomenal, especially for a pre-alpha build. That's also why we should not expect word for a release date anytime soon, but I reckon mid-late 2021.

What does concern me is the very real possibility of power hungry, attention desperate, right wing western policies getting the way just because it's a Chinese developer. I hope I'm just being paranoid, but that alone might cause this game problems it doesn't deserve. I'll be keeping an eye on this title and really wish it all the best.

Edited by Shagger

It looks amazing, but those of us here in the states may never get the opportunity to find out. Since Covid, and the ban on TikTok, anything Chinese has gotten so much hate here, that it’s like it was after 9/11 for Muslims and Arabs in general. The American people are always looking for someone to hate and use as a scapegoat. 

Since the gameplay was leaked it's been getting lots of attention and it's not hard to see why, It looks incredible!  I reckon it's only a matter of time before some western publisher pays to distribute it, hell their probably bidding as we speak.  Of course it would be better if the developer can afford to finish the game and publish it themselves globally.  I really hope this turns out well and we can all enjoy this.

I'm surprised there is no topic for this game yet. As the entire internet was up in buzz about it for a few weeks.

If you somehow missed it, here is the trailer:

I have to say I'm not as impressed as others about this. I seems like a generic take on hack and slash genre, and I'm not familiar with the myth it's based on so it can't earn points for that.
What really bugged me about the trailer is that if the character can turn into a bug at will, then why would you ever want to fight anyone? You could just fly past every encounter.
Also as someone familiar with software development I can't help but notice that there isn't much going on in this trailer. It seems to me that this is a tech demo, not a fleshed out game yet,

What do you think, does it deserve all the hype it gets?

1 minute ago, m76 said:

I looked for it in the gaming section not in news.

You can adjust the search parameters in the drop down menu of the search bar even if you are on a specific sub-forum or topic, but still, it's an easy mistake to make and no harm done. 

5 hours ago, m76 said:

Also as someone familiar with software development I can't help but notice that there isn't much going on in this trailer. It seems to me that this is a tech demo, not a fleshed out game yet,

Actually the demo is fully playable which you can see here in a video the developer posted on Chinese social media:

Now obviously it's one section of the game and it still needs a ton of work, but the fact that it is playable and looks so polished this early on is a very encouraging sign.

10 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Actually the demo is fully playable which you can see here in a video the developer posted on Chinese social media:

Now obviously it's one section of the game and it still needs a ton of work, but the fact that it is playable and looks so polished this early on is a very encouraging sign.

I've made similar playable demos before, and that doesn't mean the development is very advanced. It's hard to convey in words, but this demo has that same rudimentary feel to it. Without any of the backend that goes into a complex game. I might be wrong of course it's hard to definitely tell how far the development is based on a video. But that's the vibe I got off of it.

57 minutes ago, m76 said:

I've made similar playable demos before, and that doesn't mean the development is very advanced. It's hard to convey in words, but this demo has that same rudimentary feel to it. Without any of the backend that goes into a complex game. I might be wrong of course it's hard to definitely tell how far the development is based on a video. But that's the vibe I got off of it.

Game development isn't baked per slice, believe us mere mortals who are not involved with software engineering when I say we get that.

When this demo went viral, the developer took to social media to apologize for the "flaws", so we're obvious not dealing with EA Sports who are happy to say "At least it's not a 1 out of 5". The fact the developer actually respects the craft enough to care and produce something as good as this is at such an early stage is what presents the potential here, something a hell of a lot better than the "pinky promise CGI, send money now" approach.

Edited by Shagger

2 hours ago, Shagger said:

Game development isn't baked per slice, believe us mere mortals who are not involved with software engineering when I say we get that.

When this demo went viral, the developer took to social media to apologize for the "flaws", so we're obvious not dealing with EA Sports who are happy to say "At least it's not a 1 out of 5". The fact the developer actually respects the craft enough to care and produce something as good as this is at such an early stage is what presents the potential here, something a hell of a lot better than the "pinky promise CGI, send money now" approach.

I'm not blaming the developers at all. I'm blaming the fans who read more into it than they possibly should. And through that setting it up as a potential disappointment in face of unrealistic expectations.

11 hours ago, m76 said:

I'm not blaming the developers at all. I'm blaming the fans who read more into it than they possibly should. And through that setting it up as a potential disappointment in face of unrealistic expectations.

You can't blame people for their hope. Exploit them, yes, and that happens a lot in the gaming industry, but with this game I do see a developer who is listening and whilst proud of what they're doing, they're not satisfied. I like that.