Register Now
Shagger

Google and Apple removed Fortnite, is that fair?

Here's an article from PC Gamer that goes into more detail, but basically Epic reduced the cost of Fortnight's premium currency, V-Bucks, on all platforms by up to 20% if you were to use the preferred payment method direct to epic games. This has not sat well with Apple as the preferred payment method paid directly to Epic bypasses their 30% cut though buying V-Bucks on the IOS store. As a result, Fortnight has now been removed from the Apple Store.

What I find amusing about this is that Apple insist that they enforce the policies and conditions on the app-store for developers/publishers to "keep people safe" They repeat that a lot in the article. My arse. This is obviously about money. I have never and will never own a piece of i-crap in my life and this is why. Apple are scum, through and through.

I'm sure Epic knew this was a very real possibility when they made this decision, but I just get the impression they're fed up how the money from mobile payments of Fortnight was split, so just gave them the middle finger. And you know what, I like that. You could call it a bit irresponsible of Epic, yes, but I think the people will rally behind them on this turning Apple into the bad guys here. Epic aren't taking this laying down either, they're already in the process of suing. Honestly, I doubt they'll win. Whilst I think Epic have the moral high ground, I'm feel ad to admit that I do think Apple has the legal high ground. Still, best of luck to them.

What do you think, was this bold move by Epic more born out of childish spite or for the benefit of the players? Is this Apple trying to be fair and is just imply asking everyone who sells goods and/services on the store follow the same rules, or are they just greedy and didn't want to lose a cut? 

Apple is like Disney. They're not willing to let anything threaten their profits. If there's the possibility they lose money on something they're involved with, they lose their shit. Whether there's a contract in place or not is irrelevant. Disney fought for 20+ years to buy Star Wars from George Lucas. They've even tried to buy Warner Brothers Studios. These kind of companies want a monopoly even though it's illegal. Regardless of the fact that I use an iPhone, I will hate Apple until the day I die. I only use the iPhone because I find it much more user friendly. I had an android and it was impossible. It didn't offer any form of personalization. It didn't even allow me to choose a ringtone, much less download one.I hated it so much that I took it back not even 2 weeks after getting it and got myself another iPhone.

13 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Apple is like Disney. They're not willing to let anything threaten their profits. If there's the possibility they lose money on something they're involved with, they lose their shit. Whether there's a contract in place or not is irrelevant. Disney fought for 20+ years to buy Star Wars from George Lucas. They've even tried to buy Warner Brothers Studios. These kind of companies want a monopoly even though it's illegal. Regardless of the fact that I use an iPhone, I will hate Apple until the day I die. I only use the iPhone because I find it much more user friendly. I had an android and it was impossible. It didn't offer any form of personalization. It didn't even allow me to choose a ringtone, much less download one.I hated it so much that I took it back not even 2 weeks after getting it and got myself another iPhone.

Weird, I've been on android for years, several phones and never had a problem doing any of those things. I just choose a track stored on my phone and away I go.

But to the point. You absolutely right. Epic are not saints here, there's only concern here is themselves and have been kinda trying to weaponize the public against Apple (and now Google as well, being behind Android), and that's kinda shady. I suppose it will be amusing to watch these multibillion dollar cooperations bring irony to word "Cooperate" and bicker like children, so my message to them is...

503323265_giphy(3).gif.83939322a589a70762abd4dc0e1d661a.gif

Edited by Shagger

And it now appears Apple us ready to remove Epic Games completely from Apple devices. That means not only means no Fortnight, that's no gane that Epic has published/developed, no EGS, and no Unreal Engine from IPhones, iPads and Mac's. They're building a wall to block out gamers from Apple devices.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/74555/apple-threatens-to-kill-unreal-engine-on-ios-fornite-may-never-return/index.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Moderator Edit: There is already a thread open for this topic, so the two threads have been merged.

This is relatively old news by now, but I'm sure most of you heard a while back that Apple and Google decided to remove Fortnite from their own app stores because Epic Games decided to cut each of them out when they introduced their own currency. Thing is, both Apple and Google require a cut of payment of any DLC/content they release. So, Epic Games went against each of there terms and conditions and is now throwing a fit that it's 1984 because Apple is such a super power and all this nonsense. 

Here's my view. They're all greedy, spineless companies that only care about one thing, and that's money. It's not like Apple of Google really need that cut of money, but yet again, it's not like Epic Games can't pay it up. It's just the rich squabbling for more money. I don't care what happens between these companies. Personally I'm not a fan of either of them. 

What do you guys think about this situation these companies are in? 

Edited by Shagger

Well Huwei used Android and then forked it and forced their own version of the OS on the chinese phones. EPIC used android and iOS and want to own the platform of their own. So it's natural for them to diss the platforms and go with their own. There is definitely a pattern from chinese makers lately. It's just that chinese makers are getting clean cheat from the gaming community lately. Fair or not, this is a dangerous pattern going on. 

Epic Games are definitely in the wrong here. Apple's platform, their choice. Epic tried to be greedy and Apple hit right back at them. Fair play. In the wider scheme of things, it's 2 big rich companies tussling and I play on PC anyway, so I could care less! 😆

The only reason Epic violated the rules is because Apple wrote the rulebook.  A rule book that was written by THE most greedy, monopolistic and anti-consumer company on the planet.  No matter what the product or situation is they go full on "fuck over the end user" every time with their closed platform bullshit.

They charge hundreds or even thousands of dollars for repairs that can be done for pennies, just so you buy a new one and they sell your repaired product to somebody else at nearly full price.  You want a stand for your iMac that you already paid $5000 for for ANOTHER GRAND PLEASE!  You want to actually fast-charge your $1000+ fast-charging phone, $50 PLEASE!  You want a headphone jack, FUCK YOU because we say you don't and it's up to us!

I am genuinely astounded that people continue to defend this company.  This latest spat with Epic from both parties is possibly the most childish and pathetic display from both of them and the people it ultimately screws over the end user which neither company gives a flying fuck about.  So I recommend doing yourselves a favour, stop taking sides and choose neither.

Edited by Crazycrab

Of course they removed it, they had no choice. EPIC deliberately broke the terms of service. I'm baffled why some people think of epic as some mighty white crusader. They are just as greedy as the next corporation. They aren't doing this for anyone else but themselves. I hate Apple, but the crap epic has been doing in the past 18 months puts them well ahead of apple as worst corporation.  EA isn't even playing on the same pitch as these.

It's very ironic that Epic attacks Apple for making the appstore a monopoly on iphones, while they are themselves actively working to make the epic game store the same kind of monopoly on PC.

Legally epic has no legs to stand here. Their case should be thrown out, it's a farce and not genuine at all. I mean they had an ad campaign prepared well ahead of time anticipating their ban. So it's impossible to argue that they had good faith. This should be a slam dunk for apple lawyers. And believe me I'm not happy about apple taking a win. But if you beat evil by being even more evil that's not a win in my book.

On 9/6/2020 at 10:33 AM, Crazycrab said:

They charge hundreds or even thousands of dollars for repairs that can be done for pennies, just so you buy a new one and they sell your repaired product to somebody else at nearly full price.  You want a stand for your iMac that you already paid $5000 for for ANOTHER GRAND PLEASE!  You want to actually fast-charge your $1000+ fast-charging phone, $50 PLEASE!  You want a headphone jack, FUCK YOU because we say you don't and it's up to us!

If you go to any store that sells Apple products, you should check out some of the other accessories. Since they removed the headphone jack you have to have Bluetooth capable earbuds or headphones. For their cheapest earbuds it's almost $200. For an Apple licensed product. And the things are pure shit from what I've heard. I bought a pair of Raycons, and they work absolutely perfectly. They can't be beat. And they weren't even half of what Apple wants for their junk earbuds.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

If you go to any store that sells Apple products, you should check out some of the other accessories. Since they removed the headphone jack you have to have Bluetooth capable earbuds or headphones. For their cheapest earbuds it's almost $200. For an Apple licensed product. And the things are pure shit from what I've heard. I bought a pair of Raycons, and they work absolutely perfectly. They can't be beat. And they weren't even half of what Apple wants for their junk earbuds.

And add the fact that raycon sells them at about 800% of cost as well.