Register Now
Kane99

Do you still have gaming magazines?

Do you guys still own any gaming magazines? I used to get gaming mags from my local grocery store all the time. I always went for the PS magazine, because it always came with a demo. I always thought that was cool. I then subscribed to PSM for a few years, but sadly that never had demo discs. I also loved reading the EGM, Game Informer, and so much more. What about you guys? What gaming mags do you remember subbing to? Or just getting at a the store? What was your favorite gaming mag? 

A few years, I owned a collection of gaming magazines which I bought from my local supermarket too. Nowadays, for the convenience and to save a few extra pounds, I read articles and content related to gaming on the likes of IGN. I have all the information in the world from the touch of a few buttons on my lap.

I always bought Tips & Tricks every month. Not only was it a good read but it had a huge section with cheat codes for just about every cartridge game on the market. Most of which were submitted by readers. But after the N64 day’s it kinda went out. You don’t have a lot of luck putting in cheat codes with a disc apparently.

I used to read GameStar for five years, the free games on CD were quite appealing. Quit buying those as soon as I got regular internet DSL speed. I collected the magazines, never threw one away until I moved many times in my lifetime. something little died inside me that day, not sure if its because of the magazines.

3 hours ago, Empire said:

I used to read GameStar for five years, the free games on CD were quite appealing. Quit buying those as soon as I got regular internet DSL speed. I collected the magazines, never threw one away until I moved many times in my lifetime. something little died inside me that day, not sure if its because of the magazines.

I've never heard of GameStar. I mostly read Electronic Gaming Monthly, Gamepro Magazine, PSM (was subbed to this for a few years), and a few more I'm probably forgetting. I wish I took care of all the mags I had, because looking back, I think they would be worth a little bit today. But, oh well. I'll be on the lookout for old mags at thrift stores. 

I have every issue of a domestic gaming magazine called PC Guru between 1995/1 and 2002/12, that's when regular high speed (by 2002 standards) internet access had made them completely irrelevant. It also had an spinoff magazine called CD Guru which came with a CD full of shareware software and game demos, which was neat before the time of the internet. It was a by-monthly but I still couldn't afford to buy every issue only 2-4 a year tops.

They are both still in one of my closets but I haven't touched them for about 15 years since we moved to our current home.

I was never subbed to either of them, my father usually bought  PC Guru without me even asking. He'd also go through them occasionally. He was a gamer too, but only ever played FPS games. But within that specific genre he played much more games than me.

Edited by m76

9 minutes ago, m76 said:

I have every issue of a domestic gaming magazine called PC Guru between 1995/1 and 2002/12, that's when regular high speed (by 2002 standards) internet access had made them completely irrelevant. It also had an spinoff magazine called CD Guru which came with a CD full of shareware software and game demos, which was neat before the time of the internet. It was a by-monthly but I still couldn't afford to buy every issue only 2-4 a year tops.

They are both still in one of my closets but I haven't touched them for about 15 years since we moved to our current home.

I was never subbed to either of them, my father usually bought  PC Guru without me even asking. He'd also go through them occasionally. He was a gamer too, but only ever played FPS games. But within that specific genre he played much more games than me.

I had some old PC mags that I tossed years ago. Wish I kept those too, as going back through them to look at the old tech and the ads gives me that nostalgic feeling. 😄 

I had a box full of gaming magazines, but I sadly threw them all away or gave them away to someone. I regret doing it, but at the time I had no space for it. 😞 Same with the comic collection I had. I sold those off, but I didn't have any space for that either. Once of these days I'm going to designate an area for old magazines in my house.

On 2/13/2021 at 5:39 PM, Kane99 said:

I've never heard of GameStar. I mostly read Electronic Gaming Monthly, Gamepro Magazine, PSM (was subbed to this for a few years), and a few more I'm probably forgetting. I wish I took care of all the mags I had, because looking back, I think they would be worth a little bit today. But, oh well. I'll be on the lookout for old mags at thrift stores. 

Same would worth more then others but how can you tell, I mean a book that 50 years old meybe worth allot.