Register Now
The Blackangel

Am I even a valid gamer?

I've been thinking this for a while. I'm not shy about putting my 2 cents in on topics. I've done it damn near 3000 times here. But when I look around a lot, everyone is talking about games that I don't know or understand, due to me being a classic gamer. And in the PC board, people talk about specs ad parts, and I feel like a complete idiot even trying to read it. I don't understand half of what people are talking about a large amount of the time. The only game that I can relate to anyone here on is RDR2. It seems I'm the only one that plays an actual NES or SNES. The flashback shit doesn't count. Everyone is talking about their PS4's and Xbox One's. They're talking about the upcoming PS5 and Xbox Series X. I don't understand half of that. People are dropping the current/previous entry in a series for the new one, even though they raved about it for years.

Sometimes I feel like I'm in the wrong place. I'm playing 1985-1998 while everyone else here is playing 2020 onward. There are gamers here who have never even seen or touched a NES, SNES, and N64. Yet here I am playing them daily.

Maybe I'm just beginning to have a mid life crisis. I did look at a corvette, so....

I really wouldn't worry about that. You fit in here, and it's not like you fit and contribute despite being a retro gamer, I'd say you fit in and contribute because you're a retro gamer. Yes, this isn't specifically a retro gaming forum and the majority of people here talk mostly about current games, but that doesn't mean you should doubt that you belong here. I think I speak for everyone when I say your valued here, more than you know.

Everyone is a gamer. Doesn't matter what they're playing. You're not the only one who plays retro gamer.

For example, I'm not a pro at FPS games. I only play Indie and Racing games. My friends says that I suck a lot, but I don't care.

Edited by AndreiMirfi

Valid Gamer, Legit Gamer, Real Gamer, Proper gamer... I've heard them all before and they are just terms made up by elitist fuckheads (mostly PC fanboys) trying to put other people down because they feel insecure or unsatisfied with their own existence.  So they project that insecurity by taking a stab at the one thing they think they have over other people and that's that they are better "gamers" than them while failing to understand that nobody cares except themselves.

23 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I've been thinking this for a while. I'm not shy about putting my 2 cents in on topics. I've done it damn near 3000 times here. But when I look around a lot, everyone is talking about games that I don't know or understand, due to me being a classic gamer. And in the PC board, people talk about specs ad parts, and I feel like a complete idiot even trying to read it. I don't understand half of what people are talking about a large amount of the time. The only game that I can relate to anyone here on is RDR2. It seems I'm the only one that plays an actual NES or SNES. The flashback shit doesn't count. Everyone is talking about their PS4's and Xbox One's. They're talking about the upcoming PS5 and Xbox Series X. I don't understand half of that. People are dropping the current/previous entry in a series for the new one, even though they raved about it for years.

Sometimes I feel like I'm in the wrong place. I'm playing 1985-1998 while everyone else here is playing 2020 onward. There are gamers here who have never even seen or touched a NES, SNES, and N64. Yet here I am playing them daily.

Maybe I'm just beginning to have a mid life crisis. I did look at a corvette, so....

I'm a tech guy and I know I've talk about these kind of thing and it's cerinly not my intenion to make you feel insecure.  You might not be up to date but that doesn't make you an idiot.

As for your mid life crisis Corvette, don't deny it, BUY IT! 🤑

1-corvette-stingray-c8-2019-fd-hr-hero-f

I know it’s not your intention to make me feel stupid. I doubt anyone talks about specs in the hopes that someone specific here feels like an idiot. Like I’ve said before, the last time I knew anything about computer specs was the Win98 era. I try to follow what you guys are saying, but there’s so many letters, numbers, and words I don’t want to even try to pronounce being thrown around in those discussions, that I feel like I should stick my toe back in my mouth and wait for a diaper change.

Yes, I never sucked my thumb when I was little. It was always my big toe. I was weird then, and I’m even weirder now.

On 8/29/2020 at 10:07 AM, The Blackangel said:

t seems I'm the only one that plays an actual NES or SNES.

Actually, if anything, your amazing depth of knowledge of classic games makes me question my validity =D

If you love games, you're a gamer. Doesn't matter if they're new, old, if your knowledge is sweeping and broad or super narrow and deep. Just matters what you're passionate about.

You could have nostalgia. Just recently I was playing Nintendo games and I loved reliving those memories. I played Gi Joes as a kid and a few years back started collecting them. If it's not nostalgia, then maybe you like the simplicity of older games. Not the simplicity of the game itself, cause many older games are very challenging, but the controls, remembering the fighting moves, not having to worry about how much weight in gear you are carrying, fixing your weapon, always having to choose a skill upgrade etc.I get intimidated by most new games. Getting used to it now, but I get overwhelmed easily when I start a game on the ps4. The whole first chapter is usually learning all the moves and button actions. Pisses me off. I go to sit down to play a different game and think, was it this game I hit the r3 to crouch or was it that other game. Shit, just threw a grenade! 

I'm always baffled by the cult of Nintendo. It's completely outside my frame of reference.  I've never even seen a nintendo gaming system let alone own one. Gaming consoles were not a thing here before the early nineties, and even then unattainable. The first generation of consoles that actually had significant following here were the PS2/Dreamcast/N64.

So I kind of feel the same way, when people talk about the NES, Genesis, and a number of other older systems. For us the best gaming system we could get is the Commodore 64 through grey market import from Austria. So to me Mario, Sonic, Zelda, all of these names are completely meaningless.

So does that mean I'm not a real gamer either?

You don't have to play a massive multitude of games to be considered a gamer and it also doesn't have to modern games either. You like what you like so feel free to share with the rest of us. I and others who are older grew up on some of those same games so I don't mind talking about them and I do have some emulators on my laptop so it enables to play then when I'm in the mood.

To me it feels strange if my sis calls me a gamer, cause I'm not sure exactly what that is supposed to mean. If someone watches tv do we call them a tv watcher? Or an internet surfer? A twitterer? A music listener? It almost seems like a 'gamer' is derogatory. Oh, he's a 'gamer' 😲 No way man; it can't be! 

I don't mind at all playing older games or talking about them. Every time I think about it I want to play them. But then I have to hook it up, and ...blah blah. I'm lazy. I don't even like putting a new disc in the ps4. It should be multi disc. They have that for cd players, but not games? Man, I'm way off topic. Diversity is what makes the world go round. Once that stops, all you got is one mind left and nothing left of value to learn. 

4 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

To me it feels strange if my sis calls me a gamer, cause I'm not sure exactly what that is supposed to mean. If someone watches tv do we call them a tv watcher? Or an internet surfer? A twitterer? A music listener? It almost seems like a 'gamer' is derogatory. Oh, he's a 'gamer' 😲 No way man; it can't be! 

I don't mind at all playing older games or talking about them. Every time I think about it I want to play them. But then I have to hook it up, and ...blah blah. I'm lazy. I don't even like putting a new disc in the ps4. It should be multi disc. They have that for cd players, but not games? Man, I'm way off topic. Diversity is what makes the world go round. Once that stops, all you got is one mind left and nothing left of value to learn. 

I'm sorry but the Twitterer one got me! Gamers isn't a derogatory term in the least, it's just a name for people who have an active interest in gaming although I get where you're coming from in terms of the labels. It's the media that tries to make the gamer name derogatory.