Register Now
StaceyPowers

Anyone else find the PS5 direct pre-order invites a bit unsettling?

Sony is allowing users to sign up to receive a potential invite for PS5 direct pre-orders based on their past activities. Obviously I get that this is sensible for the company from a sales standpoint, but it is a bit unsettling to me to realize that Sony’s intimate knowledge of our gaming habits will determine whether or not we get a chance to pre-order early. Anyone else find the process a bit disturbing?

I don't personally find it disturbing, but I still don't think it's right. I can understand the limited supply capabilities but to choose who buys your product based on "previous interests and activities" isn't fair for your new customers. Dedicated players will wait and buy the console anyway. They are also limiting orders to these invitations to only be shipped in the US - another punch.

Honestly @StaceyPowers, I think you're reading too much into it. Google, for example, knows everything about you, including what pet you feel OK to masturbate in front of, and the only reason you aren't disbursed by that is because you don't know that they know. I'm not trying to imply anything at all nor offend in any way, It's just metaphor for how disconnected that these things actually are from you. In the end, all they do with that information is send adds for a "Miss Kitty" branded hairbrush because you googled "Miss Kitty" that one time. You shouldn't be threatened by something so intuitive, yet so stupid at the same time.

If people get a guarantee on a PS5 that they were going to buy anyway, then good for them.

Edited by Shagger

6 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Honestly @StaceyPowers, I think you're reading too much into it. Google, for example, knows everything about you, including what pet you feel OK to masturbate in front of, and the only reason you aren't disbursed by that is because you don't know that they know. In the end, all they do with that information is send adds for a "Miss Kitty" branded hairbrush because you googled "Miss Kitty" that one time. You shouldn't be threatened by something so intuitive, yet so stupid at the same time.

If people get a guarantee on a PS5 that they were going to buy anyway, then good for them.

I suppose it is just the notion that so-and-so strived hard enough to get all the trophies in Game X will allow them to pre-order but not me that peeves me =D Likewise, btw, I don't find re-targeting ads online nearly as eerie as a lot of folks do. That being said, Google is a pretty nefarious company, but I have other issues with them.

I thought Sony was just doing a simple "sign up to be notified kind of thing."  Or a sign up to be one of the first to get a pre-order. I don't recall seeing anything about them using your PlayStation history to pick people. But I could be wrong. Do you have a source for this information? 

12 minutes ago, Heatman said:

As far as I'm concerned right now, anything that they are doing isn't any of my business as I'm not yet ready to get Playstation 5, so I'm not bothered yet. 

This topic concerns PS5 pre-orders, the console has now been out for ten months and the last post was over a year ago.  So this is clearly a dead horse that has no relevancy anymore.

Edited by Crazycrab

10 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

Now play station 5 is fully launched and many stores online and offline is selling it. It can also be gotten in an auction price in some stores that promotes auction. 

Yeah - I actually know at least 5 people who already purchased their Playstation 5 and it's not from pre-order. 

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

As a general rule of thumb, I'm not pre-ordering anything and I'll wait until the product is launched and reviews are out before I make a decision to buy or not.

Same here for me, I don't find it ideal to be pre-ordering when I know it will be launched and online stores and offline stores will list the video up for sale. 

On 9/30/2021 at 1:57 AM, killamch89 said:

As a general rule of thumb, I'm not pre-ordering anything and I'll wait until the product is launched and reviews are out before I make a decision to buy or not.

Seriously - It's actually the best way to go about it especially when it's game companies that are know for their trash work.