Register Now
Kane99

What console do you see winning the next console gen?

The new generation of gaming is fast approaching. Both the PS5 and Xbox Series X are expected to drop sometime this holiday season, likely in November. Nintendo is rumored to also be jump into the ring with a possible updated 4K Switch. 

If each of these consoles come out soon, who do you forsee taking the lead? I can see Sony winning in the start, but once Nintendo jumps in, I think they will end up taking the lead. Don't they currently have the lead with the current switch? Or is it the PS4? 

Either way, what console do you think takes the lead? What console takes the whole generation though near the end? 

If Nintendo does go with an updated Switch, then I see the PS5 being the front runner, with Xbox in third place. Xbox does have its die hard fans, but they're dragging. They have been since the 360. Sure the Xbox One is a great system, but it's more of a 360 without the RRoD. If any system was going to die anytime soon I would put my money on it being Xbox. And with the design of th Series X, it seems they're intentionally trying to do so. Microsoft is committing suicide in the gaming market.

12 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Soon it's the virtual reality systems that's gonna take off. Too expensive right now at $1500 for the best VR system. A bit too interactive for most I guess right now. So I say the best system will go to affordability. If the ps5 starts at 500-600, then I'll check it out 3 years from now. 

Same here. Bugs will have been addressed, more games will be available, and the price will have gone way down from the launch price. Even more so for a used system.

Edited by The Blackangel

Sony definitly seems to have the advatage at the start, but to be honest I don't either system has a strong enough exclusive launch line up.  If you discont 3rd party and cross-gen titles there's only 2 or 3 on the PS5 and I don't think the XBox Series X has any!

For VR to truly take over, I think it would have to be priced more towards what consoles are going for these days. Isn't PS VR like $400 separate? If they can figure out a way to make a console and a VR headset and charge $400, then we're talking! 🙂 

11 hours ago, m76 said:

I think Sony will win this round too, despite being the weaker hardware on paper, and I suspect being more expensive. But consoles are not PCs, you can't sell them on hardware specs, you sell them on titles.

I think so too. I can see Sony taking the lead early on. But I think the Xbox has a chance to do better this gen then the last gen at the very least. 

I think it's Microsoft's fault for the Xbox One not doing so good compared to the PS4. The big reason I think, is because of the Xbox One announcement, where they announced it would always be online and would have DRM. That was a major blow for MS, and I don't think they've fully recovered yet. 

I think this coming gen, it'll be a bit more closer. But MS needs to put out a lot more exclusives to really have a chance. 

Edited by Kane99

I actually do think the XBSX is the superior console, and even has the superior services, Game Pass in particular, but what really matters is exclusive games, and the PS5 certainly has the XBSX beat. Most of XBox exclusives will be on PC, so there's little point for anyone with a decent PC to buy the XBox, and first few months to a year looks far stronger for PS5 in terms of exclusive games anyway.

On 9/9/2020 at 7:28 AM, Kane99 said:

I think so too. I can see Sony taking the lead early on. But I think the Xbox has a chance to do better this gen then the last gen at the very least. 

I think it's Microsoft's fault for the Xbox One not doing so good compared to the PS4. The big reason I think, is because of the Xbox One announcement, where they announced it would always be online and would have DRM. That was a major blow for MS, and I don't think they've fully recovered yet. 

I think this coming gen, it'll be a bit more closer. But MS needs to put out a lot more exclusives to really have a chance. 

The mistake they made was assuming people would be happy to accept all those changes in one single moment as opposed to being phased in. Don't get me wrong, the original XB1 concept is just as unappealing now as there were then, but much of those restrictions already exist on PC and have done for years even before then, so Microsoft wrongly assumed consoe gamers would just accept them. XBox pushed the idea to hard and to sudden, and I'm glad because they did because now they know console gamers just aren't willing to accept that bullshit. If that hadn't happened, though, we may have been in a situation where those restrictions would be a part of everyday life on next gen, and thankfully they're not.

So, I have to say, thank you, Xbox. The world is better for your cock up.

Edited by Shagger

On 9/12/2020 at 7:22 AM, skyfire said:

Sony has lead into the console space for like since PS 3 onwards. I think xbox is going to struggle for some time now. 

I feel like it will come down to the price of the PS5. But if Rumors about the 4k switch are true who knows.

From what i see, XBOX is doing really well for a next gen console that got released for 300$, it's also backward compatible with every previous gen console if you are willing to pay 19$ a month (not official from Microsoft, it's a fanmade emulator)

On 9/6/2020 at 4:56 PM, Kane99 said:

The new generation of gaming is fast approaching. Both the PS5 and Xbox Series X are expected to drop sometime this holiday season, likely in November. Nintendo is rumored to also be jump into the ring with a possible updated 4K Switch. 

If each of these consoles come out soon, who do you forsee taking the lead? I can see Sony winning in the start, but once Nintendo jumps in, I think they will end up taking the lead. Don't they currently have the lead with the current switch? Or is it the PS4? 

Either way, what console do you think takes the lead? What console takes the whole generation though near the end? 

Even as a fan of Playstation, I think that Xbox is going to be in front foot here. I'm yet to get PS5 and I'm getting thorn between getting it or going for Xbox.