Register Now
m76

What's the difference between general gaming, and video games?

I don't understand how these two sections of the forum are different. They are both about games in general. So how do you decide which one a specific thread belongs to?

I'd assume general gaming could include gaming outside of video games, but the threads there are also exclusively about video games.

21 minutes ago, m76 said:

I'd assume general gaming could include gaming outside of video games, but the threads there are also exclusively about video games.

I thnk you kind of summed it up.  General gaming could apply to not just video games but also pinball, card games like Magic the Gathering or Whatever.  But it does have to be said that there is so little topics on thease kind of things that it should be asked, "Are both these threads needed"?

Edited by Crazycrab

For me the difference is as follows. The "Video Games" section is there to hold topics relating to a video game(s) specially, so that would include stuff like reviews, discussions of tactics, hints and tips, SSP of ones own game projects, ect. "General Gaming" is there to hold a more broad spectrum of topics related to gaming, but necessarily specific to any game or games, so discussions on business practices in the industry, platforms, gaming history, peripherals and hardware, gaming related video content, gaming music, art and so on. I hope that helps.

Edited by Shagger

11 minutes ago, Shagger said:

For me the difference is as follows. The "Video Games" section is there to hold topics relating to video game specially, so that would include stuff like reviews, discussions of tactics, hints and tips, SSP of ones own game projects, ect. "General Gaming" is there to hold a more broad spectrum of topics related to gaming, but necessarily not specific to any game or games, so discussions on business practices in the industry, platforms, gaming history, peripherals and hardware, gaming related video content, gaming music, art and so on. I hope that helps.

That makes sense, but I didn't notice that being enforced much. I've seen topics not related to a specific game in the video games section as well. That's why I asked.

3 hours ago, Shagger said:

For me the difference is as follows. The "Video Games" section is there to hold topics relating to video game specially, so that would include stuff like reviews, discussions of tactics, hints and tips, SSP of ones own game projects, ect. "General Gaming" is there to hold a more broad spectrum of topics related to gaming, but necessarily not specific to any game or games, so discussions on business practices in the industry, platforms, gaming history, peripherals and hardware, gaming related video content, gaming music, art and so on. I hope that helps.

Exactly.

2 hours ago, m76 said:

That makes sense, but I didn't notice that being enforced much. I've seen topics not related to a specific game in the video games section as well. That's why I asked.

Yes, we need to do a better job enforcing this by moving topics posted to the incorrect forum. I will start cleaning up tonight.