Register Now
Kane99

Do you think streaming is the future of gaming?

Right now, streaming games doesn't work all that great, and it may not be great for a long time. Streaming games is extremely tough and takes a lot of bandwidth. It's not like movies, music and tv, it's much more intensive. We already see the likes of Google Stadia, Xbox X Cloud and I believe Nvidia and a few others are trying to jump into the ring. But, they all fail at the thing they're intended to do, and that's play games. Sure you can play them, but you're bound to face a ton of lag, input lag, and game outages. There is no way most ISPs can handle game streaming. I have charter and I bet they would start to throw a fit if I streamed games a lot. 

Anyway, I see streaming as a future possibility, but it won't work until we take down the amount of lag and latency issues, and we should be good. It'll take time, but so did the internet, and it's still growing. 

Hell no.

Input lag will always be there. You can't beat the laws of physics. You'd need faster than light communications.

Player input sent to server ~10-15ms ----->   server processes it generates result but there are already buffered frames through transit ~ another 10-15ms --------> actual footage arirves that is affected by the lsat player input. You end up with 40-50ms input lag in a best case scenario. If you have any fluctuation in internet stability you get frameskips, as there is no room for buffering in game streaming. And mind you from what I saw in early stadia tests the actual input lag is not even 50ms but closer to 100-200ms.

15 hours ago, m76 said:

Hell no.

Input lag will always be there. You can't beat the laws of physics. You'd need faster than light communications.

Player input sent to server ~10-15ms ----->   server processes it generates result but there are already buffered frames through transit ~ another 10-15ms --------> actual footage arirves that is affected by the lsat player input. You end up with 40-50ms input lag in a best case scenario. If you have any fluctuation in internet stability you get frameskips, as there is no room for buffering in game streaming. And mind you from what I saw in early stadia tests the actual input lag is not even 50ms but closer to 100-200ms.

Exactly. There's no way we're ever going to get to a point where we can play lag free. Hell standard games today still lag like crazy when gaming online. I get around 125 Mbps internet right now, but I imagine we'd need hundreds more just to run somewhat smooth, and even then it's not going to stop the input lag and game lag. 

Streaming games will never happen. Online gaming is a lot cheaper than streaming would be, both for the gamer, and the ISP. Then throw in the technical issues already mentioned, and everyone involved would be pissed. People would ditch it quick. There's no logic behind streaming something like a game.

On 9/7/2020 at 8:53 PM, Kane99 said:

Right now, streaming games doesn't work all that great, and it may not be great for a long time. Streaming games is extremely tough and takes a lot of bandwidth.

Pretty much answered your own question. The technology is too young as it stands. The software and hardware development, and most of all the infrastructure, just isn't there yet.

It's available right now for that that want to go ahead and do it. Nvidia point of viewer itis though there platform. But is it a long road future? We as a person have no idea what the future will be like, No idea what technology will give us. Do I like the idea yes, Do I want to do it, No 😛 

I do not even have the Internet that's super fast, I have good connection but not 500 upload and 500 download. As I said that we don't know what the internet of the future will look like, but I guess at some point it will be good enough to stream games. Problem is, you be even less of an owner of your games than you are now.

I think the tech is cool, and I utilise it in my house already with an always on desktop streaming to a rPi with steamlink under our TV. As long as you have a wired network at home the experience is great.

Streaming will end up being like what happened to music where everyone at one point found a place to download what you want for free. Musicians at least have concerts to make money, but imagine the toll that would take on the gaming industry if a bunch of sites provided it for free illegally. Remember those crazy lawsuits of music streamers having to owe thousands of dollars for illegally streaming music? Maybe the gaming industry will have tighter control over it due to the number of consoles you own and it being registered. Maybe that's where the music industry got burned, because it's not like stereos we're registered to music sites.

Perhaps. Usually when people say [x] is the future, like they did with Google Stadia, it's typically wrong because there's something else creeping up behind it and ultimately surpasses it. Consumer tech in recent years is an increasingly self-fulfilling prophecy not unlike Aesop's fable of the tortoise and the hare. Downloading music became streaming; online magazines vie against YouTube; television is competing with Netflix; and Virtual Reality is having to do more to appeal to those waiting on the increasing developments of Augmented Reality.

There's also ideological problems when it comes to streaming. It seems all of the companies investing in this believe the following: streaming video games is a good idea -> we know streaming video games is a good idea because we don't have bad ideas -> Internet Service Providers (ISPs) will accomodate us because streaming video games is a good idea. Neither Nvidia, Microsoft nor Google - Google! - have any bargaining power over any of these ISPs from TalkTalk to BT. Angus Young said it better than I ever could.

So while streaming might be the future, it won't be until companies who have no reason to budge do so, until the research and development is researched and developed, the costs stop being costly, and someone brings something besides the fact you can play games you've already bought for less that run better elsewhere.

I think that streaming has a benefit to those who want to see the gameplay, what the game actually looks like, and possibly use as a test/demo if you will. I don’t think it’s the future of gaming, although what they did with the Pokémon game controlled by Twitch chatters was pretty awesome.

Streaming games will never truly be an industry trend and the reason is the input lag of streaming cannot be overcome except by getting faster internet. Even then, it'll only reduce the input lag by a bit but will cost you a lot more just to get a decent experience. 

25 minutes ago, Demon_skeith said:

God I hope not, its a nice alt but it should not be how we get our games. Hate how everything is digital these days. 

Seriously, it's going to pose a very big challenge to a lot of people who can't actually take part in gaming like that.