Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

What about books/comics topics

I don't see any topics in books or comics. My favorite series of books are the Drizzt Do'Urden by Salvatore. He has been writing this series for 30 years now. I found out about it a couple years ago and bought every book; around 40 books! Still about 10 books behind the latest one, but catching up. Highly recommended. I'm looking for more good reads in the Forgotten Realms setting, fantasy, or apocalypse. Arisen by Michael Stephen Fuchs is awesome! It's military/apocalypse/zombie

Grimm Fairy Tales by Zenescope is a pretty good comic series. It's a horror take on all the classic fairy tales including Wonderland, Oz, Netherland, and everything in between.

Do you recommend some good reading???

As far as modern fantasy books go, my absolute favorite is Knight's Wyrd. It's an awesome book. Another good one is Wolfskin.
A writer you might be interested in checking out is Dennis Young. I have several of his books. I'm not the biggest fan of his writing style, but he's still really good.

If I ever decide to try to get published, I'll tell you when my books are going to hit the shelves. I have 2 finished at the moment, and more on the way.

As for classics, absolutely nothing can beat Edgar Allen Poe. His insight to the human mind and heart have never been rivaled, before or since. I have 2 bearded dragons, one male one female. I named them Edgar and Lenore.

A second place would be William Shakespeare. His sonnets are great aside from his plays. I like sonnet 141 the best. My favorite of his plays out of the ones that I have read is MacBeth. That one was amazing.

The Illiad and Odyssey by Homer are also amazing. I read them repeatedly before I lost my book that had them both in it.

I like the classics. I'm not big on much modern writing.

I’m not willing to read anything written by that bigoted piece of shit.

But as for my writing, I haven’t thought about a series per se. Like I said, I’ve finished 2 full length novels, a few short stories, and a hell of a lot of unconventional poetry. One of my novels is getting a major revamp of a chunk of the story. I didn’t like it when I wrote it, and for the life of me I can’t figure out why the hell I kept it in the story.

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Look at how he talked about the Native Americans. Myself being part Cherokee, I won’t tolerate that shit.

Ok I'm seeing the quotes now, thanks.  It's a little strange since he seemed to quite liberal and progressive, except for this one thing.

On 9/11/2020 at 3:39 AM, Crazycrab said:

Am I missing somthing... how was he a bigot?

By modern standards everyone who lived in the past was a "bigot"  I think it's not a good idea to judge people of the past by what's considered the norm today.

Especially because those who want to forget the past are doomed to repeat past mistakes.

Another common mistake some make is attributing the words and views of fictional characters in a book to the writer of the book.

I have to confess, I'm not much of a bookworm. I'll read stories on Wattpad and stuff wile on break at work and stuff, and that suits me. It's just more convenient that an actual book. Still, a couple of favourites of mine would "Goodnight Mr Tom" by Michelle Magorian and Bill Bryson's "A Walk In the Woods".

54 minutes ago, m76 said:

By modern standards everyone who lived in the past was a "bigot"  I think it's not a good idea to judge people of the past by what's considered the norm today.

Especially because those who want to forget the past are doomed to repeat past mistakes.

Another common mistake some make is attributing the words and views of fictional characters in a book to the writer of the book.

True. There was a time when it was morally right to segregate and owning slaves made you the apex of society. It seems pretty pointless to just people from way back when for how the society they lived in shaped them, what we need to do is, like you, learn from the mistakes of the past.

And yes, people shouldn't take the words of a fictional character to seriously, whether it be a book, movie, TV show or even a video game. Still, if the author or creator was clearly a rancid human being, I would be very reluctant to buy/read/play/watch anything associated with them. For example, I'll never have anything written by J.K Rowling in my house because she's a despicable TERF.

But I think the topic has been derailed enough, so I'll put my moderator hat back on and address the original point.

People are obviously free to discuss literature in the General Chat, but I don't think the subject comes up often enough to warrant its own sub-forum. However, if people do want to see such a thing, feel free to suggest it in the Questions and Suggestions section, and if it gets enough support, It'll certainly be considered by myself and @DC. Don't be shy to present ideas, this is our community and it's up to all of us to contribute and make it better however we can. The only stupid ideas are the ones never suggested.

In the meantime, I'll move this topic out of movies and TV and into the main General chat, looking at it now that's really where it should be.

Edited by Shagger

4 hours ago, m76 said:

I'm not talking about what Huckleberry Fin, or Tom Sawyer said. I'm talking about Samuel Clemens, AKA Mark Twain. A real flesh and blood creature. And its real enraging ideals.

To be honest. I've always been into Marvel/DC comics as well as The Phantom. In terms of books, I used to have lots of Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books because I loved to watch how they unraveled every mystery and also to see how much they had grown by the end of the books.

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

To be honest. I've always been into Marvel/DC comics as well as The Phantom. In terms of books, I used to have lots of Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books because I loved to watch how they unraveled every mystery and also to see how much they had grown by the end of the books.

I read a lot of Hardy Boys growing up too. I don't even know how many of those books I read. 

One of my favorite books was Treasure Island. I read it a couple times. I don't have a ton of comics, but sure do love to read them online. I mostly own GI Joe comics. I'm a huge fan and collector. And I've been reading a new book series Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's a pretty good read. 

11 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I read a lot of Hardy Boys growing up too. I don't even know how many of those books I read. 

One of my favorite books was Treasure Island. I read it a couple times. I don't have a ton of comics, but sure do love to read them online. I mostly own GI Joe comics. I'm a huge fan and collector. And I've been reading a new book series Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's a pretty good read. 

I used to read GI Joe Comics back in the day as well and I'm currently reading a book called  Battlefield of the Mind. I tend to read a lot more self-improvement books nowadays but I don't mind checking out some fictional titles as well so I'll check out Malazan.

I love comics. Comics are a medium, not a genre. People's prejudices against comics have largely to do with, as you are saying, their focus on certain categories of content. But comics can be anything, and there is a lot of tremendous work in comics.

I have Beano collection 🙂 Yeah I do and at times I might read them to get my memory back