Register Now
Crazycrab

Do you want a PlayStation 5 made out of 24 Karat Gold?

Let me answer your very first question:

YES THIS IS REAL!!!!!

ps5-gold.jpg?width=1368&height=912&fit=b

https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/gaming/playstation-5-preorder-ps5-console-gold-a4543701.html

Sony have partnered with Truly Exquisite, a customization company that specializes in making highly decadent consumer goods like phones, tablets, shoes amoung other things. You can legitimately pre-order one from tomorrow from around £8000 and there are even matching accessories!  What are your thoughts?  Is this cool, bloody ridiculous or both?

P.S  @DC , you should totally get one of these for one your giveaways!!!

Edited by Crazycrab

18 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Let me answer your very first question:

YES THIS IS REAL!!!!!

ps5-gold.jpg?width=1368&height=912&fit=b

https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/gaming/playstation-5-preorder-ps5-console-gold-a4543701.html

Sony have partnered with Truly Exquisite, a customization company that specializes in making highly decadent consumer goods like phones, tablets, shoes amoung other things. You can legitimately pre-order one from tomorrow from around £8000 and there are even matching accessories!  What are your thoughts?  Is this cool, bloody ridiculous or both?

P.S  @DC , you should totally get one of these for one your giveaways!!!

Well, @DC, I guess I'll start the bidding at 1 billion points. I know I don't have that many points, but I promise I'll spend the next couple of decades working it off on here.

To the topic at had, I actually like it when companies do this sort of thing. Obviously, this is a luxury beyond the reach of most people and it's a complexly vain, self-centred indulgence for those that can, but anyone can admire this sort of thing the same way we admire supercars. Yes, the vast majority will never be able to afford one, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy them. It's not practical, it's not necessary, but we create them anyway because it's cool and a statement of human spirit, doing it because we can.

Still, there are people berate companies who create these rare, luxurious collectibles (I'm just ready to see an XBox fanboys do so with regard to this, for example). I remember a couple of years ago Ubisoft partnered with electronics manufacturer Focal and the very exclusive and prestigious Parisian jeweller Tournaire to come up with this;

ubigoldhead.thumb.jpg.3e4b5cdfbd3d06d2817d5ff18352ed98.jpg

Hand crafted, 18-karat gold headphones with a designed themed around Assassin's Creed Origins. Only 10 were ever made with watering price tag of 50,000 euro (around $60,000) and could only be so much as viewed but booking an appointment directly with Tournaire's boutique in Paris. I was on a Discord channel when some crusader was trying to call-out Ubisoft on their greed in reference to this, but he got upset when nobody was buying what he was saying. Most of us saw this for what it was, a luxury indulgence for the very rich, not an attempt by Ubisoft to be anti-consumer. If anyone with any sense wanted to call  Ubisoft out, they would lead with the microtransactions, not an ultra rare, ultra expensive collectible that would make Ubisoft a few tens-of-thousands of dollars at most. He kept referencing to some rant fuelled, obscure article that pointed out "You could have a Porche for that price". True, you could, a Porsche Boxter, the bottom rung Porsche sports car, and the basic Boxter at that. I remember saying that would rather have the headphones because that's at least a statement of wealth, driving a Boxter tells the world you wanted a 911, but life hadn't worked out the way you hoped, and you couldn't afford one.

Even The Last of Us Part II couldn't escape a scathing from idiot haters over this limited edition Talor Guitar with the same design as the Ellie's Guitar in the game, a price that was just $300 more than the $2000 guitar it was based on. Any excuse and people will use it.

379285542_elliestaylor.thumb.jpg.b6fb6862f6830675100ae71c2bfc6678.jpg

The point I'm trying to make it is, wether one is able to afford them or not, people should just be allowed to enjoy these things, whatever that means.

Edited by Shagger

For monumental things, like the gold spike at Promontory Point, I think it's perfectly fine to do something like this. But unless Sony planned the PS5 to be their last ever system, I think it's completely ridiculous to do something like this. Sure, everyone would like to have a gold system. It's human nature to want the most valuable items. But what purpose does it actually serve? All I see it doing is being a status symbol for someone to say "I have more money than you so I'm better than you." It's like this Hermès bag.

Hermes.jpg.dbc81998a569e2a7fe3a68df049208dd.jpg

I guarantee I can get some just as good at Walmart for $20. Why the hell would I spend $107,800 for a fucking purse? Status symbol. But a bag like that is just ASKING to be robbed.

And would anyone even hook up a gold PlayStation? It seems to me that no one would. It would just sit in that wooden box, and collect dust. But maybe there are collectors of oddball gold items, so I could be talking nonsense. But these are just my views on a gold console.

Edited by The Blackangel

5 hours ago, Shagger said:

Well, @DC, I guess I'll start the bidding at 1 billion points. I know I don't have that many points, but I promise I'll spend the next couple of decades working it off on here.

@DC I bid 1,000,000,001 points.

Give me 40 or 50 years of posting nonstop for 12 hours a day at minimum, and I'll have the points ready for you.

Since topics garner more points than replies I may be doing shit like this for the most part:

Topic 1
abc

Topic 2
abc

Topic 3
abc

Topic 4
abc

Topic 5
abc

Topic 6
abc

Edited by The Blackangel

5 hours ago, Shagger said:

The point I'm trying to make it is, wether one is able to afford them or not, people should just be allowed to enjoy these things, whatever that means.

I don't think people should enjoy gold plated ps5s. Unless the proceeds go to a charity. It's unnecessary and excessive and just a spit in the face of everyone who lives on $10 or less a day.

1 hour ago, m76 said:

I don't think people should enjoy gold plated ps5s. Unless the proceeds go to a charity. It's unnecessary and excessive and just a spit in the face of everyone who lives on $10 or less a day.

Don't wast time trying to be that noble about it. People have making the same complaint about opulence for decades, if not centuries, but I'm sure if some says it once more, the wealthy and upper class will give up every excessive luxury and give away their wealth. I admire your ideals, but it's just not the way the world works.

On 10/1/2020 at 2:25 PM, ARx182 said:

That looks AMAZING! But unfortunately, there is no way I can afford that. If it was for the same price as the regular PS5, then sure but I can barely save enough for the regular PS5 never mind £8000+.

Seriously, it's way too off the chart 📊 for me to even think about it. In fact, I'm going to pretend not reading about this to being with before I get high blood pressure 😂

Until I start shitting quarters and wiping my ass with $100 bills, something like this isn't in any way an option. Hell, it's not even an actual desire for me. I can spend that money on a lot better stuff that I would actually enjoy. But, if I was going to buy something that was made of gold, and completely pointless serving no special use, I would buy the gold Zippo to add to my collection. But I already took out 2 loans to buy my car, so I have to pay them off before I could consider ever blowing money like that.

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Until I start shitting quarters and wiping my ass with $100 bills, something like this isn't in any way an option. Hell, it's not even an actual desire for me. I can spend that money on a lot better stuff that I would actually enjoy. But, if I was going to buy something that was made of gold, and completely pointless serving no special use, I would buy the gold Zippo to add to my collection. But I already took out 2 loans to buy my car, so I have to pay them off before I could consider ever blowing money like that.

Personally, I'd start making arrangements to steal people's Playstation 5 because of the worth it offers in the open market.