Register Now
Kane99

GameStop To Close At Least 400 Stores By The End Of The Year

Probably old news at this point, but I'm always happy to hear Gamestop struggling. According to many news outlets, Gamestop is going to be closing 400 stores. I don't know if you guys like gamestop or not, but I personally never cared for them. They treat their employees like crap it seems, and they have really crap customer service. 

Source: https://www.ibtimes.com/gamestop-close-least-400-stores-end-year-3043492

2 hours ago, m76 said:

I don't have a stake in this at all. But physical stores have been struggling for years here as well. Digital is just more convenient.

It's the inevitable future of gaming. As well, studios can have as many copies of a game as they want with digital. The good thing is, that there are still a fair amount of home grown game stores still around, many of them selling retro, which still has a place. Eventually consoles will go full on digital, or they will find another form of media that is smaller and cheaper to produce. I think some may go the route of carts like the Switch. 

This was meant to happen at some point. They literally put their employees health into the danger.

The way america has handled the corona crisis is so worst that some random country in africa has done it better. 

Gamestop which was like evil employer during the crisis times deserves total bankruptacy. This is not how the gamers and even workers should be treated. Lockdowns were there for a reason, if not your president you can take voluntary closure and moved to online sales instead during the times like these. Now they deserve that closure. 

I always liked GameStop personally. I've never had bad customer service, but from what I've heard, I do have to say that the employees are treated like shit.

As for digital/physical, I see everything going DDL. It's cheaper and you still get the same game. There are already games that are DDL exclusively. You can buy it anywhere that sells games, but there's just a slip of paper in the case with a download code in it. But I also think Nintendo is going to hang onto cartridges for a while, simply for us classic gamers that grew up on Nintendo. To give us a little bit of nostalgia, if you will.

It's never a good thing to know people are about to lose their jobs. I know what it's like to not know how I'm going to be able to feed myself or pay my bills, and it's a horrible feeling. So that's why I'm very much in disagreement with @Kane99's attitude here. This is never something to celebrate no matter how you feel about the cooperation in question. There's nothing to celebrate with this.

I do agree that there is a certain inevitably about this given the way the games industry is going, I still feel sorry for the people who will lose their jobs over this.

Edited by Shagger