Register Now
Kane99

Do you have any rare games in your collection?

Do you guys have any rare games in your gaming collection? Maybe they're so rare they're worth a ton of money. Do you have any old games still in box, essentially brand new? I don't own anything rare or worth a lot of money sadly. But that's ok, I have a small collection that I'm still happy about. 

The thing about rare, collectable video games is they're rare because they didn't sell very well, and there's usually a very good reason why nobody bought them. Because they're terrible. There're exceptions, obviously, like the aforementioned Ducktales 2 on the NES @The Blackangel brought up, that didn't sell because that NES game had the terrible bad luck to come out too late (1993, the SNES had been out two years by that point) to a world that just didn't expose games the way it does now.

If you are lucky enough to come across a rare, valuable, collectable video game, you may be swimming in a pool of gold coins like our man Scrooge McDuck...

giphy.gif.6679310a9bd672d7071a8fcdd790a14f.gif

But the odds are to actually play, it'd be like those coins are chocolate coins, except that's not chocolate...

Edited by Shagger

Another thing, you want to know what the one of the rarest games on PS2 is?

51aOOpHAEzL._AC_.jpg.a235c5ff703bb1f21bf8b2b90b71255b.jpg

And I promise, I swear to you, I'm not kidding. Back in the holiday period 2013, EA made the strange decision to release this game on... well, everything, and do mean every platform, including the already redundant PS2 and even PSP. That's how little effort goes into these games, BTW, they can release on three generations of home console and two generations of handheld at the exact same time. Anyway, because this was the same holiday period as the PS4 and XBox One launched, obviously with their versions of this game, nobody bought this, so you can see where this is going. It's becoming collectible.

This is my tip. If see the PSP or PS2 version of this game, especially the legacy version sealed and in decent shape, buy it.

Edited by Shagger

I’m looking to buy the right copy of [i]Little Samson[/i] before long. eBay has several people selling. I only have to decide how much I’m willing to spend. One person has an authenticated, factory sealed, graded copy for $5,500. I’m heavily considering that one. But there are several others that are only the cartridge, authenticated as well, for roughly $1,000-$1,500. So before too long I’m gonna have one of the rarest NES games in existence. Possibly one of the rarest video games period.

On 9/16/2020 at 2:46 PM, AndreiMirfi said:

Left 4 Dead Franchise

Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)

Need for Speed Underground, Most Wanted 2005

L4D 1 and 2 in the wrapping yet? Nice! I'm guessing the same for Gran Turismo 4 and Need for Speed? I can see those going for a lot still in the plastic. 

22 hours ago, Shagger said:

Another thing, you want to know what the one of the rarest games on PS2 is?

51aOOpHAEzL._AC_.jpg.a235c5ff703bb1f21bf8b2b90b71255b.jpg

And I promise, I swear to you, I'm not kidding. Back in the holiday period 2013, EA made the strange decision to release this game on... well, everything, and do mean every platform, including the already redundant PS2 and even PSP. That's how little effort goes into these games, BTW, they can release on three generations of home console and two generations of handheld at the exact same time. Anyway, because this was the same holiday period as the PS4 and XBox One launched, obviously with their versions of this game, nobody bought this, so you can see where this is going. It's becoming collectible.

This is my tip. If see the PSP or PS2 version of this game, especially the legacy version sealed and it decent shape, buy it.

It's always been weird to me that PS2 was getting new games for quite a while. I think Madden was on PS2 until like 2012 or so. Same with Fifa it seems. The Wii is still getting games. 

On 9/17/2020 at 8:26 PM, The Blackangel said:

I’m looking to buy the right copy of [i]Little Samson[/i] before long. eBay has several people selling. I only have to decide how much I’m willing to spend. One person has an authenticated, factory sealed, graded copy for $5,500. I’m heavily considering that one. But there are several others that are only the cartridge, authenticated as well, for roughly $1,000-$1,500. So before too long I’m gonna have one of the rarest NES games in existence. Possibly one of the rarest video games period.

Best of luck with that. That would be a real jewel in any collection.

On 9/27/2020 at 2:12 AM, Kane99 said:

Ah ok, so you have L4D 1 and 2 on Steam I'm guessing? Do you have NFS and Gran Turismo still in the wrapping? Might be worth some money if they are, especially the first Gran Turismo. 

The L4D games are on my Steam, and the other games are on wrapping, yes. It's Gran Turismo 4 for the PS2. I don't feel like selling them.

I have an update, so I do have a game in my collection that seems to be somewhat rare. I have the PS1 version of a game called In the Hunt. I made a topic here about the game. 👉 Here.

I'm not able to find anywhere selling the game aside from Ebay, which has the same exact copy I do, going for $459.99 here. Mine looks to be in similar shape, but does have some markings and scratches, and portion of the cardboard is coming off. 

I decided to check the two other long box PS1 games I have, Agile Warrior F-IIIX and Warhawk, but they aren't worth much. But In The Hunt, in the long box at least, seems to be quite rare. While the jewel case is also going for like $200 or so. I also noticed some people just selling the disc for like $100+. Wish more of my games were this rare. 

I have multiple copies of FF8. Both original black label and greatest hits. I also have collectors editions of the guide. I have roughly about 20 PS1 memory cards, and just as many PS2 cards. It can be a real pain in the ass finding the specific file you want to play with that many cards, but if you end up playing big games that take multiple blocks, then it's virtually required.

One that I've seen going for a lot online that's in my collection is Castlevania SOTN.

Another thing I have that seems to be rare is the Assassins Creed edition of the PSP. I lost the game LONG AGO, but still have the machine somewhere around here.

Edited by The Blackangel