Register Now
Zak

Does anyone still play arcade games in an actual arcade?

My introduction to gaming was via the local arcade. Games like Golden Axe and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, later Street Fighter, Outrun and Afterburner. I spent a small fortune chasing high scores. 

Seems as though there are few arcades these days, primarily because you can play anything like from the arcade in the comfort of your home. 

Does anyone still choose to go to the arcade?

Before lockdown restrictions were announced, yes. Every time I went for a meal with family or friends, we went for a stroll on the beach front before visiting an Arcade. When everything gets back to some level of normality, this is something which I'm going to be doing again.

Nothing beats a classic game. 

Other than people wanted to try and build there own custom arcade system in there home where they eat and drink and poop and sleep. As my years of childhood, I rarely went, in fact, it's something that you do not have back in Australia, not like the United Kingdom.

As I said in another topic, Yes and no, they are still around and yet they are only open once a season.

On 9/19/2020 at 5:59 PM, skyfire said:

We don't have old arcade shops anymore. And also even the old models are not even in sales. So all that I have is the emulator to play with. 

Personally, I don't play them anymore, even if I wanted to, I simply can't get them. 

On 2/12/2021 at 12:59 PM, Patrik said:

I wanted to get one recently for the sake of childhood's nostalgia, but they are so expensive on internet, average of 400$, i better get a PS5 or a Xbox for the price lmao

Seriously, for $400? I'm yet to get Playstation 5, I'd wait and add a little more dollars to it and get a next gen console. 

Just now, Heatman said:

Seriously, for $400? I'm yet to get Playstation 5, I'd wait and add a little more dollars to it and get a next gen console. 

well yeah, i know that buying a PS5 for the same price is surely a better thing to do, but those people are putting those prices because those arcades are now "sort of rare"

I am seriously awful at real life arcade games! I don't know if it's the height of the controllers that throws me off or the noise all around so I can't concentrate but I cannot get a good score out in an arcade. Now when those same games are online, I do so much better. Not a high score type of person but at least I'm not totally ashamed of my progress.

On 8/12/2021 at 12:24 AM, Patrik said:

well yeah, i know that buying a PS5 for the same price is surely a better thing to do, but those people are putting those prices because those arcades are now "sort of rare"

Yeah, they are indeed rare but seriously it doesn't justify the hefty price tag it comes with by a long shot. 

On 2/12/2021 at 5:29 PM, Patrik said:

I wanted to get one recently for the sake of childhood's nostalgia, but they are so expensive on internet, average of 400$, i better get a PS5 or a Xbox for the price lmao

Lol 😆 for $400. Come on, that's so huge amount. You can buy a PS5 with that. That is the reason why most of those arcades are shutting down these days. Obviously people would prefer other options, rather simply going there which costs so huge. 🙄

18 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

Lol 😆 for $400. Come on, that's so huge amount. You can buy a PS5 with that. That is the reason why most of those arcades are shutting down these days. Obviously people would prefer other options, rather simply going there which costs so huge. 🙄

Seriously, the price is what makes some take two steps front and 4 steps back in getting that game and you won't really blame them. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, the price is what makes some take two steps front and 4 steps back in getting that game and you won't really blame them. 

Hmm. I too have one arcade running in the nearby city. But atleast the cost is not that high. It is still comparatively higher than early days, around 30 to 40 bucks. Though, not many people goes there these days after the pandemic. 😏