Register Now
Kane99

Will the SSD hard drives cost a lot?

The Xbox Series X and Series S will come with SSD hard drive storage and will even come with extra spots for SSD hard drives. The downside though, seems that these SSD drives may cost a lot of money. How much do you expect the drives to cost? I sure hope it's not anything extra compared to other SSD's with the same storage. 

What do you guys think?

The short answer is yes.  These are porpriitory PCI 4.0 NVMe SSD's, so if you want an extra 1TB or so at launch don't be shocked to pay $200 or more.  I hope that they can maybe do them for less but I understand that they are taking a loss on the upfront cost of the systems and these SSD's are very expensive.

Edited by Crazycrab

Give it a few years maybe even a single year or so and there's going to be a crap ton of third party brand SSD cards or a bunch of universal ones that can be used on PC and Xbox for like I don't know half the price or a third of the price. But why so muvh more then not.. Crazy

On 10/16/2022 at 12:18 PM, Empire said:

Give it a few years maybe even a single year or so and there's going to be a crap ton of third party brand SSD cards or a bunch of universal ones that can be used on PC and Xbox for like I don't know half the price or a third of the price. But why so muvh more then not.. Crazy

That's attainable and third party SSD seems to be a lot more cheaper than when buying custom made SSD and that's the same for my PC SSD as well.

On 10/28/2022 at 4:20 PM, Justin11 said:

That's attainable and third party SSD seems to be a lot more cheaper than when buying custom made SSD and that's the same for my PC SSD as well.

Not paying high brands like samsung - even that they make there own chips, Just have to be carefull on what you end up buying if you have not hard of the brands before right. 

My sons all have an Xbox Series S and they would love to be able to get more storage for their consoles but at the moment, no matter how much I have looked, there only seems to be the really expensive ones done by Seagate that are available and at the moment I am not seeing anything third party for these consoles. It's a shame as so many people are unable to spend as much as Seagate want for the SSD and you are pretty limited to what you can get at the moment. I can only hope that we see third party more affordable SSDs in time. I would have thought there would be by now unless I have missed something and there is something?

On 10/30/2022 at 9:05 PM, Shortie said:

My sons all have an Xbox Series S and they would love to be able to get more storage for their consoles but at the moment, no matter how much I have looked, there only seems to be the really expensive ones done by Seagate that are available and at the moment I am not seeing anything third party for these consoles. It's a shame as so many people are unable to spend as much as Seagate want for the SSD and you are pretty limited to what you can get at the moment. I can only hope that we see third party more affordable SSDs in time. I would have thought there would be by now unless I have missed something and there is something?

They are becoming more expensive now because they have introduced SSD card with higher memory space in terabytes.

You could just go for one now and later you could get one each for the boys if it's entirely a necessity you have a SSD card.

9 hours ago, Justin11 said:

They are becoming more expensive now because they have introduced SSD card with higher memory space in terabytes.

You could just go for one now and later you could get one each for the boys if it's entirely a necessity you have a SSD card.

No, they're more expensive because it's a new format of SSD storage, an emerging technology, not because there's more space on it. Whips the same format, a lager SSD is naturally going to case more than a smaller one, but you can get SSD's that cost less despite being lager because the format is different.

On 10/30/2022 at 8:05 PM, Shortie said:

Unfortunately there's no way round it.  Microsoft have a contract with Seagate to produce the SSD cards bet even if they didn't and other third parties could jump into the market, the prices wouldn't come down very much if at all.  The SSD's on the next gen consoles high speed NVMe SSD's and they cost a lot of money.  The consoles and even some of the games have be optimised specifically for them.  So if a cheaper (and by that I really mean slower) version of cards came out some titles and other features legitimacy might not work properly.

This is one the reasons I never really thought the XBox Series S was not really worth it.  The expandable storage cost almost as much, perhaps even more than the console itself.

18 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Not exactly.  Obviously larger capacity SSD's cost more because there's more storage, you just get what you pay for.  I've been looking at PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD's on places like Amazon (UK) lately and they all tend to be around £100 per TB, regardless of size.

My sons all have an Xbox Series S each and they have often complained about the lack of storage they have for their console, and I can feel their pain. At the moment I have an Xbox One X and I have a portable SSD for that and without that I would be so lost, and they have 1TB of storage. The Xbox Series S has I believe 500GB or storage and I know some of that much like with all other consoles gets taken up by the OS on the system, so they are left with less space. With games becoming bigger and bigger as well I can't imagine 500GB holds a lot. With them asking I did look into the SSDs for the Series S hoping they may have dropped in price or there may be third party ones for a more affordable price. Unfortunately, there isn't which is a shame and a shock after 2 years as well. If you are on a budget, it's seeming very difficult to get more storage for the next gen consoles. Hopefully one day we will see a third party one.