Register Now
Kane99

Has a PC game ever blew up your PC?

Some PC games out there can be very intensive on some PCs. Depending on if you have a good graphics card or not. Have you ever had a game so powerful, that it destroyed your PC in the process? Maybe you played the game too long, or your PC could never handle it to begin with. Has this ever happened to you? 

I do worry about it, but I feel as long as I take care of my PC it'll be fine. 

I've had some instances of PC's shutting down due to thermals but they've always worked again after allowing them to cool down.  On a completely unrelated note dont play a graphically intensive game on a hot day with the front fans off and the front panel door closed...  just a general tip... never happend to me... 😳

Edited by Crazycrab

Another thing that didn't happen to me was the cooling fan for the CPU coming loose then the CPU dying. It obviously didn't explode... this other person's computer, but it was still annoying as hell...  for this person...that wasn't me.

The point is a computer won't explode if it's pushed to hard, it'll just shut down. There's too many failsafes in things these days for something electrical blowing up to be realistically possible.

Edited by Shagger

11 minutes ago, ARx182 said:

Aren't PCs designed to have some sort of safety shut-down if they can't handle something, rather than blowing up. That's what I've heard anyway. I'd be very concerned if my PC had a risk of blowing up haha.

Like I said earlier;

On 9/21/2020 at 6:51 AM, Shagger said:

Another thing that didn't happen to me was the cooling fan for the CPU coming loose then the CPU dying. It obviously didn't explode... this other person's computer, but it was still annoying as hell...  for this person...that wasn't me.

The point is a computer won't explode if it's pushed to hard, it'll just shut down. There's too many failsafes in things these days for something electrical blowing up to be realistically possible.

I have had experience in the past, one time I was very young at an age of 10 or 11 years old and this PC was an old desktop from 1994, anyway, I see a switch on the back of the power block and I clicked it. You guys can guess what happened after that 😛

That was my big major bang. Other time power blocks that I had over the years (2 years since the last) that it fails and had to replace them. Most power blocks nowadays have a safety system in them.  

On 9/21/2020 at 1:51 AM, Shagger said:

I didn't know that. I guess I learned something new today. But could it still cause any damage to a PC? If it doesn't explode, could it cause a short somewhere in the PC? Just curious. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I didn't know that. I guess I learned something new today. But could it still cause any damage to a PC? If it doesn't explode, could it cause a short somewhere in the PC? Just curious. 

It could cause a multitude of effects like frying the motherboard among other things.

PC's blowing due to intensive games is just a joke :p, if your PC isn't capable of running a game, it will just keep playing it at very low FPS (1 fps for example with hardware's usage maxed out), or it will not even launch (sometimes due to unsupported hardware) or it will crash after seconds or even minutes of running.

8 minutes ago, Patrik said:

PC's blowing due to intensive games is just a joke :p, if your PC isn't capable of running a game, it will just keep playing it at very low FPS (1 fps for example with hardware's usage maxed out), or it will not even launch (sometimes due to unsupported hardware) or it will crash after seconds or even minutes of running.

If processor is overclocked and you play some app or game that takes it to max limits. yes the processor burning is pretty common. 

52 minutes ago, skyfire said:

If processor is overclocked and you play some app or game that takes it to max limits. yes the processor burning is pretty common. 

This can happen in non-intensive games as well as any other task if CPU is being pushed to the limits