Register Now
THawk

Play PS4 games on PS5

I've heard that the PS5 will be able to be backward compatible to the PS4 games. Does this mean that you will be able to insert your PS4 game disk into the PS5 or will you have to wait till Sony makes the PS4 game compatible? I know, silly question but one I'd like the answer to and I have a headache from searching. TIA

I think it's amazing that they are making PS4 games compatible with the PS5. There are quite a lot of games on my PS4 that I would like to continue playing on the PS5; also saves me money buying all those games again.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:21 AM, ARx182 said:

I think it's amazing that they are making PS4 games compatible with the PS5. There are quite a lot of games on my PS4 that I would like to continue playing on the PS5; also saves me money buying all those games again.

Me too

A little update. Sony has announced that following 10 PS4 games are the only PS4 games that will NOT be backwards compatible with the PS5.

Ej5bFvyVcAUOVeB.thumb.jpg.1de3a716b078b8d9cf547d9a8762a8e6.jpg

I'm still not entirely sure how BC will actually work with disk based games, but digital PS4 games in your library will be downloadable from the PS store onto your PS5 console. I'm still assuming that one will have to download the game then the disk is used by the system as a kind of authentication tool.

Edited by Shagger

I imagine it'll be emulation similar to what the Xbox One did with the 360 and Xbox originals. That's a small  list though, and nothing I'd be too sad to miss. Wish they supported PS3, PS2 and PS1 as well. Or even PS3 at the least. But oh well, still will be able to play most PS4 titles, so that's a plus. 

On 10/1/2020 at 2:21 PM, ARx182 said:

If they didn't make it so, it's definitely going to very challenging getting great games to play on PS5 which by the way PS4 has got a monster collection. 

10 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Sony simply did something amazing here, by building PS5 to be compatible to play other lower consoles games and also maintaining it's engine games. 

Well, they still have some games that are strictly Playstation 5 exclusive games. The aim is to help sell the console quickly with limiting playing such games only on PS5.