Register Now
m76

Ask m76

23 minutes ago, m76 said:

With the risk of painting a very bleak picture the facts are these:

We have some of the highest taxes that I know of. About 40% of your salary is taken as taxes. And there is a 27% VAT on most services and goods. So basically you get to spend about 40% of your earnings on actual things. Which wouldn't so bad if wages weren't about 1/5th of western countries while the prices of consumer products is actually higher in most cases.  The only thing that is more affordable here are utilities. In the US $7 / hour is considered unacceptable nowadays. Here that's considered a very decent wage. Most people earn less than that, even the average is lower than that, let alone the minimum.  That said we are still better off than most former member states of the USSR. (We were never a member state, just a thrall)

I don't want to sound like I hate everything here, I don't,

Wow, that's terrible. My effective tax rate seems to be somewhere between 25-30%, I make a reasonable amount of money, and I still struggle to get by in the US. I can't imagine how you pay the bills.

7 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

Wow, that's terrible. My effective tax rate seems to be somewhere between 25-30%, I make a reasonable amount of money, and I still struggle to get by in the US. I can't imagine how you pay the bills.

As I've mentioned utilities are cheaper here, otherwise it would be impossible as you say. I pay about $40/month for internet phone and tv, combined.

But in the end you need to choose where you spend money and where not to. I choose not to go on vacation since 2013. But at least I get to travel through work.

12 minutes ago, m76 said:

As I've mentioned utilities are cheaper here, otherwise it would be impossible as you say. I pay about $40/month for internet phone and tv, combined.

But in the end you need to choose where you spend money and where not to. I choose not to go on vacation since 2013. But at least I get to travel through work.

I can relate. Aside from one weekend trip and another where I had to go move stuff from storage and another where I was moving cross-country, I haven't been on a "vacation" since before I graduated high school.

25 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

I can relate. Aside from one weekend trip and another where I had to go move stuff from storage and another where I was moving cross-country, I haven't been on a "vacation" since before I graduated high school.

That sucks, I love to travel, but I hate public transport. Including flying. I have no problem with the flying itself but the waiting and security checks and having to arrive hours before the flight.  So I drive or cycle everywhere I can.

4 minutes ago, m76 said:

That sucks, I love to travel, but I hate public transport. Including flying. I have no problem with the flying itself but the waiting and security checks and having to arrive hours before the flight.  So I drive or cycle everywhere I can.

Same here! I love driving, especially by myself. But I can't stand the train or bus. I support public transit as a thing, but I just don't like doing it.

I've taken trips over the years but nothing I would really call a vacation. Right now though, I'm in the process of paying off a cruise I'm taking with my girl in September 2022, assuming the Covid shit is died down enough. We're sailing out of Seattle, down through the Canal, and back up to Florida. There will be a lot of stops in port along the way for shore excursions. Cartageña Colombia is one that I'm looking forward to.

11 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I've taken trips over the years but nothing I would really call a vacation. Right now though, I'm in the process of paying off a cruise I'm taking with my girl in September 2022, assuming the Covid shit is died down enough. We're sailing out of Seattle, down through the Canal, and back up to Florida. There will be a lot of stops in port along the way for shore excursions. Cartageña Colombia is one that I'm looking forward to.

I'd go stir crazy on a cruise ship.

13 hours ago, DC said:

@m76 What's the weirdest dream you've ever had?

I have a lot of weird dreams, but usually completely forget them by noon. I don't read any significance into dreams. They are just a echos of your brain misfiring. But I did notice that if I'm very preoccupied with a subject I tend to dream around that theme.

The only thing I can recall now about my dreams is that there was a recurring theme for the past few years, where I'm the owner or proprietor of a huge mansion in the countryside. It is the same building and surroundings each time, regardless of the actual events taking place, that's probably why I can still remember the place because I've seen it so many times now. It appeared in a dream just today, but I already forgot what was the actual dream about.

What I also noticed is that you are only able to recall dreams that happened just before you woke up, so maybe the last 15-20 minutes of sleep or even less.

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

If you could have a superpower what would it be ?

But seriously, there are so many dishonest and bad faith people out there, especially on the internet. I'd love to be able to instantly know whether someone is genuine or not.

Edited by m76

1 hour ago, Head_Hunter said:

@m76 which country are you from, and what's your average monthly income after tax? 

Hungary.

Average monthly income was about $1300 in 2021, which might seem extremely low to people from western countries. But it's above average here. Minimum wage is around $450.to put it in perspective.

13 minutes ago, m76 said:

Hungary.

Average monthly income was about $1300 in 2021, which might seem extremely low to people from western countries. But it's above average here. Minimum wage is around $450.to put it in perspective.

You're welcome a friend from Hungary. It doesn't matter how much you earning on a monthly basis, provided it is enough for you, then it is perfect. I know in Western developed countries it might look low amount, due to increase in their tax payment.