Register Now
Kane99

Games based off movies

Games based off movies usually never do good. There are some exceptions, but I don't know any lol. You got stuff like The Godfather, Scarface, Sopranos, Bad Boys, super hero movies and so on. Most of the time, games based off of movies don't do so hot. Most of the time they're awful. The big reason why, is because these games were pushed out to release at the same time as the movies. Usually this means we get some really crappy games. 

But, I'm glad to see that there aren't many games based off movies anymore. If anything, I think more movies based on games are coming out now. 

How do you feel about these types of games? Do you remember playing any good ones?

There is the Witcher tv series from the game. But I don't know if there was a book out even before the game. I can't think of a movie based on a game that didn't have a book first except for Resident Evil and I think Silent Hill. Games that came from movies are many. Producers think fans of the movie will automatically like the game, so they usually half ass it for the young crowd. Alien Isolation seems like a good game taken from a movie. I plan on playing it. The Warriors on ps2 I thought was pretty cool, taken from the classic movie The Warriors. "Warriors, come out to play!" Warriors, come out to playeeaay!!! 

Movie lived games have that unfortunate, but still earned reputation for poor quality and it's a very simple. These aren't games, there's merchandise. Quickly cobbled together, pationless bread and butter and very little else. Now that I think about it though, these types of games haven't felt as commonplace as they used to be, and I think I know why.

ModernAAA games, even rushed licensed garbage, cost to much time and money to make to rich out like action figure or a soft foam Thor hammer, mot to mention the problems with releasing said game with the related movie. Instead, to cash in on the video craze, but avoid the modern impracticalities of licencing videos to promote a specific movie, owners of IPs seem to prefer licencing what I call Franchise Games instead.

Such games have been around for years, but I feel the more recent trend I'm thinking off kind of stated with Batman Arkham and Marvel Vs Capcom, but then we saw games like Injustice, Spiderman PS4 and the upcoming Hogwarts Legacy. These games are made with the passion, creative liberty and resources that the typical movie license game just aren't blessed with. These games are better and they sell more, its a win for everyone! Obviously, it's not like these games can't be crap, just look at the recent but already forgotten Marvel's Avengers title from Square Enix, but this still a welcome change to the typical movie licenced game.

3 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Such games have been around for years, but I feel the more recent trend I'm thinking off kind of stated with Batman Arkham and Marvel Vs Capcom, but then we saw games like Injustice, Spiderman PS4 and the upcoming Hogwarts Legacy. These games are made with the passion, creative liberty and resources that the typical movie license game just aren't blessed with. These games are better and they sell more, its a win for everyone! Obviously, it's not like these games can't be crap, just look at the recent but already forgotten Marvel's Avengers title from Square Enix, but this still a welcome change to the typical movie licenced game.

Are the newer Batman and Superman games good? I'm not a fan, but if the game is good why not? They have good reviews. 

9 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

There is the Witcher tv series from the game. But I don't know if there was a book out even before the game.

Both the The Witcher games and TV show were based on a book series. The TV definitely takes some inspiration for it's visual style from the game and would almost certainly have never been made without the game's success, but they are both based primarily on the books, not each other.

EDIT: And yes, the Batman Arkham series and Spiderman are both really good open world, action adventure games.

Edited by Shagger

There was one issue with movie games that was a fatal flaw to most back in the early days. They were almost exclusively made by LJN. For that reason alone, most people wouldn’t give them a chance. Personally I have several LJN games that I enjoy the hell out of. 2 that are movie games. Friday The 13th (NES) and Warlock (SNES). Both are loads of fun in my opinion. But seeing that LJN rainbow was enough to run most gamers off. Hence the games didn’t do well, whether the game was actually any good or not. The fault can’t be laid on LJN entirely. I’m not saying that it could or should be. But their reputation (deserved or not) was enough to make the games they made bomb. Comic-to-game titles almost always seem to do well, regardless of who the publisher is. But movie-to-game titles don’t have the same luck.

Edited by The Blackangel

I would love Rockstar to create a movie that is based of the famous but yet classic game, "Grand Theft Auto Five".  I'm imagining fun scenes of where "the average joe" tries to live a normal day, without being the victim of any crimes. The action packed film would be fun to watch, especially in 3D! 

33 minutes ago, skyfire said:

I wonder why darksiders and the devil may cry didnt get any live action movie or even tv series. those two games are really worth it. 

I think there is some anime of Devil May Cry at least and I think that suits it better.  I don't think it would work in live action, it would look a bit ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I think there is some anime of Devil May Cry at least and I think that suits it better.  I don't think it would work in live action, it would look a bit ridiculous.

Mortal Kombat? Street Fighter? Mario Bros?

I think we're a bit past worrying about whether a live action movie made off a game looks ridiculous.

Edited by The Blackangel

Personally, I really enjoyed watching the movie The Witcher and the same thing goes with my playing experience with its game. For the fact that it's an open world game gave it all the tricks it needed to more real like the movie itself.