Register Now
Kane99

Games based off movies

21 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

Games like Arkham Asylum or Spiderman are based on the movies itself. In other hand, Movies like Prince of Persia was directed after the game was a hit in early 2000s. I have played all three of them. 😁

The Batman Arkham and 2018' Spiderman games are based on their respective IPs, and IP those include Comic Books, TV shows, Movies, Artwork, Toys and Games. Those games are a part of a larger franchise that includes movies, but they are not movie licenced games and do not directly tie into any specific film. Calling them "Franchise Games" would be accurate and franchise games tend to be very good.

1 hour ago, Empire said:

Many James bond films that became games, GoldenEye 007 Not sure it holds up today, but when it came out it was amazing. ALso Lord of the rings and whatnot 😉 

Seriously, James Bond movies are very awesome and thrilling but I'm not sure why it never had a major breakthrough in video games. 

1 hour ago, Empire said:

Many James bond films that became games, GoldenEye 007 Not sure it holds up today, but when it came out it was amazing. ALso Lord of the rings and whatnot 😉 

Goldeneye was revolutionary for it's time. Mostly down to the aiming mechanics with analogue control and enemy AI that mimicked human behaviour in ways that hadn't been seen before. Using cover, communicating with each other, reacting to your actions, opening door and so on. Now, obviously, that all sounds perfectly everyday now, but back then it was radical. But what really set Goldeneye apart, and again something revolutionary and would set a trend, was the multiplayer. Frantic, 4 player matches that really stretched the lifespan of the game. It was all local multiplayer of course, not online, but the concept started with this game and became the template for multiplayer FPS as we know it.

To be honest, though, the game has not aged well and it would suck today, the FPS genre has blown way past by now, but it's hard to believe that the FPS genre would be what it is today without it.

Edited by Shagger

On 10/7/2020 at 7:40 PM, skyfire said:

I honestly got tired of the walkiing dead series. It was dragged a lot. And was not worth it to be honest. I am glad the TV version ended. 

Seriously - It got to a point where I couldn't follow up with Walking Dead series again. It's also the same thing with Hero's. Do you remember the movie? 

4 hours ago, Shagger said:

The Batman Arkham and 2018' Spiderman games are based on their respective IPs, and IP those include Comic Books, TV shows, Movies, Artwork, Toys and Games. Those games are a part of a larger franchise that includes movies, but they are not movie licenced games and do not directly tie into any specific film. Calling them "Franchise Games" would be accurate and franchise games tend to be very good.

I got your point. But they should have licensed the game, right? I mean, the publisher of Batman series is DC, how could Warner Bros and Eidos can launch a game where most of the contents resembles from the franchise?

4 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

I got your point. But they should have licensed the game, right? I mean, the publisher of Batman series is DC, how could Warner Bros and Eidos can launch a game where most of the contents resembles from the franchise?

Well, of course publishers and developers are able to use the somebody else's intellectual property (IP) only because they have a licence and a contract with said owner, that's how these deals work. What the owner of that IP gets in exchange for allowing the publisher/developer to use said IP depends on the deal they agree to. It could be money, shares, a cut of the sales made or whatever it is, it's just like another business barter. As customers, like it or not, it's not our place to know or question what specifically that deal is. Rights to use an IP could be sold for could be for a $gazillion or recipe for turnip and carrot soup, it doesn't really matter, that's between the parties involved.

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

Well, of course publishers and developers are able to use the somebody else's intellectual property (IP) only because they have a licence and a contract with said owner, that's how these deals work. What the owner of that IP gets in exchange for allowing the publisher/developer to use said IP depends on the deal they agree to. It could be money, shares, a cut of the sales made or whatever it is, it's just like another business barter. As customers, like it or not, it's not our place to know or question what specifically that deal is. Rights to use an IP could be sold for could be for a $gazillion or recipe for turnip and carrot soup, it doesn't really matter, that's between the parties involved.

Yeah - Even if we felt too much to know about how the deal came about, it's still up to them to give any clarification or not and whether we know it or not, it's never going to impact on the deal in any way whatsoever. 

I'd like to think that over the course of this thread that we have defined the difference between games based on IP's that include movies and movie licenced based games. So, now that's out of the way;

Movie Licenced Games Suck!!!

They are made like novelty shirts and hats themed around some movie. They are not an expression of the entertainment media that is video games, they're a happy meal toy. Thankfully, the amount of games sold as merchandise has decreased in the last few years. It's a sign to me that video games aren't being looked at AS merchandise, but as a means to SELL merchandise. You see, greed never changes, it adapts.