Register Now
Kane99

Fast Travel in games should be changed

What are your feelings on fast travel in games? Sometimes they work really well, but other times it's a chore to figure out and a chore to do. For example, RDR2 is annoying, in that to fast travel, you have to be at an outpost. So, you have to sometimes travel for minutes to get to the nearest outpost and then fast travel to the next location, which can take nearly a minute in itself. 

Just give us an option to fast travel to locations from our menu. I understand maybe having to open up an area first before it can be traveled to, but at least make it a quick option in the menu once its been opened. 

I know I'm just ranting at this point. But I've become a lazy gamer lol. I just want to get to the gameplay as fast as possible and not be stuck going from one place to another just to get to another location. 

What are your feelings on this? 

Depending on the distance, I take a coach once in a while in RDR2. But that's usually if I'm wanting to go a huge way like from St. Denis to Strawberry or something. Otherwise I like to ride the countryside. But I also have the white Arabian, so I have the best horse in the game. She's completely brain dead, but otherwise amazing.

Some of the horses in this game are so damn dumb that at times it almost makes you want to try to tame an frickin' alligator to ride instead.

Fast travel is a simple convenience in an open world game and nothing more. I hate it when games try to make it feel like a privilege to earn or not privileged at all. It's right to have limitations and unlocks, but until you've played an open world RPG that lacks the feature, you have not Idea what it's like to live without it and how much worse it makes a game. I played Dragon's Dogma in its original design, and trust me, it's a nightmare.

In Horizon Zero Dawn, there was a material cost to making Fast Travel Packs and a more expensive permanent pack you could buy and it worked in that game because there it helped balance exploration. There were benefits to going on foot or "machine" back by making it potentially better to go in real time to places rather fast travel, but didn't crucify you for choosing convenience. There we obviously the limitations of only fast travel applying to found locations and stuff, and that's also OK. That's about as far is fast travel limitations should ever get.

No open work should disclude fast travel. Limit it, like only at certain locations or only previously visited places, have it cost in-game time, whatever, but don't disclude it.

Edited by Shagger