Register Now
Kane99

Anyone considering the Atari VCS?

I'm sure you're all well aware of the upcoming Atari VCS, which is expected to release for $399.99. There is no official release date from what I can see, but I suspect it'll drop around the time the new gen consoles do, or sometime early 2021. 

Anyway, I highly doubt this console is going to sell anywhere near what the PS5 or new Xbox is going for. And when this is just $100 less than those consoles, I don't see this console lasting very long, if at all. 

There hasn't been a lot of news about exclusives, and from what I see they don't even have all the rights to the full Atari catalog. Though I could be wrong on that. I just don't see this thing surviving. What do you guys think though? 

You can see more of the Atari VCS at this site here - Atari VCS

It's going to flop hard. No one is going to want it. It's no different than a flashback system. Why the hell would anyone want it? It offers nothing except a new dent in your bank account.

Until now I had never even heard of it. I had no knowledge of this taking place. And I bet a huge number of people, majority most likely, haven't heard about it either.

I've heard about it, I've been following it for a while actually.  It Initially looked pretty promising, a throwback console that would have a library of classic Atari games similar to the NES or SNES Classic, that would also have the comforts of a modern system and even be capable of playing some modern games.  But as it stands it's had a shaky development, it's WAY too expensive and over engineered for what it needs to be and now releasing alongside the next gen giants form Microsoft and Sony which is suicidal.  Maybe if you wanted a more convenient way of playing some old Atati games I could see the point but I really don't see many people biting here.

On 10/4/2020 at 10:44 AM, The Blackangel said:

Atari already released an Atari flashback several years ago when the flashback craze hit. So I seriously don't get the logic behind this one. I think it's just some bored developers trying to toy around with money they don't actually have.

Oh, it's not exactly like the flashback console. Atari is calling it a PC/Console hybrid and has and AMD Ryzen Processor with Radeon Graphics Tech. You can also stream 4K content (Netflix/Hulu, stuff like that) It will come with many Atari games, but it is also expected to receive new games and possibly even exclusive titles. As well, this is new to me, they are allowing people to install their own OS on it, so you can probably install Windows and play Steam on it even. Though I'm not 100% sure. 

Check their site out for more details. I still don't see this thing being worth $399.99 at release. You can get a pre-order deal of $10 off, for $389.99, woopdiedoo lol. What a discount. 

I checked it out after I saw this post. I know they’re advertising it as a PC/console, but by the design alone, I just don’t get how it’s expected to work as both. If they were marketing it as a streaming device instead, then I could see it having possibility. I could be missing something vital here, but to be honest, I really don’t care. I don’t have any intentions of having it as I have no need for it. From what I have read so far, it offers nothing that I would have interest in or use for.

This article here states that the new Atari VCS will launch alongside the PS5 this November (next month) but doesn't state the official release date. If this is true, I really think this is a poor decision on their part. Considering the Xbox Series X/S and the PS5 are coming out within days of each other, why would you want to toss in another console at the same time? Atari probably would do a lot better if they tried to sell this later, possibly in 2021. Possibly around the time of the Switch release, but even so, I don't think Atari can compete with any of these consoles. What do you think? 

5 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

This article here states that the new Atari VCS will launch alongside the PS5 this November (next month) but doesn't state the official release date. If this is true, I really think this is a poor decision on their part. Considering the Xbox Series X/S and the PS5 are coming out within days of each other, why would you want to toss in another console at the same time? Atari probably would do a lot better if they tried to sell this later, possibly in 2021. Possibly around the time of the Switch release, but even so, I don't think Atari can compete with any of these consoles. What do you think? 

OK, who went down on whom to convince T3 to print that article? I can't even get past the headline without laughing.

Ek8TvQ_XEAAzMP9.thumb.png.b992cbae5d8c54024acfbdf5cb26b03d.png

On 10/22/2020 at 1:38 PM, Shagger said:

OK, who went down on whom to convince T3 to print that article? I can't even get past the headline without laughing.

Ek8TvQ_XEAAzMP9.thumb.png.b992cbae5d8c54024acfbdf5cb26b03d.png

I think that article was an April fools joke - in October...The author must be a troll or trying to gain some attention because in no way, shape or form is that a serious article. Most gamers today never even had an Atari console - that includes me and I hardly played any Atari games other then Dragon Ball Z games. The Atari console's main audience is gamers who are older than me.

Price is to high in my option and are you considering it? Nope 🙂 For those without imagination, I can imagine the confusion after being told 'what they can enjoy' for decades. It borders on defensiveness. Even if it did nothing but run Minecraft for Java, having all my builds (I've been playing since Alpha before the kids got on the console versions) and maps that I design for MP servers on the couch is good enough for me. But that's just peanuts for what I intend to do to this on PC.

I heard it was released recently, but I think I confused it with the news that consoles were being shipped to backers. Or so I've heard. Anyway, it officially launches in March I think. I don't know how the people running this company can think it's going to sell on nostalgia alone. I can't see that happening. This thing is not going to sell, and Atari will be sold off to the next highest bidder.