Register Now
Kane99

Too many remasters and too little new IPs

Are we getting too many remastered games, and not enough new IPs? I feel like every new gen, they gotta remaster every game. Spider-Man already has a remaster, and that game looked phenomenal on the PS4. Why not wait a few years to re-master it again? I can see more people taking interest in it after a bit of a wait. But I suppose they need to cash in as soon as possible. 

Anyway, I kind of feel that we get more remasters these days than we do brand new games. Doesn't it kind of feel like that in a way? What do you guys think? Don't get me wrong though, I am all for remasters. I just wish they'd wait a bit before doing one. 

The gaming world is slowing down, due to being nothing but sequels. They think that remastering a game will bring people back into it, as if it's new. There are no new franchises, no new ideas, and no risks taken. A title does well on it's first in the series, they keep making sequels until they have completely run it into the ground. Then they bring one back, remaster it, and call it new. Now if it's a series like Final Fantasy, where they all have the same name but are nothing alike, then that's different. Also Mario is an exception. Each Mario game was completely different than it's predecessor wit the exception of saving Peach from Bowser. Also it branched out into a hundred spinoffs. So far I haven't seen a Mario remaster. Because they know they don't need to. Now I do play the FF8 remaster for one reason. It's portable. I don't have to be on my TV or PC to play it. I can play it anywhere. Otherwise I would still be changing through 4 discs.

I miss the days when a game was made and it was left alone afterwards.

2 minutes ago, Alexander. said:

I have been a gamer for many years. Although, I'm not sure what this means "too little new ips". What is the specific definition of ips? My question sounds stupid and this is something I should know by now. Thank you. 

Don't feel stupid. I don't know what it means either, unless he's talking about Internet Service Provider. But he said IPS instead of ISP, so I'm probably way off.

On 10/7/2020 at 8:41 PM, Alexander. said:

I have been a gamer for many years. Although, I'm not sure what this means "too little new ips". What is the specific definition of ips? My question sounds stupid and this is something I should know by now. Thank you. 

On 10/7/2020 at 8:45 PM, The Blackangel said:

Don't feel stupid. I don't know what it means either, unless he's talking about Internet Service Provider. But he said IPS instead of ISP, so I'm probably way off.

IP stands for "Intellectual Property". It's something that can owned with all the relevant rights that isn't a tangible, physical thing, such as a character, a name, an idea or creative concept. For example, Lara Croft and Tomb Raider are intellectual properties. They're not a physical entity like a car, but somebody owns them and using them without permission is a crime in exactly the same way as if somebody took your car without permission.

Edited by Shagger

It's also to get people into the newer systems. But they should have made games compatible like they are doing for ps4 to ps5. But that usually is a trend when there is lack of new creativity or resources. The movie industry has been like that for a while. It's been changing though. Once everything is remastered or remade, they will be forced into their creativity again. It's a cycle. You would think out of any entertainment industry the gaming industry would be thriving due to the pandemic. They haven't pounced on the opportunity. Except for the new systems coming out. 

3 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

...You would think out of any entertainment industry the gaming industry would be thriving due to the pandemic. They haven't pounced on the opportunity. Except for the new systems coming out. 

I'm with you on everything else, but I have to disagree with you there.

For a start, the entertainment industry still have physical employees, so that's put those companies in the same situation as other industries, so they simply can't produce as efficiently as they normally would. That applies to the entertainment industry as a whole, but there  are more specific things as well.

The music industry struggles because whilst they can produce new material quickly even i these circumstances like this, artists still can't perform and tour, so there's less promotion, and they have to help their artist cope with the loss of revenue. Bands have even been inspired by this, check this out for example (This band actually did get stuck in a foreign country when recording this album because of lockdown, leaving them with more time to work on it than they had planned, and that's kind of how this song happened.);

The point is that whilst it's true these's noting to stop the musicians being inspired and creative through this, it's the practical aspects that cause problems. Stage and show business is struggling for the same reason. I feel properly sorry for people in the live entertainment world right now. 

The gaming industry struggles because whilst digital distribution is very popular and very accessible in times like this, even in the best circumstances developers simply can't capitalize on temporary, sudden evens quickly enough. Games just take too long to make. The new consoles have managed to remain on schedule, but not with struggle and not without cost.

The only part of the entertainment that could have made much better of this is the film industry. The main reason that they're struggling is because of that stubborn, archaic refusal to release new movies anywhere but in movie theatres. So few have taken the simple compromise to rent new films out digitally during this crisis and that's not only cost them revenue, but made them look stupid in the process.

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

The gaming industry struggles because whilst digital distribution is very popular and very accessible in times like this, even in the best circumstances developers simply can't capitalize on temporary, sudden evens quickly enough. Games just take too long to make. The new consoles have managed to remain on schedule, but not with struggle and not without cost.

We should be expecting hell of a lot from the gaming industry next year and years to come since the new systems are coming out and more people at home. Makes me excited for this new wave. That's if they don't stay stuck in remastering everything when the world needs them to make something new!!!

17 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

We should be expecting hell of a lot from the gaming industry next year and years to come since the new systems are coming out and more people at home. Makes me excited for this new wave. That's if they don't stay stuck in remastering everything when the world needs them to make something new!!!

How I long for the NES & SNES days.

22 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think a lot of games that came from 2000 to 2015 need to be remastered because the graphics used needs a change and also new stories need to be told as well for franchise to continue. 

I like that idea more than the recent games getting remasters already. It makes more sense to, as some of those games from that time-frame haven't gotten any re-releases or sequels, so a remaster would be great. But for something that just came out like 2 years ago, I don't see the point. 

21 hours ago, Alexander. said:

21 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

IPs mean intellectual properties, so like any new games coming out on the market, they would be considered new IPs. Sorry if I caused any confusion. I'm referring to new IPs being made rather than remasters of fairly newer games being made. Because to me, it seems they are pushing out too many remasters, but I think fans would like brand new games instead. 

On 10/8/2020 at 10:55 PM, Kane99 said:

I like that idea more than the recent games getting remasters already. It makes more sense to, as some of those games from that time-frame haven't gotten any re-releases or sequels, so a remaster would be great. But for something that just came out like 2 years ago, I don't see the point. 

Yes the thing is that a lot of studios go pretty slow on their releases. .. some top ones like square enix too takes a bit of time before they go through sequels or remasters. 

I agree with the OP. There's so many existing good games that could do with a remastered version. A lot of new games are pretty rubbish; why think of something new when there's ideas sitting there waiting to be used.                                        

On 10/7/2020 at 7:41 PM, skyfire said:

I think a lot of games that came from 2000 to 2015 need to be remastered because the graphics used needs a change and also new stories need to be told as well for franchise to continue. 

Seriously - I really feel the same way about those remasters especially if these companies go about it in a way that it presents something that's very unique.