Register Now
Alexander.

Do you like games with dark atmospheres?

I'd say hatred seems to have pretty good dark ambience if you like that type of game. Also "Little nightmare" and "Nightmare creatures also have good dark atmosphere.  And going for worst, I know tons of horror games with such scenario, take fatal frame for example. 

Hatred definitely has a dark atmosphere. It's part of why I love the game so much. Another good one is Layers Of Fear: Legacy. It has a Rose Red vibe to it. I'm always on the lookout for dark and dismal games.

As for being scary, none have ever bothered me. No nightmares, no being creeped out.

I love games with a dark atmosphere. I think the best horror game to pull off atmosphere is probably Silent Hill 2. The abandoned town, you cut off from the outside world. The town of Silent Hill is always scary, and the many creatures and enemies help sell that atmosphere even more. 

Layers of Fear is a good option as the atmosphere is what sells it. Otherwise I wouldn't include layers of fear because it's essentially a jump scare simulator. From what I played, there was really no way to die, so the scares didn't have as much weight behind them. 

I’d recommend Subnautica. It has a dark “atmosphere” because it takes place deep under sea. Also if you’re into 2D, I’d recommend Hollow Knight, Super Metroid, Mark of the Ninja, and Environmental Station Alpha. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet has a great dark retro sci-fi atmosphere. Some games though that I do not like,

I like a very specific style. Mostly investigative or psychological, where one has to figure out why the atmosphere is as dark and dreary as it is. For instance, Amnesia: The Dark Descent or Call of Cthulu (2019). However, I've also enjoyed games such as Blood with an action-based gothic setting, and World of Warcraft has had its moments with the undead and daemons.

On 10/7/2020 at 9:08 PM, Alexander. said:

As a gamer, are you a fan of video games that have dark atmospheres? Does it spook you or cause nightmares? If you enjoy this style of gaming, what are some of your favourite titles?

I don't think the dark atmosphere of some games that I played spooked me at all. It only makes the game hard to play because of poor visual output. 

Not the whole time. A game like Outlast where you need a flashlight, I thought really enhanced the fear factor. I really liked the game, but wish I could spend more time looking at the gruesome stuff, but I can't when I use up batteries. If I played on easy mode, I'd have more batteries at the sacrifice of the challenge. Maybe I took 'dark' too literal. lol

On 2/18/2021 at 4:29 AM, killamch89 said:

In some games, it makes the setting ideal. For instance, Dark Souls, the dark atmosphere fits the tone of the entire game very well. Resident Evil is another one I'd say benefits from the dark atmosphere.

Yeah, your analysis is spot on completely. The game nature goes a very long way in determining the best atmosphere which would suit it perfectly. 

On 8/11/2021 at 12:43 PM, Heatman said:

Yeah, your analysis is spot on completely. The game nature goes a very long way in determining the best atmosphere which would suit it perfectly. 

Can you imagine Mario Sunshine with a dark atmosphere? That'd be the most contradictory game ever...