Register Now
Kane99

Are games ever going to be so photorealistic they're confused with real life?

A lot of games these days are getting to the point where photorealism is close to the real thing. But, most games you can still tell they're games. But, what if we ever get to a point where video games are so photorealistic, that it causes people to believe it's real. I can't wait to play games that are photorealistic. But, then again, idk. It may be too uncanny to play something that looks so real. Especially if it involves combat, guns and stuff. Imagine horror games, my goodness that'd up the fear factor for sure. 

Video games have a control choice and player input element that other entertainment media's lack, but even so nobody sane would confuse real life with something they see through a screen and sense, as well as interact with, through a control interface. Movies and TV shows have been photorealistic for decades because they are literally filmed, and have not had that effect. The concerns you express are exactly what certain groups and governments want you to believe, so they can keep using entertainment media as a scapegoat. With all due respect, it's ridiculous to believe that games, no matter how real they look, have that much power to influence.

Edited by Shagger

47 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Video games have a control choice and player input element that other entertainment media's lack, but even so nobody sane would confuse real life with something they see through a screen and sense, as well as interact with, through a control interface. Movies and TV shows have been photorealistic for decades because they are literally filmed, and have not had that effect. The concerns you express are exactly what and certain groups and governments want you to believe, so they can keep using entertainment media as a scapegoat. With all due respect, it's ridiculous to believe that games, no matter how real they look, have that much power to influence.

That's a pretty good point with movies being photorealistic. Old Joe way out in no man's land surrounded by flat Earthers might see a youtube clip of aliens attacking the WH from a spaceship and think it's real. Or pop some shrooms and get into a top notch virtual reality of pirates floating down Hoover Dam going to rob Vegas town. And it will be copyrighted so crazy papa can't glue scenes into a campaign commercial showing mobsters and monsters trying to hop the WH fence. But, in kookoo land everything is possible. 

My cat thinks that other cats in games are real. If you can fool a cat, you can fool 95% of humans, especially the American ones. Hmmm, tonight should I go to Greece or Egypt? Forget about that plane ticket and the hotels, tourist traps; Im gonna pop in some Odyssey. Then check out Afghanistan in MGS. 

4 hours ago, Shagger said:

Video games have a control choice and player input element that other entertainment media's lack, but even so nobody sane would confuse real life with something they see through a screen and sense, as well as interact with, through a control interface. Movies and TV shows have been photorealistic for decades because they are literally filmed, and have not had that effect. The concerns you express are exactly what certain groups and governments want you to believe, so they can keep using entertainment media as a scapegoat. With all due respect, it's ridiculous to believe that games, no matter how real they look, have that much power to influence.

I don't think people will necessarily be influenced by the graphics, I just think at some point, it may confuse some people into seeing a game and thinking it might be real. Hell, games like RDR2 are already doing that with just images of the scenery and stuff. So imagine 10-20 years from now, when games are advanced to a point where things look nearly realistic. Sure most people will know it's fake, but I'm sure there will be some who confuse it as real. Look at that time a politician thought a GTA V video of a plane was real. It's fairly easy to fool people these days. 

20 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I doubt any gaming systems could ever obtain the strength and sheer power to run any kind game that looks fully real. To have a processor that could handle such a task is way beyond current gaming capabilities. And as already mentioned, RDR2 is right next to lifelike.

True, but we never thought we would get to this point in terms of graphics before. Devices are becoming more advanced every year, which means games will too. Of course, I don't know if we'll ever get to a point where a game looks as real, but I believe it could one day be possible. I'm speaking of the future though, because I don't see graphics getting to that point of realism for many years yet. If anything maybe 20 years from now. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I'm speaking of the future though, because I don't see graphics getting to that point of realism for many years yet. If anything maybe 20 years from now. 

Before that, cause just 25 years ago everyone had pagers. Now we are all walking internet satellites. Some scenes in games already look real. You can take a photo, put it on a post card and nobody would know the difference. Take a black and white of Bayek in AC Origins and say, "hey mommy, look, they still have ancient warriors by the pyramids!" And dumb mommy will believe it. 

15-20 years ago, you wouldn't believe game graphics would be as advanced as they are today, yet here we are. FIFA games are a perfect example to use. This is how the gameplay looked 20 years ago:

maxresdefault.jpg

This is how it looks now:

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

To answer your question, most likely. It will probably be much sooner than 20 years.

If you see some of the CRY engine and the Unreal engines demos and how they are being developed to push more realistic 3D Models. I think that day is coming closer and closer where we can see realistic 3D models which confuses us with real life figures. 

On 10/12/2020 at 6:09 PM, ARx182 said:

15-20 years ago, you wouldn't believe game graphics would be as advanced as they are today, yet here we are. FIFA games are a perfect example to use. This is how the gameplay looked 20 years ago:

maxresdefault.jpg

This is how it looks now:

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

To answer your question, most likely. It will probably be much sooner than 20 years.

No, FIFA is a fucking terrible example and the fact you think it is shows just how complacent the fanbase is.  First of all, THAT is a promotional screenshot literally straight from the XBox promotional website and it does not represent how the game looks at all.  Hell it doesn't even look very good if you ask me, the players look more like wax dummies.

In actual gameplay it looks even more dated with the same still character models on the sidelines repeating over and over.  Take a look at this random screenshot from the video below of the ACTUAL game:

image.thumb.png.db266198369565238b8f8c9aef1bcb47.png

The textures are terrible, the marshals are all standing in the same pose looking in seemingly random directions, almost everyone in the crowd looks the same, most of the dozen or so camera's are pointed nowhere near the action and it's been this way for years!

If you are looking from a sports game series that in my opinion showcases the improvements to textures, lighting, physics and so on better than FIFA... you can go with just about anything except for maybe Madden but I'll go for F1.

Either way, I just hope not. Photorealism would only take away the reason of playing a video game. It's supposed to be an escape, not a tryout for the KC Chiefs, or entry into the Indy 500. It's supposed to teleport us somewhere that the most advanced weapons are swords and bows. It just removes all enjoyment to me. If it's going to do that, then it may as well all be moved strictly to competitions. It's no longer enjoyment anyway. Because by that time, they won't be worried about making a good entertaining game. They'll only be worried about the graphics of the shit game they're about to release.

Photorealism will be the downfall of gaming.

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Either way, I just hope not. Photorealism would only take away the reason of playing a video game. It's supposed to be an escape, not a tryout for the KC Chiefs, or entry into the Indy 500. It's supposed to teleport us somewhere that the most advanced weapons are swords and bows. It just removes all enjoyment to me. If it's going to do that, then it may as well all be moved strictly to competitions. It's no longer enjoyment anyway. Because by that time, they won't be worried about making a good entertaining game. They'll only be worried about the graphics of the shit game they're about to release.

Photorealism will be the downfall of gaming.

That is a good point. They could spend more resources on realism and deprive the game of other substance. But if they can make it look real and do massive world building like in AC Odyssey then that would be pretty awesome. But there is a trend in photorealism and actually trying to make the game as real as possible like fixing your weapons, gear, and nurturing your horse along with having the scenery look real. I think that trend could take away from enjoyment. If it is strictly a survival game, then that would work. But yes, it is going to get hard to separate photorealism and physical realism where things become a chore. Soon characters will need a shit break. Leave some of those realities out please.