Register Now
Kane99

Are games ever going to be so photorealistic they're confused with real life?

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

With Ray-Tracing and 4K resolution, we're more or less there already. However, what I will say is that the technology needs to become cheap before it is the industry standard.

Imagine we getting there with the VR, we could be closer to the matrix type of stuff and it can be fun and escape route for many gamers. 

10 hours ago, skyfire said:

Imagine we getting there with the VR, we could be closer to the matrix type of stuff and it can be fun and escape route for many gamers. 

With the release of the RTX 3090, we're now seeing graphics cards capable of managing 8k gaming as well. So in a couple of years, we'll be able to experience that kind the true power of VR when 8k becomes more affordable. To be honest, the potential frightens me.

On 10/18/2020 at 6:38 AM, killamch89 said:

With the release of the RTX 3090, we're now seeing graphics cards capable of managing 8k gaming as well. So in a couple of years, we'll be able to experience that kind the true power of VR when 8k becomes more affordable. To be honest, the potential frightens me.

Yes imagine people plugging in to the VR based SIMS game that gives different relationship and life in the game .. I wish that sort of world comes before I die. I would love to live differnt life which I could not in virtual world. XD

10 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yes imagine people plugging in to the VR based SIMS game that gives different relationship and life in the game .. I wish that sort of world comes before I die. I would love to live differnt life which I could not in virtual world. XD

I think that would be cool. Even if it's not 100% realistic, I'd love to live in a vr world for a little while, just to see what it would be like. But, I do wonder how that would affect the mental health of someone, to live in a VR headset forever. 

It will mess you up in real life. Like say you have horrible family in real life. And you get better partner in VR, have kids in VR that makes up a good family and the moment you disconnect your mind will be in same chemical that demands addiction from the brain. Like say man on alochol or drugs. It would  be compared to that and honestly many people would live that fake life instead of living misery in real life. 

4 hours ago, skyfire said:

It will mess you up in real life. Like say you have horrible family in real life. And you get better partner in VR, have kids in VR that makes up a good family and the moment you disconnect your mind will be in same chemical that demands addiction from the brain. Like say man on alcohol or drugs. It would be compared to that and honestly many people would live that fake life instead of living misery in real life. 

You've got a damn good point. Then when you realize that it was all fake, it will fuck you up. I've had dreams where I met someone, fell in love, and spent my life married to them. Then when I woke up I realized it wasn't real and ended up with a broken heart. The same applies here.

8 hours ago, skyfire said:

It will mess you up in real life. Like say you have horrible family in real life. And you get better partner in VR, have kids in VR that makes up a good family and the moment you disconnect your mind will be in same chemical that demands addiction from the brain. Like say man on alochol or drugs. It would  be compared to that and honestly many people would live that fake life instead of living misery in real life. 

I could see realistic VR being used to cope with problems in life. The thing with VR, is that you can't connect with the people in it. You can speak and move around, but you can't touch or feel anything. I think for that reason, I wouldn't be able to take a VR world as serious. But, for those who want an escape from life, I can see it helping them a lot. But not being able to touch and feel your VR family will in turn probably make things worse imo. 

But, it's clear VR has some problems, but it also can be used for good. I suppose we'll see what comes of VR in the next 10-20 years or so. 

The thing I would be worried about with VR is a person developing Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). People can get so ingrained in a game through something like VR that they forget who they are and are unable to separate the video game world from the real world. They think they are the character they created in the game IRL. It could be like a Ready Player One meets Surrogates situation.

On 10/26/2020 at 1:15 AM, Kane99 said:

I could see realistic VR being used to cope with problems in life. The thing with VR, is that you can't connect with the people in it. You can speak and move around, but you can't touch or feel anything. I think for that reason, I wouldn't be able to take a VR world as serious. But, for those who want an escape from life, I can see it helping them a lot. But not being able to touch and feel your VR family will in turn probably make things worse imo. 

But, it's clear VR has some problems, but it also can be used for good. I suppose we'll see what comes of VR in the next 10-20 years or so. 

Current problems of VR are - no realistic graphics, no option to protect your mind in context of differentiation of objects in it with context to real life, eyes subjected to light source which consistntly cant take it much and also it has other technical issues. but they are issues of today, in 5 years from now on they wont be. 

Thing is if you have happy childhood, happy adulthood, you have literally nothing to gain from VR, not even gameplay wise because that would just irritate the hell out of your brain and eyes. But if there are some suffering people out there (people who are under trauma, who are burned out, who had lost people etc) in such case, it can be therapy for many. I know it could be therapy for me. 

4 hours ago, skyfire said:

Current problems of VR are - no realistic graphics, no option to protect your mind in context of differentiation of objects in it with context to real life, eyes subjected to light source which consistntly cant take it much and also it has other technical issues. but they are issues of today, in 5 years from now on they wont be. 

Thing is if you have happy childhood, happy adulthood, you have literally nothing to gain from VR, not even gameplay wise because that would just irritate the hell out of your brain and eyes. But if there are some suffering people out there (people who are under trauma, who are burned out, who had lost people etc) in such case, it can be therapy for many. I know it could be therapy for me. 

VR can also be for thrill seekers and not just for emotional desires. I tried a roller coaster game in VR and my senses perceived it as real, making me lose balance and I would have fallen if I didn't kneel down. And that was just using a headset with no mechanical simulation. That's how real it all seemed to me. I'm pretty sure the military and astronauts use virtual reality to learn how to operate machinery, so that photorealism and simulation is already here. 

I used to have a job at the mall operating a VR ride. How it worked was that you would pick a scenario that you wanted to "ride". There was an enclosed thing that you got inside, and would move and jerk in accordance with the video that played in front of you. A lot of people got motion sickness on it. To do it, I had to experience all of them. There were roller coasters, race car rides, boat rides, outer space rides, and several others. It was 20 years ago, and my memory is shit, so there's no way I could remember all of them. If I do remember though, it was actual footage that was played inside the machine to try to make the ride as realistic as possible.

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I used to have a job at the mall operating a VR ride. How it worked was that you would pick a scenario that you wanted to "ride". There was an enclosed thing that you got inside, and would move and jerk in accordance with the video that played in front of you. A lot of people got motion sickness on it. To do it, I had to experience all of them. There were roller coasters, race car rides, boat rides, outer space rides, and several others. It was 20 years ago, and my memory is shit, so there's no way I could remember all of them. If I do remember though, it was actual footage that was played inside the machine to try to make the ride as realistic as possible.

That's another ball game to use actual footage and shape it into a game. Imagine soldiers wearing body cams in real time battles and putting that in a game. Whoah. Or actual murder scenes, morgues, operations in hospitals, or animals slaughtered. Ever watched the movie Faces of Death? Sick stuff. 

On 10/27/2020 at 5:58 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

VR can also be for thrill seekers and not just for emotional desires. I tried a roller coaster game in VR and my senses perceived it as real, making me lose balance and I would have fallen if I didn't kneel down. And that was just using a headset with no mechanical simulation. That's how real it all seemed to me. I'm pretty sure the military and astronauts use virtual reality to learn how to operate machinery, so that photorealism and simulation is already here. 

Simulation based VR is in work for years. For example many asian nations use VR for the driving test if one fails at VR, they don't conduct the real life tests. This has been going on for years. The point about realism is coming into play when we talk about life changing games like second life, sims like stuff that is designed to give relief or sense of relaxation using VR.