Register Now
Kane99

Are games ever going to be so photorealistic they're confused with real life?

22 hours ago, Patrik said:

They are already, once my mom saw me watching a GTA V gameplay (vanilla game, no mods at all), and she thought that was actually a movie lol, for no gaming people, it's pretty hard to spot the difference instantly

Absolutely. I was playing Mass Effect: Andromeda once, and my mother happened to stop by. She's not a gamer at all, and she was like, "Wow, these graphics are amazing!" And I was like, "Really? Because people actually complained about them when this game was first released lol."

They probably will and the thing that worries me the most is that I will enjoy games more than real life (Like I do enjoy games but not to the extent I don't want to leave my room or such). So yeah I hope they will take some measures not to turn me into a sheep.

On 2/11/2021 at 6:28 PM, staticradio725 said:

Absolutely. I was playing Mass Effect: Andromeda once, and my mother happened to stop by. She's not a gamer at all, and she was like, "Wow, these graphics are amazing!" And I was like, "Really? Because people actually complained about them when this game was first released lol."

Seriously when the graphics gets so real, it's definitely hard to deny how good it looks. Look at how good Cyberpunk 2077 looks. 

On 8/11/2021 at 4:37 PM, Heatman said:

Well, the fact that they are getting better with graphics upgrades means that they are trying as much as possible to make it look like reality but it's never going to be 100% replication. 

Maybe they could. If they had actual actors that had all their movements saved for the game, you could have real life faces and body and you control them in the game. And they could have actual clips of nature that they record over an extended time and somehow incorporate that into the game. 

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Maybe they could. If they had actual actors that had all their movements saved for the game, you could have real life faces and body and you control them in the game. And they could have actual clips of nature that they record over an extended time and somehow incorporate that into the game. 

I would definitely like to see that happen with their production. If it can be achieved, it's definitely going to be an awesome experience. 

3 hours ago, Family sedan said:

My mom saw me using race manager mode in GT4 and she thought I was watching real auto racing.  This was back in 2005.

Haha, it was because of how good and improved that graphics was with the game back then. 

On 10/12/2020 at 6:09 PM, ARx182 said:

15-20 years ago, you wouldn't believe game graphics would be as advanced as they are today, yet here we are. FIFA games are a perfect example to use. This is how the gameplay looked 20 years ago:

maxresdefault.jpg

This is how it looks now:

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

To answer your question, most likely. It will probably be much sooner than 20 years.

The truth of this is that it's a work on progress and with what we are seeing today in graphics improvements, it would be that long and at least 98% real life reality is achieved in games. 

On 10/16/2020 at 5:26 PM, skyfire said:

Final goal is VR with the realism of the game in the head. So this way people will be spending the future time playing games and doing stuff in some world. 

Yeah, currently VR is the best of what's closest to reality that we can be offered now by game companies.