Register Now
Kane99

How fast you think storage will be eaten up by new gen consoles?

Lets face it, a 1TB HD is not going to cut it for most people. I believe both the PS5 and Xbox Series X will come with a 1TB hard drive. That of course will not last very long, especially with games getting bigger in size with each new release. Just imagine what the next COD is going to run ya, if the current one stands at over 200GBs, then just wait and see what it'll be on new gen consoles. It's gon take up a lot of storage. 

Anyway, they are making attempts to add more storage, which is nice, but why isn't it that they just add more storage to the consoles? Why not just go 2TBs? I mean, this will solve a lot of those problems. Yeah it'd be eaten up fast, but it's at least enough to get some games on there. And the new consoles should download and install games a lot faster, so there's that too. 

What do you guys think? We're going to eventually get new released that will come with bigger hard drives, so why not start big from the get-go? 

It's marketing. Start small, then offer more later for people that want to sell their current used model and buy the new one. In a way, it motivates you to finish games faster to make space so you can buy even more games. Plus the new models go through an experimental stage, work out the bugs, then come out with a newer series with more gb. Or simply offer large tb from the start at a more expensive price. If someone is looking to buy the system and sees the price for the higher gb, they can get turned away from buying any new system. Start small, get more sales. Offer more later, get even more sales. Add extensions onto games for even more game sales. Try this organic jar of pickles. Now come back for the bigger jar with garlic. You like that? Now try it with less salt. Throw some pepper in the next one. 

I think soon you may find the SSD that surpass 2TB for PC storage. So I think we just have to wait for that support considering new games are incremental with the DLC size and some are increasing like 40 GB or so after install. I think new PC too would need higher capacity. 

11 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think soon you may find the SSD that surpass 2TB for PC storage. So I think we just have to wait for that support considering new games are incremental with the DLC size and some are increasing like 40 GB or so after install. I think new PC too would need higher capacity. 

That's inevitable. Just the only concern I have there is the pricing, because I hear it's going to be pretty pricey. But, here's hoping they eventually lower in price, because SSDs are becoming the norm these days. 

1Tb is nowhere near enough.  I understand that they are fast SSD's that are very expensive so they had to make them smaller to cost the cost of the consoles down. That being said even handfull of current gen backwards compatible game plus 2 or 3 new ones and the standard drives will be filled immediatly.

Just for context, this is how my laptop looks after almost a year with mix of older games, smaller indie style games with a few bigger, newer games in there as well along with other files;

storage.PNG.d7bbbfa4339cf7e59ab578c4e74460e0.PNG

Yeah, given the likely installation sizes of next gen games, I'd be upgrading storage sooner rather than later.

I have a 512g Micro SD card in my Switch and this is what my storage is looking like. I'm looking to get a 1t or a 2t card to put in it, but that costs more than I can afford at the moment. I also have literally 75 games on it that are DDL's. That's not including the games I play on it that are carts. So I'm going to need a bigger card eventually.

EkitD8qVgAAvzER.jpg

Yeah, storage is going to be messy. But, if I really need to, I'll delete the games I don't play. I figure with how fast new consoles are supposed to be with downloads, maybe it won't be a big deal to just re-download stuff when you want to play it. I hope at least. 

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah, storage is going to be messy. But, if I really need to, I'll delete the games I don't play. I figure with how fast new consoles are supposed to be with downloads, maybe it won't be a big deal to just re-download stuff when you want to play it. I hope at least. 

It depends on your internet speeds more than anything but most games should be fully downloaded within 12 hours except for games like Call Of Duty which takes up 200+ GB.

11 hours ago, skyfire said:

2TB is needed if you are playing a lot of franchise like say even the AC and few other franchise games. 

Oh for sure, games like Assassin's creed are going to hog those drives. Just the next COD alone is going to eat into nearly half of the storage of the new gen consoles. Or so I imagine at the rate they're going. 2TB isn't going to be enough for most hardcore gamers out there.