Register Now
Kane99

Best horror games ever

Since Halloween is fast approaching, I figured we could start a topic to discuss some of the best horror games around. From the past to the present, what do you consider to be the best horror games out there? Personally for me, Silent Hill 2 is a big front runner, but I know games like Resident Evil 4, Amnesia, System Shock, Eternal Darkness, the first 2 Dead Space games, and so on. 

But, what should be regarded as the best of all time? What do you guys think?

On 10/11/2020 at 5:05 AM, skyfire said:

I think there are many threads where we discussed this already. I can't count the list of good horror games. But some I can think of on the top of my head. 

Home sweet home:

Pamali :

I didn't see any previous topics, and I made sure to search just in case. I didn't notice any with any similar titles to this one either. This topic differs in that it's about what we consider to be the "Best" in the genre, so this would likely fall in line with like a top 10 list of the best horror games. Essentially what is the best horror game ever? Disregarding favorites and going by popularity, review scores, and overall standing. Which horror game should be called the best of the best? 

I can see most people saying something like RE2, RE4, Silent Hill 2, and a few others. I really think Resident Evil 4 might be regarded as the best, but I don't know. It's tough to say which should be the best, because there are so many great horror games that came out. 

13 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I would have to say RE7. I'm not close to finishing it, so can't say if it's the best. But so far it is up there and has good reviews. I beat RE2 remake and played RE4. So as far as horror games that are both scary to me personally and has the popular reviews, RE7 is one of the top. 

I think RE7 can be considered a contender for the best ever, mainly because it reinvigorated a dying franchise. RE6 wasn't well received by critics or fans, and RE7 blew away people's expectations. Now Capcom is doing their remasters and bringing classic RE games back to the new generation and fans too. 

Anyway, RE7 is up there for sure. 

I’m more into things like Layers Of Fear: Legacy for horror games. I like exploration with fear around every corner instead of a monster trying to kill me in a creepy setting all the time. Things like Evil Within are just too overdone for me to enjoy. They rely too much on the stereotype of mutant killers out of nowhere. A disembodied scream that you can’t pinpoint where it’s coming from is a lot more freaky.

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I’m more into things like Layers Of Fear: Legacy for horror games. I like exploration with fear around every corner instead of a monster trying to kill me in a creepy setting all the time. Things like Evil Within are just too overdone for me to enjoy. They rely too much on the stereotype of mutant killers out of nowhere. A disembodied scream that you can’t pinpoint where it’s coming from is a lot more freaky.

I've wanted to play that game. I will make that next on my list in horror. Can't remember exactly what stopped me from getting it. It was too expensive as a rare game or something like that. I love exploration with fear around every corner too. I'm talking scenes of slaughter and pushing your way through a room with bloody hanging half bodies. Find a head roll as a door hits it when you open it. And amplify that rolling sound like a bowling ball. So dense of a blood clotted head. 

But anyways, would a rare game like that count which doesn't have the popularity and high reviews? 

On 10/13/2020 at 3:35 AM, Kane99 said:

I can see most people saying something like RE2, RE4, Silent Hill 2, and a few others. I really think Resident Evil 4 might be regarded as the best, but I don't know. It's tough to say which should be the best, because there are so many great horror games that came out. 

I think there are literally too many titles out there but resident evil and silent hill getting more mainstream treatment makes people forget about other games. 

11 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

This is downloading on my Switch right now as I'm posting this.
$29.99 USD

I saw some gameplay of it, and it looks scary good. The gameplay I saw was alpha and looked weird, but hopefully they fixed that before release. Anyway, it kind of reminds me of a mix of RE7 with The Evil Within. I might have to get it for a Halloween stream one of these nights. 😄 

It's available across all 4 top platforms. PC, Xbox One, PS4, and Nintendo Switch. I came across it when I was looking through the eShop. I watched the trailer, added funds to my account, and bought it. Whether there's going to be a PS5 or Xbox X release, I can't say. But since there's reverse compatibility there shouldn't be any issues. However if they do rerelease it on either system for the new gen there would most likely be a lot of new features added. We'll just have to wait and see.