Register Now
killamch89

AMD is slaughtering Intel at this point!

AMD discussed their latest Zen 3 processors and they just made Intel irrelevant. The performance stats are just insane! Not only is the king of productivity. Now they'll also be the king of gaming as well. What do you make of this? Do you really think Intel can make a comeback?

Intel had the run of the market a few years ago and that made them complacent, just selling pretty much the same lineup of quad core i5's and i7's year after year.  If you wanted more than 4 cores and 8 threads you had to spen $600 - $1000 on the enthusioast chips.  But then AMD launched Ryzen which made 6C/12T and 8C/16T chips afordable and Intel were complety caught with their pants down, they had no answer for it and you could argue they still don't.

On 10/12/2020 at 10:52 PM, ARx182 said:

I don't use Intel products, only AMD, although I don't really know the difference between either. Still, let's go AMD! 😁

For gaming you may find AMD better and for virtualization, I have found Intel CPUs doing better considering they don't get heated up likeAMD does when youo run virtualization on the laptop or desktop.

On 10/12/2020 at 12:38 PM, Crazycrab said:

Intel had the run of the market a few years ago and that made them complacent, just selling pretty much the same lineup of quad core i5's and i7's year after year.  If you wanted more than 4 cores and 8 threads you had to spen $600 - $1000 on the enthusioast chips.  But then AMD launched Ryzen which made 6C/12T and 8C/16T chips afordable and Intel were complety caught with their pants down, they had no answer for it and you could argue they still don't.

They'll also be stuck on the 14nm architecture for a few more years at least while Ryzen will move to the 5nm architecture next year so AMD processors will become even more powerful and efficient. I'd like Intel to provide some competition though as it'll keep prices low and accelerate the progress of cpu technology.

2 hours ago, skyfire said:

For gaming you may find AMD better and for virtualization, I have found Intel CPUs doing better considering they don't get heated up likeAMD does when youo run virtualization on the laptop or desktop.

I'd have to disagree. I have Intel 9000 series gaming laptop and it gets ridiculously hot to the point of throttling even with a cooling pad. At this point, I'm looking to sell it when the next set of Ryzen laptops launch.

On 10/16/2020 at 11:05 PM, killamch89 said:

I'd have to disagree. I have Intel 9000 series gaming laptop and it gets ridiculously hot to the point of throttling even with a cooling pad. At this point, I'm looking to sell it when the next set of Ryzen laptops launch.

Possibly for the gaming it may get that heated bbut for virtulization I think Intel is pretty good and strong too. 

28 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

At this point, they've also started to bring the heat to Nvidia in the GPU space as well and AMD is really crushing it this year.

With the 6000 series AMD are for the first time in years looking seriously competitive against Nvidia, especially considering how hard it is to find GeForce GTX 3000 cards at a decent price right now:

04yFU8b8q1g4DoWnuSwO4oM-2.png

04yFU8b8q1g4DoWnuSwO4oM-3.png

04yFU8b8q1g4DoWnuSwO4oM-4.png

04yFU8b8q1g4DoWnuSwO4oM-7.png

Keep in mind that these are AMD's test results hence should be taken with a grain of salt but holy shit!  I think a lot of PC gamers that couldn't get a 3000 series are seeing red right now... for more reasons than one!  Even at the now impossible to get retail price the RX 6900 XT is £500 cheaper than the 3090.

34 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

With the 6000 series AMD are for the first time in years looking seriously competitive against Nvidia, especially considering how hard it is to find GeForce GTX 3000 cards at a decent price right now:

04yFU8b8q1g4DoWnuSwO4oM-2.png

04yFU8b8q1g4DoWnuSwO4oM-3.png

04yFU8b8q1g4DoWnuSwO4oM-4.png

04yFU8b8q1g4DoWnuSwO4oM-7.png

Keep in mind that these are AMD's test results hence should be taken with a grain of salt but holy shit!  I think a lot of PC gamers that couldn't get a 3000 series are seeing red right now... for more reasons than one!  Even at the now impossible to get retail price the RX 6900 XT is £500 cheaper than the 3090.

Not only that but AMD will easily win if they have a reasonable amount of stock...

On 11/4/2020 at 1:12 AM, AndreiMirfi said:

So proud of this actually!

The thing is, I don't necessarily want Intel to be irrelevant just yet. The competition between both companies is what is driving the innovation in both the cpu and gpu market. That competition is what benefits us the consumers especially in terms of cost. Havong said that, I hope someone else takes Intel's place as AMD's competitor because I have grown to despise Intel. If it wasn't for AMD, we'd still be paying for overpriced quad-core CPUs on the 14nm process.