Register Now
StaceyPowers

Is there a game you keep discovering deeper layers of meaning in?

For example, I finished my first playthrough of Spec Ops: The Line a few months ago, but as recently as last week, I realized whole new layers of meaning in how the game dealt with matters like cognitive dissonance, unconscious behavioural scripts, and limits to perceived choices. Even though it’s been a while since I finished this game, it just keeps amazing me.

Hatred. I relate more and more with The Antagonist every day. I feel his rage. I feel his hate. I feel his loss of tolerance for the disease that is homo sapien.

It’s just luck that I can go on a killing spree with this game, so I don’t do it in real life.

Violent games can save lives people.

On 10/11/2020 at 7:42 PM, StaceyPowers said:

For example, I finished my first playthrough of Spec Ops: The Line a few months ago, but as recently as last week, I realized whole new layers of meaning in how the game dealt with matters like cognitive dissonance, unconscious behavioural scripts, and limits to perceived choices. Even though it’s been a while since I finished this game, it just keeps amazing me.

Yeah, that's the brilliance of Spec Ops: The Line. It's meant to be about the horrors of war and how it can effect people's minds. It's one of my favorite games, because it shows war as extremely awful. 

Anyway, as for other games, there are a lot of games that try to hide meaning into their games. Sometimes it's over-looked by fans, or completely missed. 

I think Silent Hill 2 (spoilers ahead) has a lot of symbolism and hidden meaning. The whole point of the game is that James is kind of an awful person. He fantasized about other women as his wife was dying in a hospital bed, but he was also responsible for ending her life sooner. I heard Pyramid head is a symbol of James. 

No matter how realistic a war game is, it will not capture what war is actually like. When you're on the front lines in the game, you're not shitting yourself like a hell of a lot of soldiers are IRL. My time in the USMC was the worst time of my life. I wish I could go back in time and tell my 17 year old self to NOT ENLIST. I regret it so much that I still have flashbacks and waking nightmares.

To anyone considering enlistment in the US military, DON'T DO IT! If you're hell bent on enlisting then for your own mental and physical well being DO NOT EVEN COME CLOSE TO CONSIDERING THE MARINES.

The corps are pussies anyway. They let the Army go in to fight and die, then they take all the credit.

6 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

No matter how realistic a war game is, it will not capture what war is actually like. When you're on the front lines in the game, you're not shitting yourself like a hell of a lot of soldiers are IRL. My time in the USMC was the worst time of my life. I wish I could go back in time and tell my 17 year old self to NOT ENLIST. I regret it so much that I still have flashbacks and waking nightmares.

To anyone considering enlistment in the US military, DON'T DO IT! If you're hell bent on enlisting then for your own mental and physical well being DO NOT EVEN COME CLOSE TO CONSIDERING THE MARINES.

The corps are pussies anyway. They let the Army go in to fight and die, then they take all the credit.

I completely disagree to not enlist. Who do you think benefits? There is a certain group of people I'm sure you are aware of that would love to bleach the military. 

I'm just going by my own experiences. My time was traumatizing. It's why I say to not enlist, and if you are going to regardless of my opinion, to not ever consider the marines. They intentionally break not only your spirit, but your body and mind also. You will be fucked up for life after coming out. I know I am. There's not much more to say than that.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

Oh for sure, it doesn't come close to actual war. But I'm glad to see more games show the horrors of war and go into more detail about the impact of war and why it's so bad, because it can be used to push people away from it even. 

Compare that to something like Call of Duty today, where they're mostly all about action and less on story, and about making you feel like a bad ass. Those games don't usually have meaning. All the publishers want is action and fireworks. 

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

I'm just going by my own experiences. My time was traumatizing. It's why I say to not enlist, and if you are going to regardless of my opinion, to not ever consider the marines. They intentionally break not only your spirit, but your body and mind also. You will be fucked up for life after coming out. I know I am. There's not much more to say than that.

I'm sorry to hear that. I would never be able to handle any form of military myself. I could maybe handle something like the National Guard, but I'd die if I tried out for the Marines. 

On 10/21/2020 at 8:50 AM, The Blackangel said:

Total understandable because you signed a contract upon entering the marines. I used to work as Customs Officer so I'm aware something like this exist. I still have a bit of PTSD from my time working there and I never necessarily went to war.

If I was ever in the army or any tyrannical organization, I'm sure it would've ended with someone dying and it wouldn't have been the enemy. Injustice, nonsense and me are not compatible. I narrowly avoided being conscripted. I was borderline on the psychological aptitude test. They said I have a hightened sense of justice and unusually high intelligence. Like those are bad things. Well they are for the army. They want obedient little soldiers who don't think about orders just do them.

Anyhow, to be on topic. The only game that still can surprise me is DeusEx, even after 20 years, it has secrets and conspiracy theory references I had not uncovered yet.

Edited by m76

1 hour ago, m76 said:

If I was ever in the army or any tyrannical organization, I'm sure it would've ended with someone dying and it wouldn't have been the enemy. Injustice, nonsense and me are not compatible. I narrowly avoided being conscripted. I was borderline on the psychological aptitude test. They said I have a hightened sense of justice and unusually high intelligence. Like those are bad things. Well they are for the army. They want obedient little soldiers who don't think about orders just do them.

Anyhow, to be on topic. The only game that still can surprise me is DeusEx, even after 20 years, it has secrets and conspiracy theory references I had not uncovered yet.

Deus EX Human Revolution has one of the best conspiracies I've ever encountered in a video game. When I completed the story, I was legitimately amazed at what the whole plot was. The thing that draws you into the experience is how much the plot mirrors real life. I mean, prejudice and racism is something a good number of us encounter every day.

10 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Deus EX Human Revolution has one of the best conspiracies I've ever encountered in a video game. When I completed the story, I was legitimately amazed at what the whole plot was. The thing that draws you into the experience is how much the plot mirrors real life. I mean, prejudice and racism is something a good number of us encounter every day.

The purity first trailer is still the best cinematic trailer ever made for a videogame.

I haven't put enough hours into the game, just started but what has come to mine was Phasmophobia, there is a very deep background story for each ghost that you do and not to mention it at times you may miss something or not aware of it. 

Has anyone else played the game and also had the same experience? 

14 hours ago, Empire said:

I haven't put enough hours into the game, just started but what has come to mine was Phasmophobia, there is a very deep background story for each ghost that you do and not to mention it at times you may miss something or not aware of it. 

Has anyone else played the game and also had the same experience? 

I'm planning to get that game but I also have my eyes on the new watch dogs and Cyberpunk 2077 which is scheduled to be released next month along with a few other games but I can't wait to play it. It's such a spooky game.

On 10/12/2020 at 12:42 AM, StaceyPowers said:

I actually read those meanings into the game Spec Ops : The Line and you even didn't add PTSD issues with soldiers lives.