Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you get bored of doing the same things over and over in games?

Recently I read a philosopher saying that if we lived forever, we’d get sick of even the things we love and inevitably want to go away. Underlying assumptions of his argument aside, it did make me think about repetitious experiences in gaming, particularly with respect to open world games I’ve been playing for years. I do sometimes bore of doing the same quests over and over, but I don’t find I ever tire of another sunrise or sunset in Skyrim, or just spending time with places and characters I care about. What about you?

Wouldn't bore me as long as I have places left to explore. But once I've seen it all, I would need a story or objective to keep me in. So I just take my time in open worlds. I try not to get too leveled up beyond the main story and just enjoy it. 1st person shooters and military games gets repetitive for me. It needs a variety of cool environments, or hasta la vista. 

Sometimes, yes I do. That’s when I put the game up for a long while because it means I’ve burned out on it. When I get the urge to play again, then I do. Some of my games have been sitting for years because I burned out on them so bad. It’s part of the reason why I hate tetris so much. Nothing changes. It’s the exact same thing in the exact same screen over and over and over.

I've gotten bored of games because they are the same thing over and over again, and repetitiveness becomes boring. Most games are like this to be honest, for example: Fall Guys, it's the same concept over and over again.

Oh for sure. I have this feeling often with a few games. The big game that comes to mind is Grand Theft Auto. I used to play it like crazy back when I was younger, but these days I can't be bothered with it much anymore. I blame it on the fact that each GTA before it, I would stay up for long hours into the night, doing the same thing over and over. Eventually we're going to tire of it. 

It's just like when I complete a game's story, I usually don't play it for much longer. Which is why replayability is key in gaming, because if you can't keep them coming back, what's the point right? 

16 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I blame it on the fact that each GTA before it, I would stay up for long hours into the night, doing the same thing over and over. Eventually we're going to tire of it. 

I disagree. GTA V was released 7 years ago, and although there have been updates, it's still the same game and you can only play the same game so much over 7 years. They really need to work on GTA VI.

Repetitive games tasks are not worth it no matter how good the game looks. It gets boring repeatedly doing the same thing over and over again. Unless, I don't have another game to play would be why I'd play such repetitive games. 

I too have this problem, I have many games including half-life, bastion, monster hunter world, 100+ others, and I still have yet to spend 2 hours or even install any of em. I keep telling myself to just not buy any more games, then a game goes on sale for a great price... and I cave in.

23 hours ago, Empire said:

I too have this problem, I have many games including half-life, bastion, monster hunter world, 100+ others, and I still have yet to spend 2 hours or even install any of em. I keep telling myself to just not buy any more games, then a game goes on sale for a great price... and I cave in.

Seriously, it's what happens all the time especially when I have the money 💵 to spare for the game. I simply can't turn a blind eye. 

21 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

If am.stuck in a particular mission repeating myself, I simply grow frustrated at it which makes it boring. 

This is even different when it comes to repeating at a task. At least, it's as a result of not having completed the stage. But in a situation after passing a stage, and get to the next stage but only to repeat what you did in the previous stage.