Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games without clear objectives/goals

Depends, because for one, I like to be told how the game works and what I need to do to get things moving. But of course, I like mystery and like to learn some games on my own. But, I don't want to get stuck running around a big map trying to figure out what to do next, it doesn't really work out so well. 

I could see it working if the objectives were, for example, on a sheet of paper you have to look at in game or something. At least that won't take you out of the game like seeing an objective marker on your map or in your sights. 

I like games that give you enough details to know what you're doing.

On 10/12/2020 at 2:51 AM, The Blackangel said:

Occasionally. Sometimes it’s a breath of fresh air to play something with no real objective. If you’re getting burned out on having to go for a goal all the time, but still want to be gaming, then you need this.

Well said. Gaming can be stressful, especially if you are trying to achieve an objective. Removing the objective makes your experience casual and possibly even more enjoyable. It's like a weight taken off your shoulder.

I think it really depends on the context. Generally, I like games without clear objectives / goals. I like to explore. I don't derive a lot of enjoyment out of being ordered around. Go to this waypoint, kill these enemies, lather, rinse, repeat.

On the other hand, I only like exploring when I'm not penalized for doing so. If I'm in a situation where I'm being repeatedly killed by some threat and the game isn't telling me what I need to do to solve that situation, you bet I'm going to be frustrated.

Yes. I play a lot of games with no goal in mind. Amnesia is more about the atmosphere and getting immersed, and Minecraft was didn't really have a goal other than to build things. If a game could successfully create as much immersion as both of those, then I would play it even though I heavily value story in games. Several people have brought up Oblivion, which has a clear goal but does not force you to follow it. The success of Minecraft is likely to be a good indicator of the viability of such games as the entire premise is to give you a wide open world in which to do whatever you like.

I honestly hadn't thought of simulation games when I first saw the title of the thread, but you're totally right. I have way too many hours dumped into Sims 4 and Prison Architect than I'm willing to admit to. Neither of those games really have a clear win condition, you just always strive to grow and expand.

I find those types of games to be really good for unwinding at the end of a long day, when you just want to do something chill and mindless (and you're like me and you're not really into TV or movies). I used to just boot up Prison Architect on Steam and just kind of watch my tiny prisoners going about their business. Like watching a fish tank. A murdery, gang-infested fish tank.

No Man's Sky is the perfect example of a game that does the whole no objectives thing horribly. Just wondering around aimlessly exploring different planets without an objective gets boring after a while. That's why I was never interested in it.

On 10/20/2020 at 11:21 AM, skyfire said:

Open world games struggle in such context where considering they are open and unless they follow the story trail but the case is that goals. Playing games without goals can be frustrating too. 

Yeah, it's actually why they are called open world games which means that you get to decide what objectives and goals are for you, then do as you wish.