Register Now
Kane99

Could Bethesda close because of being bought out?

We all know Microsoft bought up Bethesda recently for quite a bit. When it happened, I was kind of psyched about it, but looking at it now, I am somewhat worried. I know Bethesda is in good standing, and has many games planned, but could MS at some point decide to shut them down like other studios? The big reason I don't think that will happen, is because of how big Bethesda is. But, don't count out Microsoft, because they could easily close a studio down whenever they please. But I hope they don't do that with Bethesda or any other studio they own for that matter, because right now, MS needs the games. 

2 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I don't think Microsoft spent all those billions just to lock the doors.  Where would the sense in that be?

54 minutes ago, ARx182 said:

Like @Crazycrab has said, it would make no sense for Microsoft to buy a company for billions and then close it, unless they really felt like wasting money lol. 

True. I'm not saying right away though, maybe sometime down the line. Microsoft has closed many studios before, of course none as big as Bethesda, but we don't know how things will be in the next few years. Anything could happen. 

On 10/13/2020 at 4:40 PM, m76 said:

Close? What would be the benefit of that?

But some restructuring might happen, perhaps shift of focus even.

Exactly but close Bethesda? That'd be stupid as they have the Elder Scrolls, Doom and Fallout Series - there of the most accomplished series of games in the gaming industry. In my opinion, Microsoft is sitting on a potential goldmine and depending on how they tap into it, it could cement Microsoft's place in the gaming world.

Currently Microsoft are still working on retaining the games that Bethesda had in development and I am quite certain that they did this because the wanted more exclusives for the Xbox. Bethesda game starfield is even proposed to be released in 2023 as an Xbox exclusive and I believe more would be coming out too.

I bet they lose the companies money but some idiot manager doesn't want to look incompetent so they dig their heels in and claim it's really well liked by gamers.

I personally get a blind spot for games not on Steam, like I'm reminded that EA have new games I was interested in when loading up Battlefield 1. Valve took the risks with Steam and got laughed at. Other companies don't even have the basic decency to produce a fully functioning competitor yet still expect us to opt for their subpar experience?

On 6/7/2022 at 3:42 AM, Clasher said:

Currently Microsoft are still working on retaining the games that Bethesda had in development and I am quite certain that they did this because the wanted more exclusives for the Xbox. Bethesda game starfield is even proposed to be released in 2023 as an Xbox exclusive and I believe more would be coming out too.

Yeah a lot of the games will be exclusive. But the ones that were announced as multiplatform, I hear will still be releasing for other consoles still. But any future made games look to only be releasing on Xbox and PC. 

Yeah I think Starfield is staying an Xbox/PC exclusive. Wasn't it announced for PlayStation too? 

I'm locking this thread because I don't see the point in it now that Microsoft's purchase of Bethesda has long been a done deal. There are at least two other threads on the subject of Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda already and we didn't need all of them from the start. Not to mention that happened almost two years ago, so bringing these threads back just feels like bumping. I'll leave open what was, as far as I can tell, the very first thread of this subject posted on VGR (find that thread here) and lock this thread and the other one I found. 

I also found this thread that should answer a lot of the questions surrounding Bethesda game's exclusivity to the Xbox brand. There is no need to keep dancing around the same questions over and over when the answers are right there.

Edited by Shagger