Register Now
Kane99

Could I use an old laptop screen as a 3rd monitor?

Is it possible to convert an old laptop's screen into a 3rd screen? I'd like to have a 3rd screen added to my current setup, but I want to make sure it's light enough to mount above my current monitors, plus my wall sucks, so I don't want anything too heavy. I figure an older laptop screen would be possible, the only issue, is that I'd have to figure out how to mount it and wire it, and idk If I'm capable of doing all that. Do you guys know of any how-tos I can check out? I believe I mentioned a while ago, that I wanted to put up an HDTV, but I don't know if I have the space for that. So a smaller 3rd monitor would be pretty dope imo. 

A laptop screen isn't connected to the components of the laptop itself the same way a PC monitor is. There isn't a physical conversion interface, like HDMI. It's all connected, converted and processed directly through the machines internal circuitry, even an expert would barely know where to begin, not to mention you'll likely damage the laptop screen in the process anyway. If all you want is a 3rd screen to show windows, a discord tab or whatever non-gaming related task, a small, cheap monitor or cheap LCD TV would suffice. It wouldn't be very expensive and would be light enough to fit any wall if you wanted.

46 minutes ago, Shagger said:

A laptop screen isn't connected to the components of the laptop itself the same way a PC monitor is. There isn't a physical conversion interface, like HDMI. It's all connected, converted and processed directly through the machines internal circuitry, even an expert would barely know where to begin, not to mention you'll likely damage the laptop screen in the process anyway. If all you want is a 3rd screen to show windows, a discord tab or whatever non-gaming related task, a small, cheap monitor or cheap LCD TV would suffice. It wouldn't be very expensive and would be light enough to fit any wall if you wanted.

Well technically there is, but it's an internal cable like this:

DSC0308.1.600.jpg

I got a little curious myself and looked into to it and the only way I can see how this might be possible is to use something called a Controller Board driver Kit:

HTB1NdyGVq6qK1RjSZFmq6x0PFXar.jpg

But even if we were to assume that this would work (and I REALLY don't know if it would) you would have to attach this exposed board either the wall behind or to the back of one of the other monitors, it's just not practical.  There are much easier ways to configure a regular monitor in this way with frames and mounts.

61XY9vSN3ML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Crazycrab

3 hours ago, Shagger said:

Well said! In addition to that, I can recommend a few because I've researched this kind of stuff myself since I'm going into 3-d animation. I already do whiteboard/2-d animations but 3-d animation was always my goal.

On 10/16/2020 at 7:16 PM, Shagger said:

I'm thinking of going that route actually. It's way too technical for me to make a monitor out of a laptop. But, I have seen videos on YouTube of people doing it. I think you just need to use some kind of small motherboard thing and some other components. 

Yeah, after writing that, I'm sure you can see how awful I would be at doing this lol. But, if I find a cheap old laptop, I might actually give it a try just for the hell of it.