Register Now
Kane99

Cheap or expensive gaming headsets

When it comes to your gaming headsets, do you prefer going for the cheap headsets? Or do you go for the expensive ones with much better sound quality? Currently I am going to cheap route, as I have this cheap Onikuma gaming headset that I got on Amazon for like $25. I've had it for probably 3 years now, and I mostly use it on my PC for audio, but I'm surprised it's worked for so long. Most headsets I purchase die within a year or so.

I wouldn't mind getting an expensive headset one of these days, but I see no point in it. The headset I mentioned is stereo based, so I can also hear game audio and voice chat, and it works quite well. This was the headset I bought - Amazon

I kind of want one of those Razer headsets though, I hear they're really good! 🙂

19 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I go for more expensive ones, wireless and surround sound are bare minimum requirements for me.  I never buy wired headsets because the cables flex, bend, twist then inevitably break.  I'd rather spend £80 then waste £20.

I always go with braided cords as those seem to last a lot longer. The headset I use now has a braided cord and its held up quite well. But yeah, I want to eventually get a wireless headset to actually get away from all the cords. 

I have a wired Hyper-X gaming headset which cost me like $75 on Ebay. As Kane said, I'm thinking about going wireless as well eventually but at the moment I'm concentrating on the big Navi release so I can decide which GPU I'm going to buy for my new gaming PC build.

11 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I have a wired Hyper-X gaming headset which cost me like $75 on Ebay. As Kane said, I'm thinking about going wireless as well eventually but at the moment I'm concentrating on the big Navi release so I can decide which GPU I'm going to buy for my new gaming PC build.

I have a HyperX keyboard myself. Really good quality budget brand. 👍

3 hours ago, skyfire said:

Seinheisser. I prefer their brand for many reasons. Like said above I too prefer to spend more than ending up fixing low cost stuff. 

Sennheiser is an awesome brand. Went through a couple of the HD205 DJ headsets. Sadly they broke after a certain amount of time. First pair was under warranty, but not the second pair. Sucked, because I really liked the sound quality. I also like and hate the long cords for their headsets, because it can be a pain to deal with lol. But still, I love the brand even though I had some problems in the past.

On 10/19/2020 at 10:09 PM, Kane99 said:

Sennheiser is an awesome brand. Went through a couple of the HD205 DJ headsets. Sadly they broke after a certain amount of time. First pair was under warranty, but not the second pair. Sucked, because I really liked the sound quality. I also like and hate the long cords for their headsets, because it can be a pain to deal with lol. But still, I love the brand even though I had some problems in the past.

Some of the low end stuff do have quality assurance issue and cosnidering this years covid game I wont be surprised next 1 year of quality assurance issue with them. 

I used to just purchase the expensive kinds that come with the consoles generally, but even those broke from to time. I got fearful of buying any kind of headset so I just avoided headsets altogether. I also learnt in this time that most of the games I play I do not require a headset, so instead of wasting money on cheap knock-offs, I put that money to better use by spending it on other games or accessories.

I don't use a headset, but if anyone is interested in earbuds that have a microphone I recommend getting Raycons. The sound quality is perfect, and the microphone is perfectly clear. I use them a lot when I'm driving so I don't have to worry about trying to handle my phone and can just take care of the call. They're bluetooth and seamless. They're also comfortable as hell, and don't fall out.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

I don't use a headset, but if anyone is interested in earbuds that have a microphone I recommend getting Raycons. The sound quality is perfect, and the microphone is perfectly clear. I use them a lot when I'm driving so I don't have to worry about trying to handle my phone and can just take care of the call. They're bluetooth and seamless. They're also comfortable as hell, and don't fall out.

I got a pair of Raycons, they work wonderfully well, but I'm not sure I'd really use them for gaming. I mean, I suppose you could, but the mic isn't the greatest. But, I suppose I could always change the mic input to my main mic. I might give it a try. 

Buy cheap, buy twice 😛

I went for the more expensive setup back in 2012 and I'm still using the same equipment now.. So it has paid off

Also I believe the higher end headsets have a bigger soundstage so it's easier to accurately pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Sound balance is important as well, you don't want overpowering bass because it was drown out the quieter sounds.

On 11/16/2020 at 7:59 AM, Empire said:

Buy cheap, buy twice 😛

I went for the more expensive setup back in 2012 and I'm still using the same equipment now.. So it has paid off

Also I believe the higher end headsets have a bigger soundstage so it's easier to accurately pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Sound balance is important as well, you don't want overpowering bass because it was drown out the quieter sounds.

I've had my Hyper X gaming headset for about 4-5 years now and it still works perfectly and is so crisp...

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I've had my Hyper X gaming headset for about 4-5 years now and it still works perfectly and is so crisp...

Good to hear, I use the Astro A40 🙂 and had them far longer with the MixAmp. But with funds low I have to keep them even longer. 

7 hours ago, Empire said:

Good to hear, I use the Astro A40 🙂 and had them far longer with the MixAmp. But with funds low I have to keep them even longer. 

I'm aiming for a wireless headset next but I still haven't made up my mind yet. However, I'm still going to keep my Hyper X headset as backup...