Jump to content
Register Now
The Blackangel

Which platform is best for Skyrim?

Recommended Posts

I don't want to hear any PCMR or fanboy bullshit. I'm asking people an honest question, and I don't want answers from anyone who refuses to touch more than one platform.

The title says it all. I have Skyrim for both PS3 and Switch. The PS3 was so damn buggy it turned me off from the game for a very long time. So PS3 is OUT. I just got back into playing it again yesterday. I'm a n00b so I haven't gotten far, and don't remember names of towns or anything yet. I'm in the town at the beginning that you have to talk to the Jarl. The place that was under lockdown because of the dragon(s). I also don't know my way around the world of Skyrim, so there's that too.

But to those that have played it on more than one platform, which do you think is the best? The ones I have available to me are Switch, Xbox One, PS4, and PC. I'm enjoying the hell out of it on my Switch. It's a great game. But I just wonder if I decide I want to play it on a bigger screen or something, what would be my best option?

 

Oh and,
FUCK THOSE GOD DAMN WOLVES😡😡😡😡

Edited by The Blackangel
Link to post
Share on other sites

The best place to play Skyrim given the choice will always be PC. The variety and availability of mods you can have on PC that you can't on other platforms is staggering. The Switch is a cool place to play the game because it's a portable console, but still PC all the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Blackangel said:

At the moment, I’m not interested in mods, partially because I know nothing about them, and partially because I want to play the game honestly without modding it.

 

You can mod Skyrim without including cheats pretty easily, it's mostly graphical enhancements, bug fixes, gameplay improvements and additional in-game content. I completely understand why someone would want to beat the game in its vanilla state first, I'm the same in that regard. Modding be complicated and seems daunting at first, but there's lots of guides and helpful people who can help you get to grips with it. Our resident tech guru @Crazycrab, despite smelling like stagnant choral muck, is one of the best people I know to help you get started.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing Skyrim on the PC is the best option.  It's much less costly, enhanced graphics, runs better, and if you ever want to consider modding, that's the way to go.  Modifying the game doesn't necessarily mean installing cheats, it can be graphical improvements etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Someone suggest the ps4 cause I don't have a gaming computer. I've been eyeballing that game for a long time. Not sure I'm ready for it yet, because I still have to beat Witcher 3. Hmm, ps5 maybe? 

 

Well as our resident "tech Guru'' (apparently) I have a duty to be honest.  If you're talking about PS4 or XBox One then the XBox has the better port.  Although the modding capabilities through the Creation Club on both are somewhat limited compared to PC, the XBox does allow for script editing whereas the PS4 doesn't so it is more capable in that regard, especially if it is an XBox One X.  Also since Microsoft now own Bethesda there might not be a release on the PS5 at all.

 

13 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

At the moment, I’m not interested in mods, partially because I know nothing about them, and partially because I want to play the game honestly without modding it.

 

Your right, (maybe aside from cosmetic mods and bug fixes) it's best to play the game as intended first before doing anything crazy with mods  I would actually recommend finishing the game on the Switch before you try PC so your not tempted to use mods or Console Commands to get ahead (more on those later). 

 

With that being said, I'm sorry if the statement sounds like a broken record at this point, but PC is the best version even without mods.  It has the highest resolution textures and it's by far the most robust, especially with mods.  Then there are the Console Commands, some will say that they are usually used for cheating... and they're 100% correct but they are also useful for getting around certain bugs and issues.  For example if you get stuck in a wall you can use the console to clip through it, remove it to clear your path or move your character to another location instead of having to reload and lose your progress.  Or if a quest bugs out and you can't progress you can use the console to skip forward and continue.

Edited by Crazycrab
Link to post
Share on other sites

PC if you can, but generally the remastered version on the PS4 or Xbox One will do just fine as well. I want to get the PC version myself, but I believe I got it recently on my Xbox One, so I may as well download it soon and give it a go again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 3:33 PM, Shagger said:

You can mod Skyrim without including cheats pretty easily, it's mostly graphical enhancements, bug fixes, gameplay improvements and additional in-game content. I completely understand why someone would want to beat the game in its vanilla state first, I'm the same in that regard. Modding be complicated and seems daunting at first, but there's lots of guides and helpful people who can help you get to grips with it. Our resident tech guru @Crazycrab, despite smelling like stagnant choral muck, is one of the best people I know to help you get started.

 

On 10/24/2020 at 4:53 AM, Crazycrab said:

Your right, (maybe aside from cosmetic mods and bug fixes) it's best to play the game as intended first before doing anything crazy with mods. I would actually recommend finishing the game on the Switch before you try PC so your not tempted to use mods or Console Commands to get ahead (more on those later).

 

From what I've been reading here, the game is an open ended game with no actual end. How would you beat or finish such a game?

Or should I just stick with SMB?
LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

 

 

From what I've been reading here, the game is an open ended game with no actual end. How would you beat or finish such a game?

Or should I just stick with SMB?
LOL

Well, it can be completed story wise, but I believe it has like endless quests or something. When I played I had quest after quest. I never even beat the game, there's just so much to do. I remember my brother beat the story, but there's more side quests and other stuff you can do afterwards. I really need to replay it soon and actually finish the game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

I want to turn up the conversation a bit. I'm not a big PC gamer. So with PC not being a choice, what platform would be the better option?

 

There's not much in it but the best current console port will be on the XBox One X.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've played Skyrim on PS3, PS4, PC, Switch and Xbox 360. Of the consoles, it runs best on PS4, Xbox 360 and Switch. Long story short, Skyrim runs pretty damn well on the Switch (which is the version you own, I believe). Plus, playing Skyrim in handheld mode is truly impressive, though the battery doesn't last too long, unfortunately. Shameless plug: here's my specific review of the game on Switch -- https://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-nintendo-switch-edition-review/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...